New Dulcet Owner question?

Mike G

« on: 27 Feb 2005, 06:08 am »
Does anyone know what amplifiers were used to drive the Dulcets at CES?

I'm currently using an Audio Research Classic 60 which sounds pretty good. Would love to hear the ASL Monsoons. However there are no dealers close by.

panderso

« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2005, 11:26 pm »
Cannot answer your direct question, but I home-auditioned the Dulcets with the ASL 1001 Integrated, and thought that a very fine combo.  I suspect the Monsoons would be a very good bet...along with some of ASLs more robust integrateds.  If you e-mail Divergent Technologies they may have your answer; they were very helpful to me in suggesting amp pairings for Dulcets - both their own lines and others.

Happy hunting.

Mike G

I just e-mail Divergent.
« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2005, 01:36 am »
They recommended that I try the 1001 on the low end, and did not recommend any of there higher end amps. They also mentioned other amps including some solid state. What amp did you end up with or have you decided yet.

Also did the 1001 have enough power to drive the Dulcets in triode mode?

panderso

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2005, 03:20 pm »
As much as I liked the sound of the AQ 1001, I didn't end up going the tube route for now.  WAF was a big factor, but so was the amount of heat thrown into my smallish room.  I didn't notice any lack of power with the 1001, but I don't push the speakers particularly hard.  Being fairly new to tubes, I didn't really experiment with different modes of operation.

It's a bit of a long story, but I traded in an unsuitably large and expensive megawatt amp for a new Naim Nait 5i and Naim CD5x.  I'm very pleased with that partnership in my near-field listening set-up. Some reviewers have described the Nait sound as on the warm and tubey side.  To me, much like the Dulcets,  the Nait it seems very clean, natural, unadorned. Certainly, there is no sense of  harshness or any etched effect.

I'm in no position to say that Nait + Dulcet = the very best, but I never find the music fatiguing through this system.  It's a bit of a cliche, but you feel like you're just enjoying the music, not listening to equipment. I don't doubt that it is possible to better the Nait with enough money and searching.  It's just that I no longer feel the need...

That said, the ASL tubes had their own magic. Here then, is what was shared with me; (I have no connection to the music biz, except as a consumer - all references to 'supplied by us', editorial comments etc. are from Divergent)

Antique Sound Lab.;
AQ 1003 DT, 30 WPC, $1295.00;
Well made classic design unusually good sound at a very reasonable price.

AQ 1001 DT, 50/29 (triode) WPC, $1895.00
Very high performance, easy to use and offering excellent value.

AQ 1010 DT, 18 WPC, SET, $2995.00
Designed strictly for high performance, is one of our best sounding  amplifiers. Can easily compete with other at twice the price.

Leyla, 22 WPC with 845 tubes, $3995.00
Truly a state of the art concept in tube design and a real bargain considering similar designs selling at much more.

Copland CSA 29, 80 WPC, $3995.00
Newly re-designed tube solid state hybrid. It is power full fast and warm sounding.

Others we tried (not supplied by us):

Audio Zone amplifiers www.audiooasis.com.
Ultra simple hand built  purist solid state designs from a tiny Canadian company. Yet to hear a better solid state amplifier. with our loudspeakers.    

Exposure 2010 integrated:
Simple and surprisingly good at less than $800.00

Monarchy mono power amplifiers
Very good solid state sound and a good value.

Mike G

I e-mail Tosh Goka as you seggested.
« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2005, 07:01 am »
This was his reply: A few different amplifier combinations were used with the DULCET set up at CES.
ASL Leyla DT 845 Integrated amplifier, selling price $3495.00 USD.
ASL AQ 1001 DT integrated amplifier,           "       $1495.00 USD.

ASL Monsoon mono power amplifiers ($2995.00 a pair) with the new FLORA transformer preamplifier ($2500.00).

The reason I asked was because I read a review, which I can't find now, however I remember the reviewer stating that he thought one of the Dulcet set ups was as good as any at the show in his opinion.

