VR-111 XS technology and specifications

htradtk

Re: VR-111 XS technology and specifications
« Reply #20 on: 8 Dec 2015, 11:06 pm »
WOW! I would have to say this is probably the best audio setup in the world period!! A list of all equipment would be nice! I can't imagine the sound! A you tube video would be nice also! Enjoy!

Henry

JackD201

« Reply #21 on: 9 Dec 2015, 01:54 am »
Sure Henry Here you go

Analog (LP)
 TechDAS Air Force One with Durand Arms  Clearaudio GFS, Lyra Atlas carts
 TechDAS Air Force Two Custom with Graham ELite and Kuzma 4-Point Koetsu Lapis Lazuli limited and TechDAS TD Ti
 EMT JPA-66 Custom phonostage

Analog (Tape)
 3 x Studer A820 in half and quarter inch
 1 x Studer A80
 1 x ATR and Aria
 1 x King Cello Custom Tape Preamps
 3 x Doshi Custom Tape Preamps

Amplification
 VAC Statement Linestage
 VAC 450iq Statement  (M/T)
 WAVAC 833 1.3 (M/T alternate)
 VTL Sigfried Mk2 (midbass)

Digital
 Emmlabs stack
 *incoming Lampi computer and GG

Racks and vibration footers
 Critical Mass Systems Black Platinum QXK racks
 Critical Mass Systems Maxxum amp stands
 Critical Mass RiZE footers here and there
 Critical Mass Maxxum Crossover stand developed together with VSA design team specifically for the crossover cabinets of the 111

Cabling
 Master-Built Ultra throughout
 Shunyata PCs Typhons and Tritons
 Shunyata Cyclops' for amps

Power
 Industrial voltage/current stabilizers and protection used primarily for precision security printing presses ( the machines that print things like checks and money)

Loudspeakers
 We know that part ;)  :thumb:

kernelbob

« Reply #22 on: 9 Dec 2015, 12:36 pm »
Fantastic system!  One question... does"Shunyata PCs" mean "Power Cords" or "Power Conditioners"?  If the system is using Shunyata Power Cords, it's high time they were replaced with MasterBuilt Signature power cords.  I own multiple Shunyata power cords and used them throughout my system for years.  When I did finally try the MasterBuilt Signature power cords the improvement was dramatic and am running all my amplification and DACs with MB Sigs.

I still have leftover Shunyata Python CX power cords running the subwoofers of my VR100XS system, but when I compared the subs with MB Sigs, the improvement was obvious even on the subs with more palpable bass, better definition, more musical.  Given the extreme quality of the rest of the VR111XS system, the MasterBuilt Signatures will have you muttering to yourself, looking for adjectives.

JackD201

« Reply #23 on: 9 Dec 2015, 04:17 pm »
Both Robert. Jim is pretty happy with his Helix'. It sounds so good I don't know if it can even get better.

Personally, all my power cords are MB Signatures including the 20A cords into my Cyclops' and QB8. The only Shunyatas I have left go into the Subs on the 11s. Hard to justify the price for sub duty. Besides they are heavy cords so I don't like the thought of them dangling by the IECs over 5 feet in the air. Seems a recipe for disaster.

kernelbob

« Reply #24 on: 10 Dec 2015, 12:29 am »
Jack,

I agree that running MB Signature power cords on subwoofers is a bit of overkill-- I'm also running a leftover pair of Shunyata power cords to my XS15 subwoofers.  My point was that even when only the deepest bass is in play, the MB Sigs were clearly better than the Shunyatas.  On the bass and mid/tweeter amps, the MB power cords will let those 111's really strut their stuff.  Unless the cost if the MasterBuilt Signature power cords is a budgetary issue, they're at least worth an audition.

By the way, I use desktop microphone stands to avoid stressing the power cords (as well as SCs and ICs).  On the 100's I use microphone boom stands to take the load off of the speaker cables.  I'm sure those boom stands would be easily concealed behind the various cabinets of the 111's.

Best,
Robert

JimmyRD11

« Reply #25 on: 10 Dec 2015, 01:02 am »
Hi Robert and Jack,

Thank you very much for the kind compliments.

The Power Cords in use for all the components are combinations of Shunyata's Sigma Series, HC's, Analog's and Digital's where appropriate. Separately, Zitron Anacondas are used for the 111's S/W plate amps and a few other components.

I've been wondering how the MB power cords would perform in the room... judging from how they do in Jack's system, "outstanding" would be a weak word to use!

Jim

gammajo

« Reply #26 on: 10 Dec 2015, 04:23 am »
For what it is worth even with the very clean power that I have, a full set of Master Built signature Power cords made an excellent difference in my system with probably most significant with my mono amps ,and second with my Ayon preamp which has its own excellent tubed power supply

JackD201

« Reply #27 on: 10 Dec 2015, 01:35 pm »
Hi Jimmy

For kicks I counted how many power cords you would need to replace the existing ones. 28, TWENTY EIGHT. Twenty friggin' Eight. No wonder watching you power up is like watching pre-flight at NASA.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I need an Advil.   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert,

Hmmm. The mic stand thing sounds cool. Now behave and stop giving me ideas. I have a wife and kids to support!  Besides, I need capital to import the now in planning VR.......  :icon_twisted::green:

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #28 on: 10 Dec 2015, 02:29 pm »
..are the VR11s now in your subterranean lair?

