Lavardin with Dulcet or De Capo-i

panderso

« on: 31 Mar 2005, 05:20 pm »
Many intriguing reviews on the Lavardin Integrateds - the IS Reference and the IT.  These products recently found North American distribution.
The reviews hit all the right buttons for me; full, musical low level detail even at low volume levels; convenience of SS with tube-like airiness...

They don't claim a lot of power output, but I don't push my speakers hard...

Has anyone heard them, in a position to compare with other quality integrateds, or comment on matching with Dulcets or De Capos?

CharlesL

« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2005, 11:17 am »
They seem to be very good and pure sounding amps, there's interesting stuff on their site about their "Memory Free" technology. The reviews I found are very positive. It's too bad though that they don't do remotes. :)

Anyway, if I was in the market for a new stereo amp I would definetely want to hear them on my De Capo's. Let us know your experience when you get the chance.

vinagunner

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2005, 10:59 am »
i've had the IT once. while sounding good, it's still no tub-amp (a good one!) in the midrange.

but be carefull, coz they tend to break down easily!  :evil:

budbrew

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2005, 06:06 pm »
That's the first I've heard about Lavardin amps being unreliable. Can you be more specific?

FCH

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2005, 10:07 am »
Quote from: vinagunner
i've had the IT once. while sounding good, it's still no tub-amp (a good one!) in the midrange.

but be carefull, coz they tend to break down easily!  :evil:

Could you please provide more details? Would you mind telling me which tube amp you compared the IT against? Did you also use Lavardin's own cables when making the comparison?

I have been thinking about getting a Lavardin to voice the MMDCi's; your comments would be much appreciated.  :)

vinagunner

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2005, 10:50 pm »
i known three people that have had problems with their IT. and just like myself one of the channel just broke down. if you're really unlucky it'd take your speakers along as well :( . please search the net for other unlucky users...

cost of repair? 2000 usd (they will "upgrade" some parts as well, but i suspect  all they do is to make the amp more reliable)! i've heard that the newest version of the IT is more reliable, but i just don't want to risk to go through hell again :? !

i'm using the ear-yoshino v20 (amazing amp. my friend gets superb result with his jmr offrande as well) right now and can tell you that it makes a great match with my current royal master mk2.( i used the IT with mmdc and later royal master mk1).

but if you MUST use a ss amp, then i'd consider the IT.

my 2 cents. make your own shot!  8)

edit: i didn't use lavardins own cables, but harm-tech, kimber and jps.

FCH

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2005, 03:16 am »
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I hope the newest version is much more reliable or I will have to think twice about getting a Lavardin...

budbrew

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2005, 03:36 am »
The latest Hifi+ reviews the IT and talks about the history of the Lavardin design. The newer models were designed by backtracking the implementation and improving on it. The original designer, the only guy who knew the design, died in a car accident some years ago. I think the review does make mention of the fact that many of the earlier models were unreliable. But that was then and I wouldn't take that for truth now.