MAAC Meet September

Phil A

Re: MAAC Meet September
« Reply #20 on: 2 Aug 2013, 05:36 pm »
I'm also happy to do both days (Sept 21 and 28) as being busy doing stuff now for the impending move, I don't have tons of time listening now and probably in early or mid November things will be boxed up to get ready for the move and I'm not sure how much stuff I'll be taking each trip but I probably won't have things totally together in the new place until probably sometime in February.  So a few more hours of listening is fine.

pansixt

« Reply #21 on: 5 Aug 2013, 09:07 pm »
28th, and I will just TELL them at work that I will be off that day.

See how I did that mix4? Affirmative Action!!!!

Phil A

« Reply #22 on: 5 Aug 2013, 10:36 pm »
James thanks, I know people need the advance time for work or other things and that's why I wanted to firm it up vs. leaving everyone hanging.  I've been breaking in the Odyssey Candela preamp in the basement system with the Synergy HiFi tubes I just got and hopefully before mid August will have the Teac DAC.  I stuck the Squeezebox Touch with the Channel Islands power supply there already (and had to make another power cord before I pack all that stuff away) and to remove Squeezebox Server with the old Dell Windows XP machine as I could not get it working but I installed Squeezebox Server on the newer PC upstairs (and threw some more non-DSD hi-rez in the music library).  I did not listen to anything but the Squeezebox Touch appeared to recognize the library and I will wait until I have the DAC to hook it up.  I don't believe I ever tried the Squeezebox Touch anywhere except the main system (I'll probably have it the bedroom system after the move and use it as an alarm clock - not that I hope to use it often after retirement) and have not used it since I have the HAL MS-2.  I am anxious to hear the Touch now that I have everything in the collection ripped to FLAC and more hi-rez.  Of course, I'll have to try the DSD in the Teac at some point (have not thought about it yet as it is not in my hands and I also have an HDMI audio de-embedder down there along with an Oppo BDP-93 so I can hear how it sounds with 24/88.2 from SACDs).

timosmith

« Reply #23 on: 25 Aug 2013, 10:15 am »
I think either date works for me.

rhmmmm

« Reply #24 on: 27 Aug 2013, 01:42 pm »
I'd be interested in either date. Long time lurker here and other sites like ComputerAudiophile, Audio Asylum, AudioKarma, Aficionado and others, but ready to make some friends.  I am in Falls Church.  I was going to say I could bring my MA-1, but you already have one!  I can bring some DSD and Hi-rez PCM material though. Or my Octave tube amp.  Or some beer.

Phil A

« Reply #25 on: 27 Aug 2013, 03:23 pm »
I'd be interested in either date. Long time lurker here and other sites like ComputerAudiophile, Audio Asylum, AudioKarma, Aficionado and others, but ready to make some friends.  I am in Falls Church.  I was going to say I could bring my MA-1, but you already have one!  I can bring some DSD and Hi-rez PCM material though. Or my Octave tube amp.  Or some beer.

I have about a 4.5TB of hi-rez material, DSD and non-DSD.  I have two Oyen Digital 3TB hard drives attached to my HAL MS-2 Music Server.  Music is of all genres.  If there is something you were thinking of bringing, PM or e-mail me as I may have it.  If for some reason I don't have it the front of the MS-2 has a USB port for a thumb drive.

I'm hoping to have my Teac DSD DAC in the secondary system before Sept. 28 (on back order at J&R).  I've been breaking in the (Syngergy HiFi) tubes on the Odyssey Candela preamp.  I'm also hoping to get a DSD plug-in working on Foobar so I can pass DSD files to the Squeezebox Touch in the basement (if not I still have a bunch of hi-rez files it can do) to the DAC.  Probably easier to swap amps in the basement.  I have a 20 ft. long interconnect going to a Bryston 3BST which is in an accessible area to easily swap in another amp.  I'm sure between what everyone wants to hear and if some want to stay late and I can swap cables and do a movie in the basement in 8.1 we can do that as well.

Phil A

« Reply #26 on: 9 Sep 2013, 03:55 pm »
I received a couple of message from people indicating they can only do the 28th.  This is a roll call.  So far, the following have indicated they can attend the 28th (please let me know if I left off any one).

woodsyi
r.wasserstrom
Scottdazzle
HAL
DTB300
pansixt
rhmmmm
timosmith

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #27 on: 9 Sep 2013, 04:55 pm »
I should be there...

