Buying a new bicycle...what should I know?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Buying a new bicycle...what should I know?
« Reply #40 on: 2 Jul 2012, 05:44 pm »
Not to sidetrack my thread, but I thought heat was the way to go, not ice?  :scratch:

George

If it's muscular, then heat (to soothe the pain) but I assumed it was disc related, which is a major inflamation...so ICE.  Heat later, but ice therapy to reduce inflamation (and numbs too, which is a nice byproduct).

Net/net, go with doctors orders.  My back pain may be very different from yours. 

tvad4

« Reply #41 on: 2 Jul 2012, 06:37 pm »
My flexibility also sucks.  I know that certainly doesn't help.  I probably need to at least get better in that area.

Based on your flexibility issue, I would recommend a Lynskey or Parlee with a tall head tube option. I know Parlee has a stock build with this option, and I'm fairly sure Lynskey does as well (rather than going custom). You'll be in a more upright position, which will be more comfortable on your back.

I would resist the temptation to buy a used racing bike based on a perceived good deal.

A proper fit, and a properly fitting frame is well worth the extra cost.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #42 on: 2 Jul 2012, 07:54 pm »
George,
I was just in the same boat, but a much smaller boat (less $$$  ;)  ).  I ended up today buying a 2011 GT Tachyon 3.0.  It is being shipped to my local Performance Bike shop (one of my sons works at one in Chicago) in the next 7 days.  It has what I need: 700/32 tires, a carbon fork to take the buzz off the road, and decent 3.0 level components.  Nothing serious, but a decent flat bar road hybrid.

I bought the same bike last year from them. Levi recommended it.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #43 on: 2 Jul 2012, 08:06 pm »
Based on your flexibility issue, I would recommend a Lynskey or Parlee with a tall head tube option. I know Parlee has a stock build with this option, and I'm fairly sure Lynskey does as well (rather than going custom). You'll be in a more upright position, which will be more comfortable on your back.

I would resist the temptation to buy a used racing bike based on a perceived good deal.

A proper fit, and a properly fitting frame is well worth the extra cost.

Based on my short ride on the Specialized Roubaix, I "think" that its geometry will work for me.  If I wanted to go this route, getting a basically new bike at 50% off would probably be worth the risk to me.  I would still pay to have a professional fitting on the bike.

I am still looking forward to trying the Parlee and having an extended ride on the Specialized.  It doesn't look like there is Lynskey dealer close by.

George 

jackman

« Reply #44 on: 2 Jul 2012, 08:37 pm »
I doubt you will find a lynskey locally. They make a relaxed geometry frame.  You might want to call them to discuss. Good guys.  Also, custom is a good option. 

Another suggestion is Serotta. They are in New York and they make my favorite bikes.  Ben Serotta is a master.   They even fabricate their carbon tubing. Not cheap but you won't find a better bike.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #45 on: 2 Jul 2012, 09:02 pm »
I doubt you will find a lynskey locally. They make a relaxed geometry frame.  You might want to call them to discuss. Good guys.  Also, custom is a good option. 

Another suggestion is Serotta. They are in New York and they make my favorite bikes.  Ben Serotta is a master.   They even fabricate their carbon tubing. Not cheap but you won't find a better bike.

Serotta I can find locally.  Although it will mean going to yet another shop.

Not sure I am comfortable paying full retail for a bike I can't ride first in regards to the Lynskey bikes.

George

tvad4

« Reply #46 on: 2 Jul 2012, 09:30 pm »
It doesn't look like there is Lynskey dealer close by.
You could mentioned to your local dealer your interest in test riding a Lynskey. The dealer might be able to obtain a bike, and it might provide him entry as a Lynskey dealer.

You'd be amazed at what can happen when a local dealer learns you would be willing to drive 90 miles to another shop to ride a bike that the local dealer doesn't carry. It's how my local dealer suddenly became a dealer for the brand I purchased.

jackman

« Reply #47 on: 2 Jul 2012, 09:31 pm »
Serotta I can find locally.  Although it will mean going to yet another shop.

