How can Amazon be so successful and have such a bad search engine!

JakeJ

Oh, and I forgot to apologize to your wallet.  :)  It was not my intention to sell these but they are pretty cool and judging from the mostly european feedback everyone who bought one likes it.

So far I am.  Just have to figure out what I am doing wrong.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2023, 09:06 pm by JakeJ »

viggen

i tried finding the same cable a while back.  turns out such cable doesn't exist.

Wayner

Most of the time I find that Amazon is the MOST expensive. They are the Bose of the retail industry. All hype, no substance. For me, no dice.

JakeJ

Most of the time I find that Amazon is the MOST expensive. They are the Bose of the retail industry. All hype, no substance. For me, no dice.

Not trying to be pessimistic but could you cite some examples, please?  I find Amazon beats every retailer I have available hands down.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
This thread reminded me, I left 5 Frank Zappa CDs in my cart.
That will never do!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Iam forced to agree with Wayne, bezos = bose. The only thing worse than amaz us are amaz japan, no english option and ship only by expensive FedEx.

JakeJ

Update for JohnR-

So after an Amazon tutorial video link from the Chinese Tech Support folks and a couple of searches for specific terminology to finish the install I have my dual boot Windows 11/Ubuntu 22 up and running.  Now I just need to create a couple more small partions to load Volumio and Daphile on.  So far so good.

I'm interested to know how you like yours?

JakeJ

Well I burned most of the day trying to get Daphile or Volumio to install but that was total failure.  Much to learn have I.

I don't think I got either one properly loaded on thier respective USB sticks because they just don't install.  Daphile has a progress barr and it say installing then finding network connection.  Next a small red logo box appears on an all black screen and it says to start a web browser...and that's it.  Volumio just does nothing when I boot the PC.  Perhaps another tutorial tomorrow.

JohnR

Hah, cross-post. Glad you got the dual boot sorted at least, hoepfully the other distros will yield to another attempt.
I'm glad you mention about the M.2 slot, I also got the J4125, the M.2 slot definitely opens up more interesting possibilities even though the older of the two CPUs. Will be a week or two before it arrives, will let you know how it goes :)

jonbee

People vote with their wallets...
« Reply #29 on: 15 Jan 2023, 07:05 pm »
US top 4 online market share, June '22: Amazon, 37.8% ; Walmart, 6.3% ; Apple, 3.9% ; eBay, 3.5%. All big $ companies with plenty of resources to devote.
My wife and I buy from many online retailers. I usually find expensive specialties such as audio gear come from elsewhere, but smaller utility items often from Amazon. Great selection, reliable execution, very fast delivery. I'll pay a bit more for that.
My wife and I place about half our orders on Amazon, perhaps 200 orders per yr. over the last 20 years or so. After 3000 or so orders, we've never had an unsatisfactory outcome.
Searching is quirky, but I'm used to how it works.
Check out Amazon Renewed for truly incredible prices.
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2023, 05:01 pm by jonbee »

JakeJ

I like to think of myself as fairly smart shopper so I do shop around for almost everything but end up buying from Amazon because the prices is less or equal and with Prime free shipping it's a no-brainer for me.  I have not shopped online for personal commodities such as groceries, produce, or perishibles.  I have not used the shop online then pick up at the store because I'm not brand driven and always shop the sale items, look for clearance displays.  I think I get a lot of my shopping habits from my Mom, she used to chase coupons until the sun set.  Each time she prepped to shop there was a week of coupon gathering before the big day.  Ah, the good old days.  :lol:

The Linux saga continues - I found a different set of flash and install instructions for Volumio and I can run it from a USB stick.  But...I want to install and run it on it's own partition on my internal drive.  Still searching for that solution.  However I am able to listen to the web radio.

Daphile.  Hmm.  Grrrr!  Just cannot seem to get this do anything other than put up a big black screen with a tiny Daphile logo that says "Daphile now ready to use web browser" and there is an IP address but nothing to click on no apparent way to move forward.  Is it really worth it?

Oh well, I'll just keep at it.

JohnR

Ah, daphile is saying you need to access it from a browser on a separate computer. This would be a "headless" distro, so once the install is done you don't use the connected screen.

JakeJ

Ah.  Would the controller be a phone with an app?  Or just another PC on my home network?  Curious as why they do it like that?  I guess I'm just a bit old school on the digital music front.

Thanks for the info.

JohnR

It would be just another PC on your network.
To use phone, you could open the same address in a browser on the phone and it may work, depending on how the web interface was designed. Otherwise, it seems that squuzebox controller apps might work. (No actual experience with this distro myself!)

JakeJ

Thanks for the info.  Sounds kinda like Roon with a core and an endpoint.

I did find information on Daphile's website concerning dual or multi boot and they do not support it and have no plans to.  Still trying to figure out if I can put Volumio on a partition of its own and run it from there.  It is amazing how many distros are out there but one must be wary and research the software well.  I ddownlaoded and installed Xubuntu and found it clunky and odd to navigate.  Then I took a look at the software repository and it was empty.  They have stopped developing software and there appears to be little interest in that version.

I did get Volumio up and running so I listened to some of the internet radio stations.  Some were quite good.