JackD201

« Reply #29 on: 10 Dec 2015, 03:54 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #30 on: 10 Dec 2015, 04:15 pm »
Can you take pictures of the listening seats from the equipment position, plz.  Distance?

stlrman

« Reply #31 on: 10 Dec 2015, 04:29 pm »
Beam me up Scotty ! I have found...musical....nirvana ... :thumb:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 10 Dec 2015, 04:32 pm »
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

...ho hum...yawn.  And I was expecting something special...sigh  :scratch: :duh: :thumb:

violetmachan

« Reply #33 on: 10 Dec 2015, 04:36 pm »
congrats jack :thumb:

the eagle has finally landed :green:

do you find the difference between the half size and now the full size very significant in you customised room

must say .....looks stunning mate!!

I am sure ....sounding fabulous tooo

will need an extensive montage on the 11 and the 111!

some normal pics jack

enjoy

ps if jimmy is upgrading ....can buy your 11 :evil:

Dimfer

« Reply #34 on: 10 Dec 2015, 04:48 pm »
Besides, I need capital to import the now in planning VR..

is that the VR 222 or VR 1111 ?  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

congrats Jack!

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 10 Dec 2015, 04:53 pm »
..darn shame that the audio journalistic world will never know anything about Albert's behemoths.  Robert Harley should fly over to Jimmy's palace and do a multi-page spread on the building and it's contents.  The subscribers would eat that up...I know I sure would!  Looks like our good buddy Jack will need to sit in both sweet spots...his subterranean lair and Jimmy's audio palace, and share the experience replete with all the audiospeak....ah yeah man!

JackD201

« Reply #36 on: 10 Dec 2015, 05:15 pm »
Hi Jack Speakers tweet to tweet is ~11'. I measured distance to side walls and rear but not really in between. I just went for the best center lock. The distance from listening position is around the same given a half a foot. Sweet spot is huge so I can do things like slouch and move back and forth with no offensive change in tonality or imaging. Sorry for the pictures being so noisy. We were kinda lounging around and it is actually a lot dimmer than the photos suggest and I had no tripod. Here's a peak from the back of the room

Hi Sam, those were Jim's 11s they came to me via a series of trade ins including his swap from his theater SR Mk2/ViSIUN Mk2s in Ebony and Matte to SR Mk3s and V Mk3 also in black. This is a sentimental pair since this is the pair that Albert is pictured in, in the adds. Jim also got the proceeds from my Bronze 9 Mk2s. Still a great, great deal. Hey, what are big bros for right? The dude takes care of his sibs!  :thumb:

Hi Ding, something else. Something for a room YOUR size.  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

Gavin, yeah they suck.....NOT!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 10 Dec 2015, 05:18 pm »
.."yeah they suck.....NOT!"...there's that audiospeak I was after...heh heh...Jon Valin eat yer heart out!  :lol:

JackD201

« Reply #38 on: 10 Dec 2015, 05:27 pm »
I played a trick on Albert while he was doing a show in Singapore with Bobby and they had 11s playing. Keith and I told him we couldn't make it but planned on surprising him. Anyway, we got to the show and snuck behind him in the jam packed room. I then said close to his ear. Who designed these things? They suck! The expression on Albert's face was priceless!  :lol: :lol: :lol:  Well of course they didn't and Bobby sold quite a few of them that year. Boy do I wish our market was Bobby's size. Extremely happy for him though. Great, great guy!

Jack, old pic from before the flood related remodel to give you an idea of how the rest of the room is laid out . At this points the treatments were still not covered with the guilford fabric and the carpet had yet to be delivered. The speakers now are a foot or so more forward in position. I'll try to take new pictures soon.

JackD201

« Reply #39 on: 10 Dec 2015, 05:42 pm »
Oh Sam I missed some details. My room is pretty large at over 80sqm and fully treated. My RT-60 is ~.35. Boundary reinforcement is a lot less than a normal domestic environment. In the past I got away with using twice the amplification. Ratio wise in dB that would be about the same as having twice the speaker except of course that the drivers are working twice as hard so we get twice the distortion. As you notice I am currently just running the 11s with a pair of M2.2s. Alternate amps for these are CH Precision M1s that have more than 3x the power in bridged mono. Haven't tried these yet as Lamm auditions are scheduled.

The 11s pressurize the room fully now without to, borrow from auto speak, any turbocharging or supercharging. The gentleman I sold the 9s to is getting better sound than I did here in his also fully treated 50sq/m room. Physics is physics. In a nutshell, I gained a much better sense of ease and more usable dynamic range. As for the 111s, I've had the opportunity to be a few feet from a full philharmonic. Dynamics wise, damn it's close when it's called upon to do so. More importantly it achieves this with no pain, at least until the wives asked to play an 80's Swing Out Sister CD and well, that pretty much shredded our ears and had me reaching for the bottle of Royal Salute.

Stlrman, thank you so much for the kind words this is a quest that's been going on for half my life. I'm at a point where I can now honestly say, I'm satisfied.