Phil A

« Reply #28 on: 9 Sep 2013, 05:47 pm »
OK - now we have:

woodsyi
r.wasserstrom
Scottdazzle
HAL
DTB300
pansixt
rhmmmm
timosmith
mix4fix

Phil A

« Reply #29 on: 9 Sep 2013, 09:34 pm »
Updated list:

woodsyi
r.wasserstrom
Scottdazzle
HAL
DTB300
pansixt
rhmmmm
timosmith
mix4fix
Robin Hood

Robin Hood

« Reply #30 on: 9 Sep 2013, 11:00 pm »
A Teac/Meitner DSD shoot-out would be interesting but if you don't get your Teac Dac by Sep 28 I can bring my Korg MR2000S for comparison.

Is there any particular album or track that you want to listen to multiple times? Most of what I listen to on the Korg are digitized LPs to DSD128 but I do have several DSD64/128 files that have been downloaded. I haven't ripped any SACDs but I would like to see how it's done.

Phil A

« Reply #31 on: 10 Sep 2013, 12:31 am »
A Teac/Meitner DSD shoot-out would be interesting but if you don't get your Teac Dac by Sep 28 I can bring my Korg MR2000S for comparison.

Is there any particular album or track that you want to listen to multiple times? Most of what I listen to on the Korg are digitized LPs to DSD128 but I do have several DSD64/128 files that have been downloaded. I haven't ripped any SACDs but I would like to see how it's done.

For ripping SACDs, I use Ted b's guide (there's a thread in the hi-rez music circle) and the PS3.  I have lots of regular rez and hi-rez, including ripped albums.  I have about 4.5TB of hi-rez.  Don't have the Teac yet.  It was ordered almost a month ago but J&R still shows it on back order.  Was hoping to get if for the secondary basement system and use the hack on the Squeezebox Touch to get DSD to it.  Still over two week to go before the get together.  Phil

Phil A

« Reply #32 on: 10 Sep 2013, 12:35 am »
Here's the thread on SACD ripping - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95396.0

Roscoe Primrose

• DC Audio DIY
« Reply #33 on: 12 Sep 2013, 04:04 pm »
Count me in...

Roscoe

Updated list:

woodsyi
r.wasserstrom
Scottdazzle
HAL
DTB300
pansixt
rhmmmm
timosmith
mix4fix
Robin Hood

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #34 on: 12 Sep 2013, 04:14 pm »
Folks - I'm going out of town, so I'll have to bow out.  Phil : my "proxy" is also leaving 23 Sept for several weeks so also won't be able to make it.

Have fun guys - interested in hearing about the TEAC DSD dac if it arrives in time!

Phil A

« Reply #35 on: 12 Sep 2013, 04:56 pm »
Phil : my "proxy" is also leaving 23 Sept for several weeks so also won't be able to make it.

Have fun guys - interested in hearing about the TEAC DSD dac if it arrives in time!

Sorry to hear Mimi-Me can't make it either 8)  Jon, enjoy the trip.

Phil A

« Reply #36 on: 19 Sep 2013, 04:35 pm »
I figured we could start about 2:30PM on September 28.  We can eat and listen and stay as late as people wish.  Anyone who needs the address/directions just PM me.

Updated attendee list:

woodsyi
r.wasserstrom
Scottdazzle
HAL
DTB300
pansixt
rhmmmm
timosmith
mix4fix
Robin Hood
Roscoe Primrose
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2013, 12:11 am by Phil A »

Phil A

« Reply #37 on: 28 Sep 2013, 10:16 pm »
Thanks to all who came.  We celebrated an 80th birthday as well.  It seems like months since it was the 70th birthday celebration.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #38 on: 28 Sep 2013, 10:21 pm »
28th, and I will just TELL them at work that I will be off that day.

See how I did that mix4? Affirmative Action!!!!

I'm here. Where are you?

r.wasserstrom

« Reply #39 on: 29 Sep 2013, 01:22 am »
Phil,
Thanks for hosting today's get-together and for the festive birthday napkins. I missed the lawyer jokes, though. Maybe next time.
Rich