Non-engaging sound from new Simplex... What could be causing this?

deniall

I recently got a Well Tempered Simplex and Dynavector DV-10X5 cartridge and finally got around to setting it all up tonight. After going through a few of my favourite records, I have noticed that the music doesn't hit me as much as it did on my previous setup. It sounds a little reserved and laid back. Drum and cymbal impact is not what it was before and i'm trying to figure out if this is a setup issue or if the new table/cartridge combo just sounds "different" than my old setup. Records that used to make me go "wow" are a little boring and I can't get my head around it. At first I thought it might be a speed issue as it was sounding a little slow but the speed was fully calibrated before it left the supplier and a double check with the included strobe shows that it's ok. The setup is as follows:

Well Tempered Simplex
Dynavector DV-10X5 cartridge
Musical Fidelity M1 ViNL phono stage running in MC mode at 47k.

Old setup:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon
Ortofon OM20 cartridge
Musical Fidelity M1 ViNL phono stage running in MM mode at 47k.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing before?

I have read that too much damping (using the supplied silicone fluid) can cause the music to be a bit muffled and boring but i'm definitely on the lower end of damping so I don't think this is the issue.

I have set my cart to the suggested tracking force of 2g using a mechanical Shure gauge.

The arm is as parallel to the record surface as I can get it using a ruler.

Any ideas what this could be?

roscoeiii

Damping was my first guess. How far into the goop is the golf ball? Tried lowering the silicon cup?

And I don't have any experience with HOMC carts, but you might also want to look into the loading for the 10x5.

None of the characteristics you describe are attributes I associate with the WT tables. I had a WTA and a Dyna XX-2MkII that had excellent cymbals and top end. Good drive to the music. If you don't get helpful suggestions here, call your dealer or Mike Pranka for suggestions.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Brand new cartridge?

bernie_f

• Laissez les bons temps rouler
Too much damping for shure...

coverto

I'm not familiar with the Ortofon OM20, but what you're describing does sound typical of the Dyna 10x5, which is a pretty laid back cartridge that's not big on dynamics IME, probably still more so if not broken in.

vortrex

post a picture showing the ball in the cup.

SteevA

Bobbywheat

The biggest difference that I've noted is you went from a MM to MC cartrifdge. If you still have acces to your old cartridge, give it a try. Personally if I had a lower priced Phono stage and cartridge I would go with a MM or MI cartridge. You loose less dynamics this way.

threadkiller

Hardly, Bobbywheat, you'd get more. Dynamics and gain are not the same thing.

OP, it has to be setup related.
The table will smoke the Project, the 10x5 will clobber that O.
You've bought wisely. 
Just communicate and get it sorted.
Best of luck, and don't give up
Chas

MRC

Hi Deniall,

I would definitely consider changing the 47K setting. It makes sense for a MM of course, but you've now using an  MC. Check the cartridge's specs.

Good luck,

PS: What are you using for mains?

threadkiller

No, the 10x5 is a high output cartridge.  He should have his setting at 47k for moving magnet. MM
That's why it sounds bad.  Change your setting, OP!