First OB project, looking for suggestions/critics

AngeloMM

First OB project, looking for suggestions/critics
« on: 16 Jun 2020, 12:16 pm »
Hello everyone,
as I write in my presentation I like to build loudspeakers since many years but until now I have worked only with closed box and bass reflex, never tried the OB way.
Actually I'm thinking at my first OB project but I'm unsure about the design and the drivers to use: in my mind there are two designs, one using two 15" + two 6" midrange + two tweeters (MTM configuration with one tweeter in the back) and one using four 12" + two 6" midrange + two tweeters (same configuration), here is the draft:

Left one is 180cm (6') tall, right one is 210cm (6' 11") tall, space behind the loudspeakers will vary between 1 and 3 meters (3' 3" and 9' 10") due the oblique ceiling.
For budget reason speaking about the 15" I'm thinking about Eminence Beta 15, still looking for the 12".
I'll initially drive those dipoles with my bi-amp capable HT amplifier, given for 120Watt for channel at 8 ohm (cannot go under that impedance), using passive crossovers... in the future I'll move to a multiple amplifiers setup and, possibly, active crossovers but yet to decide, anyway I'd like to build a loudspeaker that is good for my actual setup as well as for my next one without changing all the components.
What I do not consider is the following:

- coaxials drivers
- full-range drivers

this is a prerequisite.
That said, as I am a completely newbie about OB loudspeakers I'm here to ask you if this kind of setup is a good start or if you see any critical points.
Thank you in advance!
Best regards

Angelo

matevana

Re: First OB project, looking for suggestions/critics
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2020, 10:22 pm »
Hi Angelo,

Many on this forum have started with a simpler project (or proven design) as our first dipole project since baffles are easy to build and fun to experiment with. You will learn a lot about how open-baffle speakers sound and how they are different from boxed speakers. Once you have experienced some of the challenges first-hand, (i.e., baffle width, dipole cancellation, room interaction, etc.) it will be easier to plan and design a more complex system, perhaps even reusing some of the same components. By experimenting first, you may find that your revised design looks a lot different from your initial sketches.       

Good luck!

TabCam

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2020, 10:36 pm »
Look at the PureAudioProject and clones and keep the tweeter either as close to ear level as possible or angle the loudspeaker slightly.

If I look at the first design, I would rather go for the WMTMW design than a WWMTM design.

You do not want to use a widebander but the crossover is much easier.

AngeloMM

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2020, 10:19 pm »
Hello,
thank you for your answers!
Regarding the first design I managed to have the tweeter almost at 120cm high, that's the reason I haven't chosen a WMTMW design but I can consider even this configuration.

Angelo