Not sure I am comfortable paying full retail for a bike I can't ride first in regards to the Lynskey bikes.

George

Can't say that I blame you.  You may have a Lynskey dealer in the area, and the Lynskey guys are very cool.  I'd give them a call and ask how you can do a demo.  Also, a trip to a Serotta dealership would be highly recommended.  Out of all of the bikes in my group, the Serottas are my favorites.  I would take a Serotta over a comparably priced Specialized, Cervelo, Trek, Cannondale, etc.  Serotta makes their own CF tubing, their own forks, and they have one of the best bike fitting systems in the industry.  All bikes are made in NY state.  I look forward to owning one someday!

Ladydog can tell you about Serotta and several exotic brands (he has a Serotta Meivici I believe).  He's owned a lot of bikes over the years.  I just wish he was shorter so I could buy some of his cast-offs.

*Scotty*

« Reply #48 on: 2 Jul 2012, 11:22 pm »
Unless I am mistaken the TREK OCLV frame is made entirely in Waterloo,WI. USA from
all American defense grade carbon fiber.
 Okay I used to sell TREK as well as other brands of bicycles like Giant,Fisher and Felt.  I am biased in favor of the TREK OCLV framset. I would buy a high quality carbon framed bike, say BMC, over an inexpensive Chinese "carbon" frame-set. High quality carbon frames will last longer without life threatening premature failures and in many cases come with a lifetime warranty on the frame set.  They are also much more comfortable to ride when compared to any other frame material, period.
 I would also advocate purchasing your bicycle from a top quality local bike shop with a reputation for customer service and really good bicycle technicians. Sooner or later you will need these people and it is good to have them in your corner. An ebay bike does not come with a support network and someone to personally talk to if and when you have a problem.
Scotty
Scotty

jackman

« Reply #49 on: 2 Jul 2012, 11:56 pm »
Hi Scotty,
I'm a fan of Trek. The new Madone is really slick looking and I like the aero features and new shape they built into that frame.  Haven't seen it in person but there is a trek shop near my house and I hope to test it soon.  The series 7 is very impressive and the technology has trickled down to lower models.

Some Treks are still made in Wisconsin, but most are made in Asia these days, including all bikes below series 6's. Series 3, 4 and 5 carbon fiber bikes are all made in Asia.  They are solid bikes and have the same warrantee but they are no longer made in the USA, except for a very small % top of the line bikes.

I have an 2008 OCLV Series 5 Pilot (they now call this bike a Madone performance fit) and I like it a lot.  The new Trek bikes are lighter and have more technology than my bike but mine rides like a Bentley.  It's a true pleasure to ride; even over chip and seal. The long stays, slack angles and design suck up bumps like a charm.

Please note, carbon fiber isn't necessarily easy riding. Some modern cf bikes are designed for stiffness and they ride stiffer than any other material. The Scott Addict is such a bike.  This is good if you are a pro but not so good for the avg Joe. Or Jack!

Cheers

Jack

PS - 100% of Serotta and Lynskey bikes are made in the USA.

*Scotty*

« Reply #50 on: 3 Jul 2012, 12:32 am »
It figures, the OCLV bikes used to be made entirely in Waterloo 6 years ago, the OCLV carbon couldn't leave the country in raw form. I agree you can certainly layup a carbon frameset to be very unforgiving. Boron was added to the mix at one time for Lance's TDF bike and that frame option wasn't a big seller for Trek. Carbon is the most comfortable material to have if the bike isn't laid up for higher stiffness than is seen in frames made from alternative materials like Al,Ti or steel. Obviously if the bike you are test riding seems too harsh to you another model or brand should be tried out. I always liked the Pilot's geometry. It wasn't so quick to change direction that you could twitch and collide with the rider next to you and it felt more stable on descents.
Scotty

tvad4

« Reply #51 on: 3 Jul 2012, 12:46 am »
Wheels make a significant contribution to a bike's ride (as does the seatpost material). It's a mistake to focus entirely on the frame, in my opinion.