They keep sounding better and better with my ARC gear so I think I'll try some new wire before I rush into anything else.

panderso

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2005, 03:15 pm »
Mike;       Thanks for this, very interesting to hear about the CES experience with Dulcets. I can just about imagine the kind of reaction that set up would produce; how can all that music sing out from those little speakers?
                You've renewed my interest in tube gear generally and ASL in particular.  Everything I've heard about ARC leads me to expect it would also be an excellent partnership with Dulcets.  I have a line on a very good price on an ASL 1001 DT - may start there and work up to a Leyla, smuggle them in when my wife's not looking, hide them during the day...

Meanwhile, I'm going to start with an ASL headphone amp to get acquainted with the SET experience.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2005, 05:08 pm »
I would not forget trying out some of the newer less expensive digital receivers from JVC, SONY or Panasonic (probably the JVC as it's touted to have more balls than the rest).

The new models are on pre-order from J&R.com.

I think you should audition the Dulcets with the Legend Audio/Von Gaylord Starlett integrated amp.  I think that amp is a great match.  Powerful Push-pull with plenty of drive to push the Dulcets (the Duclets need more power to get them really going).

Also the BOW Wazoo integrated.

YBA Integre integrated.

Plinius integrated amps (8100, 8200, 9100, 9200).

Sim Audio Moon integrated amp(s).

I've listened extensively to all the above mentioned amps(except the JVC digital receivers) but the next one I have not heard yet though it's getting plenty of hot print lately.

I've not heard the latest DK Designs VS1 mkII integrated but it seems a lovely choice.  Plenty of power to get the Dulcets rockin', tubes in the mix, and power to spare.

panderso

« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2005, 07:57 pm »
I think you should audition the Dulcets with the Legend Audio/Von Gaylord Starlett integrated amp. I think that amp is a great match. Powerful Push-pull with plenty of drive to push the Dulcets (the Duclets need more power to get them really going).

Also the BOW Wazoo integrated.

YBA Integre integrated.

Plinius integrated amps (8100, 8200, 9100, 9200).

Sim Audio Moon integrated amp(s).

I've listened extensively to all the above mentioned amps(except the JVC digital receivers) but the next one I have not heard yet though it's getting plenty of hot print lately.

I've not heard the latest DK Designs VS1 mkII integrated but it seems a lovely choice. Plenty of power to get the Dulcets rockin', tubes in the mix, and power to spare.

Well Heavystarch; I'd like to hear them all.  Of your relatively high-end recommendations, only the SimAudio Moon I-3 and I-5 are stocked in my town, but with some time and travel, I might get to hear the rest.
I'd be fascinated to hear more about your experience with YBA and Plinius with Dulcets.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2005, 04:48 pm »
Panderoso,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner on my experience with those amps.

Two years ago at CES a local Vegas audiophile brought in his Plinius 8200 integrated amp and wanted to hear it with the Dulcets as well as the De Capo-i's.  Since the Dulcets were already set up, they obliged and started there.

The Plinius had plenty of control and grip; very authoritative sound but since I didn't stick around for more than a few songs I couldn't give you any more insight other than it was a match I would consider.

I heard the YBA integre and just loved the sound but it was with some other monitor speaker (I think the Proac Tablette).  Very seductive sound that I think would match up well with the Dulcets.

The Sim Audio I-5 is just a great integrated amp and I always recommend people listen to it if they are in the market for integrateds (our local hi-fi shop used to carry sim audio stuff but has since gone full custom home theater and dropped the Sim line).

panderso

« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2005, 07:07 pm »
Heavystarch; Many thanks for this.  I'm quite intrigued by all I've heard about the YBA Passion Integre as a possible match.  It will take special arrangements, but I may get to a proper audition someday.  It is very expensive here, but I've never heard anything but praise for it.

The Simaudio I-5 and I-3 are quite accessible here, and I've heard them briefly and thought both very good candidates.

For now, the Naim Nait 5i is working beautifully with the Dulcets; it's almost ridiculous just how well, if you stop to consider its price. When listening, I never do...

Another integrated line that has intriguing reports is the Lavardin family; IT and IS Reference.  They look plainer and are less costly than the YBA, but seem to hit similar buttons for reviewers.  Any experience with Lavardin and Reference 3a?