Getting rid of ground loop

bluesky

Getting rid of ground loop
« on: 26 Jul 2004, 04:00 am »
This is further to my post about using a step down transformer.  There is a HUGE amount of hum when the trafo and CD player is connected to the preamp.

I disconnected it and then went to another room (my bedroom) and connected it up and listened via the headphones, sounds great and no hum at all.  The dealer stated that I had the dreaded ground loop and the only way to get rid of it is to disconnect the earth.

I am somewhat reluctant to do this for safety reasons.  Am I being over cautious?  Is there another way around this problem?  I am wondering if installing a dedicated power point and line from the fuse box would isolate the ground loop from the rest of the audio system.  I tutor some kids whose Dad is an electrician and he could easily install a new power line for me if asked.

One other option would be to install a suitable trafo in the CD player but I don't know what specs this would require.  The trafo is buried beneath the main circuit boards inside the player so I didn't disassemble it just to have a look but would do so if this was a viable option.

Any advice on solving this problem would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Ian