X5 Turning on Subs After Amp Is On

Daryl Zero

X5 Turning on Subs After Amp Is On
« on: 30 Sep 2021, 04:49 am »
When I bought the X5s, one thing the seller told me to make sure I turned on the subwoofers after the amp was on or the subwoofers would vibrate (my friend called it a 60 cycle hum but I'm not sure). I've done it with no problem. The subs are different in that you can't just turn them on and leave them on unless, I guess, you leave the amp on. So you have to reach around each speaker and flick the rocker switch.

My friend suggested that this was because of the power supply. However, I looked at the User Manual and it is pretty sparse except it says:

** Important** The plate amps must be turned off first, before your main amp (and on last). If you plan on turning
your main amp off at the end of your listening session, consider running the plate amp power cords to your power
 conditioner or power strip. This allows powering up and powering down all the amps simultaneously.

So, I'm seeing this as a feature and not a bug. Any reason or thoughts about this? Should I just be having everything on one power source and hitting one thing to turn everything off an on as suggested? What do most of you do?

TomS

Re: X5 Turning on Subs After Amp Is On
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2021, 10:08 am »
I experienced this issue early on, and it's feedback of some sort. I've tried quite a few different power amps and some do it, some do not, also depends on the gain level setting. With my current Modwright KWH 225i I am able to leave them on all the time, with the gain ~8/10. On the other hand, my Cherry Golden mono-blocks go into "sleep mode" on their own, after a few minutes of silence, and I discovered that transition would set the bass amps oscillating each time. It's very annoying and there is no way to disable the sleep feature on those amps without sending them back to have it completely removed (also is a substantial cost).

So, Clayton's message is clear, just follow the turn on and turn off procedure and you'll be fine.

JTF

« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2021, 01:41 pm »
The X5 amps go to sleep after a few minutes if nothing is playing. I'm usually streaming, so I just turn the music off from my phone or whatever when I need to, then when I walk by the amp later on I turn it off, knowing that the plate amps are already off. I usually leave my amp on all day, and I don't have any problems. I leave the X5s in standby 24/7 unless I'm swapping gear.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2021, 02:26 pm »
I've not experienced my X3 amps going to sleep.  The couple of times I turned off my main power amp first, the X3s began to "howl".  Quite loudly.  Luckily, my power amp draws only 125 watts at idle.  I can live with that so I leave my DAC and AMP on 24/7.

Marcus

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2021, 01:13 am »
The X5 amps go to sleep after a few minutes if nothing is playing. I'm usually streaming, so I just turn the music off from my phone or whatever when I need to, then when I walk by the amp later on I turn it off, knowing that the plate amps are already off. I usually leave my amp on all day, and I don't have any problems. I leave the X5s in standby 24/7 unless I'm swapping gear.
I do the same, but the Cherries seem to be slightly shorter timeout than the Hypex, so they trigger it.