NuFORCE DDA-100 and Definitive Technology Speakers

John Casler

NuFORCE DDA-100 and Definitive Technology Speakers
« on: 25 Nov 2013, 08:02 pm »
I have recently been working with a representative of Def Tech who ordered the DDA-100 amp to demo the new Def Tech MYTHOS ST-L Super Tower.

Apparently the SYNERGY for the DDA-100 and their speakers is quite good.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: NuFORCE DDA-100 and Definitive Technology Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2013, 10:54 am »
Thanks for the heads-up.  Def Tech and the DDA-100 should match up well in terms of value, smart (svelte appearance, digital amp) design, and wattage requirements (good efficiency with built-in powered subwoofer). 

I looked into the smaller and less expensive Def Tech bi-pole floor standers awhile back but I just didn't want to dedicate the space needed to let them really sing.

seikosha

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2013, 04:01 pm »
I run my DDA-100 in a 2nd system with both the Harbeth P3's and Kef LS50's.  I'm particularly fond of the synergy with the Harbeths.

viggen

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2013, 12:03 am »
I run my DDA-100 in a 2nd system with both the Harbeth P3's and Kef LS50's.  I'm particularly fond of the synergy with the Harbeths.

I use the DDA100 to power a pair of Linn Kan MK1 which I suspect is one of the first batch made based on the LS35A.  Great synergy here as well.

bh46118

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2013, 05:25 am »
How would an OPPO BDP-103 work to feed my DDA-100 hi rez files. Seems like with a tablet for the remote it would be convenient to use. I'm not sure if I could load an external HD hooked to the back of the 103 with files from a thumb drive plugged into the front . Is there a better affordable solution ?

Thanks Bruce

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2013, 05:58 pm »
How would an OPPO BDP-103 work to feed my DDA-100 hi rez files. Seems like with a tablet for the remote it would be convenient to use. I'm not sure if I could load an external HD hooked to the back of the 103 with files from a thumb drive plugged into the front . Is there a better affordable solution ?

Thanks Bruce

Hi Bruce,

You are correct, you would feed the DDA-100 via a coax or optical digital cable from the OPPO.

While still a bit clunky, the BDP-103 will serve quite well as a Music Server using a USB Hard Drive, or Thumb Drive.

There may be better solutions if you are looking for a more sophisticated GUI, but sonically it will be very high quality.

bh46118

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2013, 06:28 pm »
Thanks John

That sounds very promising.

groovybassist

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2013, 07:36 pm »
Bruce:

When I first got my DDA-100, it was in my main system and I ran it exactly as you described - Oppo BDP-103 to DDA-100 via coax, using USB drives and occasionally the Oppo's disc transport.  Worked great and sounded very good.  It's now in my office system, running USB from my computer.

I frequently go through stages in my audio gear thoughts, vacillating between more expensive/complex changes to my system vs. less expensive/simpler.  I'm going through one of these periods right now and am seriously thinking that having a DDA-100 in my main system, with the right set of speakers, is the way to go.  Really simplifies things and can be VERY satisfying with the right speaker match.  Something very gratifying about a simple, effective, enjoyable solution - who needs 20 boxes, 10 sets of interconnects and all that $$$ spent.  Who knows where I'll land.

-Mike

bh46118

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2014, 01:49 am »
Hi Mike

What will the DDA-100 do with a DSD file fed to it by the Oppo ?

Thanks Bruce

groovybassist

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2014, 02:07 am »
Bruce:

I haven't tried it - as far as I know, the Oppo will only output a DSD stream on the HDMI2 port.  Since the Nuforce has no HDMI in, there's no way to get DSD output from the Oppo to the DDA-100.  Via the DDA-100s coax input, you're limited to 24/192, which is what the Oppo can output via coax when set to PCM.

I'd welcome others to chime in, as I haven't done anything with DSD yet and others may have additional info.  Hope this helps.

-Mike

bh46118

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jan 2014, 03:17 am »
Thanks Mike

I found this info about DSD and PCM on the NuFORCE website.  https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40&Itemid=2674
« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2014, 06:39 am by bh46118 »

bh46118

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jan 2014, 03:29 am »
I bought a new pair of teak finished Kans in 1986 that I sold a friend a few years ago for $150 . He took them from 100% pristine to junk in short order. Talk about casting your pearls before swine. When I sold them you couldn't hardly give them away, at the present time I believe they are worth a bit of money. I can't tell you how many times I've regretted that move. I would love to hear them again with my DDA-100. I believe the DDA-100 would handily out resolve the LP12 - Naim 42-150 rig I ran them with before.

Bruce

I use the DDA100 to power a pair of Linn Kan MK1 which I suspect is one of the first batch made based on the LS35A.  Great synergy here as well.