Kraemer Designs D~400 Hypex NC400 Mono Amp Build

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
  • Machining and Audio What A Great Match!
Re: Kraemer Designs D~400 Hypex NC400 Mono Amp Build
« Reply #120 on: 1 May 2013, 01:18 am »
Today i started the bottom. There was a lot to program and while machining i made a few changes because of clearance issues. Got one done and will finish the rest tomorrow.

Must have typed in the wrong number for the XLR connector because it doesn't go in that smooth but this is an easy fix. The model and program will be updated to allow a bigger hole for future batches. These 7 will just be ran again, it will only take seconds to cut a bigger hole for the XLR.

These cases weighed 29 1/2 pounds as raw stock, they ended up at 11 1/2 pounds after everything. A loss of 18 pounds from machining.

I took some pictures will some of the goodies inside, they are not really installed just a basic mock up.

Other then re machining the XLR connector hole, everything will work great!!

Here is the endmill that did 90% of the machining. A 3/4" 3 flute.

A picture i snapped while machining (note changes were made after this picture was shot).

Clean and out of the machine.

Goodies inside :)

Matt

TrungT

« Reply #121 on: 1 May 2013, 02:05 am »
WOW  :drool: :drool: :drool:
Awesome.

medium jim

« Reply #122 on: 1 May 2013, 02:23 am »
All that aluminum will surely keep things cool as they will act as a huge heat sink, not to mention, they look cool! 

Jim

neekomax

« Reply #123 on: 1 May 2013, 03:16 am »
Man, I really like the way you've done the interior, how the modules fit so nicely. Good stuff.

ufokillerz

« Reply #124 on: 1 May 2013, 03:53 am »
definitely starting to look good! cant wait for the anodizing!

Rclark

« Reply #125 on: 1 May 2013, 04:13 am »
I don't know what I like more, the inside or the outside  :thumb:

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #126 on: 1 May 2013, 12:20 pm »
All that aluminum will surely keep things cool as they will act as a huge heat sink, not to mention, they look cool!

They definitely look cool, but cooling capacity (or, more precisely, heat dispersion capability) depends primarily on surface area and not mass.

All that aluminium will cause it to take much longer for the enclosure to get warm (and will provide better cooling as long as it is heating up), but once it reaches thermal equilibrium, it won't be any more effective at dissipating heat than a similarly sized tin can.

jackman

« Reply #127 on: 1 May 2013, 01:21 pm »
Beautiful work.  These amps run cool and I don't think heat will be an issue.  The cases are well ventilated and you can always add a couple heat sinks to the modules.  Mine have heat sinks but I'm not really sure they are necessary.  I've seen these amps with no vents and they work fine. 

Excellent job.  I like the interiors a lot!  I'd like to see a dual mono stereo version. 

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #128 on: 1 May 2013, 01:35 pm »
This is obviously not a case for a piece of audio gear.

It is a work of art!  :thumb: :thumb:

Gene

Rclark

« Reply #129 on: 1 May 2013, 06:48 pm »
Beautiful work.  These amps run cool and I don't think heat will be an issue.  The cases are well ventilated and you can always add a couple heat sinks to the modules.  Mine have heat sinks but I'm not really sure they are necessary.  I've seen these amps with no vents and they work fine. 

Excellent job.  I like the interiors a lot!  I'd like to see a dual mono stereo version.

It's an understandable perception to have, that it's an amp with a lot of power so it must get really hot, right? He's going to find that all the cooling fins, etc are really more for show than they are necessary with these new class d designs. Mine are completely sealed, no vents, and I just spent half an hour pushing the spl's a bit. They are barely warm to the touch. Just a mild warmth to my cases, and not even uniform, just near the module. Think the efficiency is going to surprise him.

But again, it all looks cool!

