I think my water is unhealthy, what do I do?

Folsom

I think my water is unhealthy, what do I do?
« on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:22 am »
I've been talking with a few people in my building. My health is always worse while I am living in my current place. It is hard to figure out but I've been narrowing it down. My neighbor below me never had any problems until moving in here. I'm asking more people that live here too.

But what do I do if I think it is unsafe? Is there any sort of consumer/renter water protection type of thing? I don't know if I trust the owner of the building to check.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: I think my water is unhealthy, what do I do?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:24 am »
Don't leave it to trust - be certain.  Drinking water should always be filtered.  The best filter I've found is Berkey - http://www.newmillconcepts.com/start.main.html

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:36 am »
I tried a pitcher but don't it was enough.

I think the problem might be bigger than filtration can address... but that certainly looks like a great filter.

soundbitten1

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:38 am »
Get your water tested.

kc8apf

• Are you sure what side of the glass you're on?
« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:39 am »
Call the water company.  Often they will come out and test it for free.

medium jim

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:40 am »
Call the water company.  Often they will come out and test it for free.

Drink beer :beer:

Jim

Berndt

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:45 am »
I've worked for Sf water dept for the last ten years. I have also done a few years at a water treatment facility.
The engineers I worked with would recommend only reverse osmosis filtration units, they said everything else was a placebo.
You can ask your local water department to test your water, they should have a customer service hotline.

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2013, 03:52 am »
Drink beer :beer:

Jim

I can't...

But I will call my water supplier. I don't pay them directly, but I know the property management company does.

jriggy

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2013, 04:09 am »
More likely than the water would be atmospheric. Something else IN in the building.... Mold?

medium jim

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2013, 04:13 am »
Reverse osmosis takes all of the good minerals out of the water and gives you water that doesn't replace electrolyte's and will cause dehydration.  Now if they did do reverse osmosis and then infuse back into the water said essential minerals we are good to go.

Jim

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2013, 04:14 am »
More likely than the water would be atmospheric. Something else IN in the building.... Mold?

Causing digestive disturbance? I don't know about that.

Mold has never been an allergy of mine. It is an old building. The shower room (shared) maybe, but no one lives in it.

medium jim

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2013, 04:22 am »
I would have the water from the tap tested for high bacteria levels or micro-organisms. If then there is a problem you check the main line water pipes coming into the building to see if they are corrupted as this would be the obvious place to start.

In the meantime, boil your potable water to be safe.

Jim

jriggy

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2013, 04:26 am »
Causing digestive disturbance? I don't know about that.

Mold has never been an allergy of mine. It is an old building. The shower room (shared) maybe, but no one lives in it.

Well you were not specific about what it was doing to you.

Folsom

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2013, 04:37 am »
I would have the water from the tap tested for high bacteria levels or micro-organisms. If then there is a problem you check the main line water pipes coming into the building to see if they are corrupted as this would be the obvious place to start.

In the meantime, boil your potable water to be safe.

Jim

That is actually what I am wondering. The only things that make me feel normal are anti-bacterial. Antibiotics make me feel amazing. As is I have to supplement a lot.

I've seen doctors. I know more about my own health, and how to approach health, than I could possibly type out on this forum. By that I mean I can console other people. Like the mechanic with a broken car... Hence why I'm so confused, trying to piece the puzzle together. I've seen the best naturopath in the world, too. He doesn't particularly think my problems would be centered around bacterial issues as his recommendations where not along the lines of dealing with them at all (based on what he knows about my epigentics, blood information, and health history). Hence his information can't help, if the water is poisoning me.

The bio films that form around my sink are quick, and thicker than in the last few places I've lived. That makes me think a lot about microbial issues (yeast, fungi, bacteria, whatever).

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2013, 04:43 am »
I have been drinking Aquafina for years now.I love it. It is very pure water, filtered from local sources.
True it removes minerals. so what. It certainly removes all the bad stuff.
Want minerals eat some dirt.
My pet African Grey loves Aquafina, though I only give him a bottlecapfull. His water dishs are way to big, and wasted way too much to use Aquafina in them. (pint sized, he washes food in them, and they have to be changed every day.

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jan 2013, 04:44 am »
I eat vegetables etc for minerals and vitamins...

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #16 on: 31 Jan 2013, 05:06 am »
I've been talking with a few people in my building. My health is always worse while I am living in my current place. It is hard to figure out but I've been narrowing it down. My neighbor below me never had any problems until moving in here. I'm asking more people that live here too.

But what do I do if I think it is unsafe? Is there any sort of consumer/renter water protection type of thing? I don't know if I trust the owner of the building to check.

What makes you think it is the water?  What are your symptoms?  Is the problem in your building or neighborhood?  Could be mold, dirty ductwork, bird droppings in the attic, any number of things.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2013, 05:09 am »

I've seen doctors. I know more about my own health, and how to approach health, than I could possibly type out on this forum.

Then why are you asking us?

morganc

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2013, 05:10 am »

Google "Sick Building Syndrome" and "water damaged building". Your illness could be many things and the water might not be great, but it's much more likely to be something in the air. This is especially true if you leave home for a few days and feel better.  If the water was poisoned somehow you would not get better in just a few days away.  However, if it is in the air, then leaving will make you feel better within a few days. 

If it is an airborne problem, It could be Mold Toxins and it could be many things in the air such as Radon, or other chemicals,gases,etc.    You can do a DNA test called an ERMI test to determine if it's mold or not.   And just because nothing is visible doesn't eliminate the possibility of mold as it could be from an HVAC Unit.  As a doctor and a mold sufferer myself (I was nearly killed recently by mold in my office coming in from the neighbors flooded bathroom) I would encourage you to read more about this.  A good resource is
Www.survivingmold.com. 

A quick screening test is the VCS test at the above website.   If you fail the test, then you have some toxin negatively affecting your brain.   

You can also read on the above site about the gene tests that you can have done to see if you are one of the 25% of people who are sensitive to mold toxins.  Btw mold can be an allergy, a toxin, or an infection.

As for the water, you can easily have it tested for metals at Doctors Data Lab.   That would be the most common contaminant in the water.  If its an organism in the water, then your best bet is to buy the best water filtration unit that you can afford and certainly that would remove all organisms.  Boiling water doesn't kill all organisms (especially eggs or larvae).

Feel free to PM if you have questions.  And please consider the VCS test as it is an invaluable resource.   
Best,
Morgan

medium jim