Renewing My Maggie Vows

ajzepp

Renewing My Maggie Vows
« on: 19 Jun 2020, 06:40 pm »
I purchased MMGs on a whim in 2005 and fell in love. In 2009, I decided to go big and picked up some 3.6s, which I've had and loved since. My housemate likes them too, but she's never been crazy about how they dominate the living room. So, like many of us, I didn't need much of an excuse to start looking around for new speakers. I figured ten years was a really great run, but maybe a change would be fun.

I had a really good audition with the very popular Buchardt S400s. These are fantastic 2-way monitors, and I have to say they were very impressive. The idea of downgrading to smaller Maggies was a thought I was resisting, because I figured I would not be happy investing money for a lesser version of what I already had. Well, I was in for a surprise.

I was considering the LRS, but after talking with my local Audio shop and Magnepan, they gently nudged me in the direction of the .7 instead. I asked Magnepan to play Devil's Advocate and give me some reasons why a 3.6 owner would ever consider going with a .7 and being happy with the decision.

Fast Forward to today, I've had the .7s here in my living room for several weeks now. The overall form factor is much more reasonable for this room, and as crazy as it sounds, I'm enjoying them more than I was the 3.6s. The one selling point that Magnepan put forth was that this speaker was more coherent overall than the 3.6. Is there less low end? Yes. Is the overall soundstage smaller? Yes. Do I miss the true ribbon tweeter? Yes. BUT...these have proved Magnepan exactly right. They are the smoothest, most coherent, fun to listen to speakers I've ever owned. The low end is surprisingly potent, they image like a boss, the instrumental separation is fantastic, and I could not be happier.

I'm not saying the .7 is a better speaker than the big 3.6...but I am saying that i like it better, and I'm very happy with this purchase. Great job, Magnepan!  :thumb:

mcmusicman

Re: Renewing My Maggie Vows
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2020, 02:37 am »
I'm so glad I read your post OP.  I've been looking and considering moving up to a set of 3.7i for some time now. But along comes a typical Friday, I listen to some new release Qobuz high res tracks with my 1.7s and I tell myself, "no way these ever get sold". I'm not sure bigger is always better and for the last 6 months all I havedone is listen to music. (Besides replacing an amp that was humming)  Finally, I think to myself....what will the 1.8 and 3.8 be like? Hmmm. Looking for speakers is easy, I just wait on something new to happen in White Bear Lake. My Magnepan vows at this point are the opposite of my ex wifes.  ;)

« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2020, 11:06 pm by mcmusicman »

twitch54

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2020, 02:48 pm »
Happiness comes in all shapes and sizes ! ....  :thumb:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2020, 11:04 pm »
I went the other way from :thumb: 3.6 to 20.7s. I stalled doing so because I thought they would be too much in my small apartment. I nfact I did not trade in orsell my 3.6 just in case.. for a few months..
Nope just right.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2020, 12:34 am »
What made them suggest the .7 over the LRS?

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2020, 03:34 pm »
What made them suggest the .7 over the LRS?

They thought the LRS was too small for my space. The room in the photo is very open with a high ceiling, so they said the .7 was the smallest they’d go. Im truly shocked at how good these are. I honestly didnt expect to feel like it was an upgrade, but these little Maggies are fantastic.

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2020, 03:35 pm »
I'm so glad I read your post OP.  I've been looking and considering moving up to a set of 3.7i for some time now. But along comes a typical Friday, I listen to some new release Qobuz high res tracks on my 1.7 and I tell myself, "no way these ever get sold". I'm not sure bigger is always better and for the last 6 months all I have done is listen to music. (Besides replacing an amp that was humming)  Finally, I think to myself....what will the 1.8 and 3.8 be like? Hmmm. Looking for speakers is easy, I just wait on something new to happen in White Bear Lake. My Magnepan vows at this point are the opposite of my ex wifes.  ;)

Lol! Happy Listening :)

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2020, 06:47 pm »
Fun story.

I’m considering this too.

Having sold my 1.6’s  and gone through some stand mounts and a DIY experiment, I’ve sold most of it off and am waiting for a pair of MMG to appear locally.

I’ll have this dedicated space for another decade at most, and won’t ever again likely have that kind of freedom.

I had MMG’s briefly before I went to the 1.6’a.  MMG sounded excellent to me and I still used a sub with the much larger 1.6’s.

My cats were the end of the 1.6’s.  MMG I think I can cover easily when not in use and protect them. 

We will see. 

Craig B

« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2020, 01:32 pm »
My story isn't identical by any means, but it fits the thread title.  :wink:

I had MG-1s that I bought new in 1978, and loved dearly for 20 years before living circumstances dictated selling them for something smaller. After a few years with a popular satellite/sub setup, I bought a pair of Meadowlark Kestrel 2s and enjoyed the hell out of them for about a dozen years. About that time, my brother, who despite my experience had never had Maggies before for himself, decided to get a pair of 20.1s. That gave me the itch again. My budget is nowhere near his, nor is the size of my listening room, so I went to listen to a pair of .7s at our local dealer and fell in love all over again. That was about a year ago, and I've been very happily back in the Maggie fold since then.

JakeJ

« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2020, 04:43 pm »
Great stories and nice rooms you have.

I bought a pair of 3.6r's late February of this year.  I absolutely love the sound but they do dominate my room and moving them is a huge PITA for me due a bad back.  So now I'm thinking about a pair of 1.7i as that would be the right size for my space.  Although it would be cool to try a pair of 20.7 as they are not all that much larger than the 3.6r.  But that doesn't fit the easy-to-move format.  The 1.7i does.