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #130 on: 1 May 2013, 07:02 pm »
It's an understandable perception to have, that it's an amp with a lot of power so it must get really hot, right? He's going to find that all the cooling fins, etc are really more for show than they are necessary with these new class d designs. Mine are completely sealed, no vents, and I just spent half an hour pushing the spl's a bit. They are barely warm to the touch. Just a mild warmth to my cases, and not even uniform, just near the module. Think the efficiency is going to surprise him.

The look and design of the amp case was never meant to improve cooling but it does help, great :)

Matt

ufokillerz

« Reply #131 on: 1 May 2013, 07:04 pm »
The look and design of the amp case was never meant to improve cooling but it does help, great :)

Matt
you do have 11.5 lbs of aluminum, i would imagine that it would take some long time for it to even get warm, most cases out there probably get warm really fast!

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #132 on: 1 May 2013, 07:18 pm »
It's an understandable perception to have, that it's an amp with a lot of power so it must get really hot, right?

Well, with the ncores it is the opposite. They don't dissipate much heat at full power, but they do dissipate a fair bit (in proportion) when idling, so long-term thermal balance is more important than short-term heat absorption  capability. In any case, it shouldn't be an issue unless you put several of them in a tight box.

Berndt

« Reply #133 on: 1 May 2013, 07:22 pm »
I heart dataflute.

jackman

« Reply #134 on: 1 May 2013, 07:28 pm »

I'm not sure you read my post. I said these amps do not run hot and that the case had sufficient ventilation.  Unvented cases can dissipate heat but these thick aluminum cases would not do that well enough for an amp that runs hot, say Class A.  They would probably work fine fir these amps but the vents look pretty cool.  I like them. 

The guy who assembled my amp attached little adhesive heat sinks directly on the modules, the kind they use on computers.  I'm not sure they are necessary but they can't hurt. 

The cases in this thread should work great and they look pretty cool.  Nice work.

Rclark

« Reply #135 on: 1 May 2013, 07:31 pm »
Well, with the ncores it is the opposite. They don't dissipate much heat at full power, but they do dissipate a fair bit (in proportion) when idling, so long-term thermal balance is more important than short-term heat absorption  capability. In any case, it shouldn't be an issue unless you put several of them in a tight box.

Yeah. And even idling is jus really mild. Was expecting the opposite! I was ready to cut holes and fins too, till I ran them a while.

medium jim

« Reply #136 on: 1 May 2013, 07:48 pm »

Jim

AluminatiSound

• Industry Participant
« Reply #137 on: 2 May 2013, 02:05 am »
I finished the other 6 cases today and bolted the PSU and AMP board into the case to make sure it worked, it did!!! It worked just as i planned it.

Anyone like chips lol

I installed the boards.

I bolt thru the AMP board to secure it to the case, thermal paste will go between the AMP board heatsink and the case.

I machined in one standoff for the PSU board, this is a conductive standoff to provide a ground link to the chassis. Three white delrin standoffs are bolted into the case to provide a non conductive surface.

All done with this operation. I just have to cut a little more out from the XLR hole, then i'll assemble a pair :)

Matt

medium jim

« Reply #138 on: 2 May 2013, 02:30 am »
Matt, clearly you jest about the chips!  When I was 17 I worked in a sheet metal shop as the gopher/janitor.  It was before CNC and I used to help the Class A Machinist by feeding water on the cutting bits to cool them off.  I also swept the floors and saved all of the shavings and chips. Had to separate them between metallic and non in big industrial barrels.

I eventually operated a power brake and a couple of presses, one day I looked around and saw how many operators had missing fingers and moved on!  Nevertheless, I did learn a lot and had great respect for the Class A Mechanics!

Jim

HighRez

« Reply #139 on: 2 May 2013, 03:04 am »
Congrats on the very nice cases, they look delicious  :P

One question though. Do you have any plans to shield the umbilical cable that feeds the NC400 from the SMPS power Inlet cable? It appears to be coming in contact with the umbilical cable. It may not matter, but maybe on the next run you may consider hogging out a hole below the channel that the umbilical runs thru for the SMPS power cable and have it pop out somewhere away from it on the other end. Just a thought.

Nice job!