What are my options for Netflix, Amazon Video, Disney+, etc. digital decoding?

jd3

To start with, I already have a separate HT system in the basement.  I've had the tv in the living room hooked up to my dac via optical (which works) through my hifi setup.  Unfortunately my dac, like most hifi dacs, doesn't decode dolby digital which streams via Netflix, etc., so no sound.  I've purchased a soundbar and it works with the streaming services but the sound kind of sucks...better than my tv but dialogue is not the best.  I know I can spend big bucks on soundbars but I'd rather listen through my hifi setup if possible.  My dac (Benchmark DAC3L) does have HT bypass, and I've thought about just buying a cheap HT receiver with main preouts and run through the Benchmark.  The other option I've considered is a higher end processor that I could use as a preamp, but I'm concerned I'd sacrifice 2 channel sound quality.  The rest of my system is PS Audio M700's, Salk Streamer and Salk Encores.  My wife's recently had a knee replacement so she's not going up and down stairs, so using the HT setup isn't an option, but I'd like a long term option for the living room regardless.  Any thoughts?

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
If you have your dac already hooked to the TV all you need to do is hit play for audio. 

Just check the audio out settings on your tv are set for stereo.

Some timing/sync of the audio could be encountered if the audio was picked up from the cable box or like connection.

Alan

jd3

TV works fine through the dac.  No sound though if streaming Netflix or Amazon since they are dolby digital.  That's my issue.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
I would check the audio output settings on the TV for the feed to the DAC.   As I recall mine (and it is OLD)  defaulted to AUTO with stereo and 5.1 as options and a good old MONO.

As far as Netflix and 5.1 that is a option for some viewing under audio settings.  https://help.netflix.com/en/node/14163

And you might have to reset each time.  If the TV has a output selection that would probably be the best.  I don't have any experience with the rest of the platforms.

My Comcast box has some hard to find audio settings.  And I had the echo timing issues. 

Alan

jd3

Witchdoctor, thanks.  Looks like that could work.