A 23mm - 25mm wide rim will allow tire pressure to be reduced, which will results in a more forgiving ride...and better handling.

Spoke material also makes a difference. I recall test riding a carbon bike with Mavic R SYS-SL wheels. Phenomenal ride quality. I bought the same frame and use different wheels than the R SYS-SL, and I can tell the difference. Still love my present wheels, though.

*Scotty*

« Reply #52 on: 3 Jul 2012, 12:58 am »
The emphasis is on the frame because you can fine tune your ride with your choice of wheel set but you can't fix the geometry with wheels.
A a rule the dealer won't swap you a different set of wheels for the ones that came with your bike. I am not saying you couldn't cut some kind of deal, but I wouldn't expect it going in.
Scotty

tvad4

« Reply #53 on: 3 Jul 2012, 01:05 am »
The emphasis is on the frame because you can fine tune your ride with your choice of wheel set but you can't fix the geometry with wheels.
I know why the emphasis is on the frame, and I don't dispute that.

A a rule the dealer won't swap you a different set of wheels for the ones that came with your bike.
The dealer didn't swap me a different set of wheels. I test rode a bike that had the Mavic wheels from the manufacturer. The bike used SRAM, and I use Campy. Therefore, I couldn't put my wheels on the test bike.

I purchased a frame. Not a complete bike. I knew going in I would be using my wheels.

My point is that wheels affect the ride, and can do so in a significant way. I ride HED Ardennes wheels (actually a custom build with HED C2 rims and Alchemy hubs). I would recommend the HED Ardennes (or C2 rims) without hesitation.

*Scotty*

« Reply #54 on: 3 Jul 2012, 01:13 am »
Don't forget that Trek dealers have annually scheduled a big sale to coincide with the Tour de France race. This would be the time to maybe save some on the purchase of a Trek bike.
If I am not mistaken bicycle shops in general use to the Tour de France as way to increase traffic and sales volume it this time. It sure wouldn't hurt to ask any bicycle dealer you might be considering purchasing from if they have any sale associated with TDF.
Scotty
By the way I like the fact that you can rebuild the Campy shifters when they wear as opposed to the Shimano gruppos which are a Timex type of deal.
Scotty

tvad4

« Reply #55 on: 3 Jul 2012, 01:21 am »
By the way I like the fact that you can rebuild the Campy shifters when they wear as opposed to the Shimano gruppos which are a Timex type of deal.
Absolutely. I had one c.2000 Campy shifter rebuilt for $50. If a Shimano or SRAM shifter had failed, I would have had to purchase a new shifter. Other than the 2000 model year Campy Record shifter breaking a spring after 10 years of use, I've never had another Campy part fail.

Also, I recently upgraded my Campy Record rear derailleur to Super Record specs simply by swapping the Record stock pulleys with ceramic bearing pulleys.

*Scotty*

« Reply #56 on: 3 Jul 2012, 01:26 am »
I think I know where your non-audio funds go,  :lol:
Scotty

LadyDog

« Reply #57 on: 3 Jul 2012, 01:42 am »
Sorry to hear George.  Get healed first, then start looking again.

Still think at your size a 56 is too small.  But again, that is my personal preference.

A lot of great stuff out there.  A few you have already sampled.  Interested to what you think on the Parlee Z5.

You have my #, so please feel free to use.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #58 on: 3 Jul 2012, 01:47 am »
Sorry to hear George.  Get healed first, then start looking again.

Still think at your size a 56 is too small.  But again, that is my personal preference.

A lot of great stuff out there.  A few you have already sampled.  Interested to what you think on the Parlee Z5.

You have my #, so please feel free to use.

Jeff,

When I get a pro fitting, it will be interesting to see if they suggest a bigger bike.  While I am 6' tall, my inseam is only about 32".

George

tvad4

« Reply #59 on: 3 Jul 2012, 01:49 am »
I ride a 56cm frame with a 11cm or 12cm stem. I'm 5'11" with an 86cm inseam.