The Universals - A DIY Open Baffle System

katariat

Re: The Universals - A DIY Open Baffle System
« Reply #20 on: 30 Apr 2020, 02:50 pm »
these are great ideas...with easy access to Ikea we can experiment a lot more. Can you post some possible drivers for the combinations...that would be extremely helpful

matevana

« Reply #21 on: 30 Apr 2020, 03:47 pm »
these are great ideas...with easy access to Ikea we can experiment a lot more. Can you post some possible drivers for the combinations...that would be extremely helpful

This is very much dependent on the size of the baffle that you ultimately select.  Take a look at reply #13 in this thread for instance. If you use an 18 x 30 inch baffle for example, it would be possible to fit up to two 10" woofers plus a small full range driver in the center. Recommendations for specific drivers fall in line with other recommended drivers on this circle, i.e., the Universals are more of a mounting system than a documented speaker project.

In practice, I use them to test drivers in open baffles, as it is simple to have multiple drivers/baffles and swap them in minutes.

pboser

« Reply #22 on: 18 May 2020, 08:35 pm »
Hi,
I love this approach.  I saw it previously, and forgot about it until now.  And now I have time on my hands for projects, and if I don't feel like taking the trip Ikea will ship!
I have a couple of questions:  do you think you are sacrificing potential bass with the baffle not going all the way down to the floor?
Also, do you think it would be possible to mount one board going down for a woofer, and then a separate one on top?  I like to experiment with different drivers, and this would make it easy to have smaller baffles with different drivers premounted.  I'm thinking of the 18" wide panels, 30" for the lower (woofer) part, and then 15" ones for the upper end.  Do you think the brackets would be strong enough?
Thanks for a great idea, and for keeping up with the discussion.
Pete

matevana

« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2020, 10:24 pm »
I have a couple of questions:  do you think you are sacrificing potential bass with the baffle not going all the way down to the floor?

Not in my case since I was using them as satellites, but if you are contemplating large woofer(s) you can benefit from mounting them close to the floor and extending the baffle all the way down. 

Also, do you think it would be possible to mount one board going down for a woofer, and then a separate one on top? 

Yes, with some modifications. Here’s a few things to consider:

I suggest using both halves of the L-brackets (upper/lower) for the lower (heavier) baffle. You will need this for strength and to minimize vibration. Think about putting rubber feet on the bottom edge of the lower baffle and extending it to the floor, which will give you an additional support point.   

Keep in mind the baffle’s extension is determined by the depth of the component shelf. Be mindful of the depth of the woofer(s), as you don’t want the driver’s magnet to contact the stand’s cylindrical column behind it.

If you do something similar to the above, you will need a new way to mount the upper baffle that you are proposing.  You can come off the top of the component shelf (strong) and inset the upper baffle an inch or two. This will be help align the smaller driver(s) acoustic center to that of the woofers.     

If that's a bit confusing, I can try to sketch something for you.

Jon L

« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2020, 11:43 pm »
Here's a few additional configuration possibilities using the same stand/bracket system:

1) 2 X 10" Woofers + Tweeter/FR in 18" x 30" Baffle

2) 15" Woofer + Tweeter/FR in 21" x 40" Baffle (widen component shelf to 15")

3) 2 X 15" Woofers + Tweeter/FR in 21 x 50" Baffle (widen component shelf to 15")

I like the option 2) and 3) with Eminence Alpha 15" woofers (Qts 1.26)
https://www.parts-express.com/eminence-alpha-15a-15-driver--290-407

Plus a really nice 1.4" compression driver in appropriate waveguide.  Crossing at 1kHz or so should be no problem in home setting.
https://audioxpress.com/article/test-bench-radian-audio-engineering-745pb-1-4-compression-driver

newrival

« Reply #25 on: 19 May 2020, 03:26 am »
I like option 3, particularly to raise impact from the woofers. Acoustic elegance’s 15” OB driver is worth a look as well. It’s an amazing performer, and my next OB choice. The eminence alphas are great too, And work really well in an active system.

matevana

« Reply #26 on: 19 May 2020, 01:39 pm »
Hey Pete,

This is what I had in mind. You can use an additional L-bracket coming off the top of the component shelf for the upper baffle. This will be strong, and allow the existing upper and lower brackets to support the full weight of the lower baffle. Measure the depth of your woofer and adjust the component shelf dimensions so the magnet clears the stand. Extending the lower baffle to the floor will add stability.

This will let you swap upper baffles for new drivers, and help better align the acoustic centers of large and small drivers. For perspective, I'm showing the design with an 18" woofer below and an 8" full range driver above. You can adjust the individual baffles to accommodate your own driver designs.

pboser

« Reply #27 on: 19 May 2020, 05:40 pm »
Wow, that's great - thank you for the sketch!

Thank you for mentioning the need to push the lower board forward so the woofer magnet clears the stand - great point.

I was thinking that the upper baffle might simply attach to the top of the lower one, rather than to the component shelf.  But I like the idea of trying to align the driver centers too.

I have one more question- on your parts list, where do the o-rings get used? (And do the bolts need washers?)

Thank you again- this (along with the stay-at-home time on my hands) might just be the plan I've needed to play around with the collection of wide range drivers I've got sitting around!

Pete

matevana

« Reply #28 on: 19 May 2020, 06:13 pm »
I believe you are describing something like this below. The O-rings go between the L-bracket and the baffle, around each mounting bolt. The idea is to float the baffle so it doesn't come in contact with the plastic bracket. I ended up using black oxide locking nuts (with the plastic insert) just b/c it was a cleaner look, instead of a separate lock washer.

Freecrowder

« Reply #29 on: 29 Dec 2020, 05:36 pm »
Just came across this looking into OB DIY design.  Very good ideas.  Looked up the table X stand and noticed they are now around 115 a piece now.   :o

matevana

« Reply #30 on: 29 Dec 2020, 07:10 pm »
Hi,

A quick web search shows that Amazon has them for $51 including shipping. Typically I correspond with 1-2 people every month who build a version of this system, and they are still able to find them closer to the original price. Apparently with COVID many school renovations are taking place so availability varies on these table bases, which are often used in school cafeterias and on college campuses.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #31 on: 29 Dec 2020, 07:41 pm »

delete wrong thread
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2020, 09:28 pm by rajacat »