Hmmm

fridays

« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2020, 02:07 am »
I was thinking about getting the LRSs but now wondering if I should go up to the 1.7s
This will be for a second system vinyl only, a large room but I enjoy near field listening

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2020, 02:41 pm »
I guess it depends upon what size that room is - the 20.7s require a lot more space.
More bass output and the mylar starts fairly high off of the floor so you need to be back quite a bit and set them wider.
However, if you have the room DO IT, DO IT, NOW.

You'll be really glad you did.

You're going to lose the ribbon and some low end with the 1.7s and you'll lose some detail.
They're close but it's a set down.
The 20.7s are two giant steps up, they're not just bigger 3.7s.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2020, 05:28 pm »
I was thinking about getting the LRSs but now wondering if I should go up to the 1.7s
This will be for a second system vinyl only, a large room but I enjoy near field listening

Definitely go for the 1.7i's.  I have a friend that has the 1.7's in a very small room in a near field configuration and dual Rythmik subs and high end electronics and his system sounds great.  Keep in mind that you need electronics that sounds good at low volumes to pair with Maggies if doing a near field config or you like to listen at low volumes.  I had a Pass preamp to go with my Pass amp with my 1.6's.  It sounded great at low volumes with great dynamics and musicality.  However, I upgraded to a BAT tube preamp that blows it away except at low volumes.

jk@home

« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2020, 03:40 pm »
Hey ajzepp, what is the size of the room your new .7s are in?

And a comment. I find it interesting that folks who go back to box speakers after planars many times take the monitor route. I did this myself, going from MMGs to KEF LS50s, keeping the existing subs in the dedicated audio room. The KEFs seemed to work perfectly in the 12 x 15 music room.

But recently decided to move the KEFs into a "lifestyle, semi-serious" HT Dolby Atmos system, to be built later this year (5.1.4, with the KEFs as the LCR, multiple subs under the KEFs in a media console built-in, and inwalls on the walls and ceiling).

The genius of the plan was I would replace the KEFs with Maggie 1.7s. But can't afford that now, so temporarily moved some old Paradigm Studio 60V3s towers, which were part of the old HT system, into the music room. I've noticed that, even though the sound isn't as "fun" as the KEFs, and I miss the backwave of Maggies, obviously the bass is better (w/o subs) and there is more depth to the soundstage. With still the same imaging, etc. So a conundrum of sorts of which way to go next.

Luckily I don't have to decide anytime soon  :) The new HT system will be taking up the budget in the next year.

brooklyn

« Reply #14 on: 29 Aug 2020, 01:34 am »
Well, I thought I would throw my hat in the ring here. I started a thread last year asking if I should get the LRS or the .7’s. I listened to everyones views as to which ones to get. Steve Ford actually helped me make my final decision.. While the the new LRS were tempting at the price I wanted more surface area without going too big.

I decided to go with the .7’s.. my last pair of Maggies were the MMG’s. I thought anything bigger then the .7’s in my room might be a bit much.. A short time after having them I reluctantly decided to get an REL T5i Sub even though I didn’t think I really needed it and my past interactions with subwoofers had me thinking getting one was a big mistake.. I decided to take the plunge anyway with some encouragement from our forum members.. Once I got the T5 dialed in the sound was seamless with the .7’s. I do like classic rock on occasion so the sub helped in that regard..

My next move after reading another thread on the forum was to update the stands. I decided on a set of Magna Risers AirBorne Stands which would get the speaker up about 4 inches from the floor. I think they now sound more robust with even better imagining. I thought the stands were a relatively cheap upgrade for the added benefit in sound.. I think they also look better on these stands..

At 65 years old I decided to put my forever system together, if you can believe that. So far I don’t have any complaints.. I had a couple of buddies over a few months back to have a listen.. One said before he left that I ruin him.. My system was the best he’s heard in a long time and he’s got some good vintage gear.. I feel this is my best system to date and lord knows I’ve had some dandies in the 40 plus years of this hobby.

Happy listening everybody.. That’s what I’m doing..

johnto

« Reply #15 on: 29 Aug 2020, 01:22 pm »
Nice looking system enjoy.
For anyone looking at 1.7i there are several pair on usaudiomart for sale.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #16 on: 29 Aug 2020, 06:40 pm »
  Enjoy it Man. That is what it is all about. Personal satisfaction.

charles

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 30 Aug 2020, 12:15 am »
It's all my fault!

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #18 on: 30 Aug 2020, 12:18 pm »
If I were to go back to the Maggie fold it would be an easy decision, LRS. I would mate them with dual GR Research open baffle, stacked subs. Crossed over around 120 hz. Or, perhaps a pair of the Rythmik FN8s. In that case I would cross over even higher, perhaps near 200 hz, making panel size a mute point. 

Then would come, rigid, custom stands so my ears were near the mid point of the speaker. That my friends would be a poor man’s hybrid Maggy that they are developing. The LRS’s narrower baffle would be an advantage in the imaging department.

Being a tube guy I would probably bypass the maggy crossover and go active. Then get another Musical Paradise 501, 50 watt, amp and pray 100 watts if tube joy would be enough. Does anyone know the LRS crossover point, 700 hz?

Rocket Ronny - Always taking the road less travelled.

brooklyn

« Reply #19 on: 30 Aug 2020, 06:16 pm »
It's all my fault!

Yep Steve,
You are an instigator of sorts but I’m glad you’re here.  :D