BDP-93 NE Design or Manufacturing Error?

ecostin

BDP-93 NE Design or Manufacturing Error?
« on: 15 Dec 2011, 10:37 am »
Fitted this morning the NE upgrade in my BPD-93. The PDF with the instructions show the three capacitors which go under the disk drive soldered and bent to 90 degrees, to align horizontally on the NE upgrade board. This is convenient, as one can slide the board in without taking out the drive. Unfortunately, the upgrade board I got, as well as the ones pictured on the NuForce web sites, have the said capacitors soldered in a VERTICAL position on the NE board. The tiny legs do not permit bending them. This brings a lot of trouble.
- Sliding to upgrade board in is difficult, one must lift the disk drive
- The capacitors do not fit under the disk drive, the drive actually touches the tops of the capacitors in the default mounting position
- The result was that I had to lift the entire drive a few mms, in order not ro rest on the three capacitors tops and now the face plate of the BDP-93 looks pretty cheap - the tray is no longer centered, as it almost touches the top part of the opening, while leaving more space beneath.

Why is the delivered board not identical with the one in the instructions? Design? Did I do anything wrong? Should the Chinese manufacturer do a better job? Any advice on what I should do?

Greetings,
Costin

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Re: BDP-93 NE Design or Manufacturing Error?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2011, 11:18 pm »
You should contact our tech support if you have purchased the upgrade board from us.
According to our support, there is a way to slide the board into the chassis.
The photo was taken very early with a prototype board that has a bent capacitors on the bottom of the board. All the production board has the cap upright.
Did you loosen the AC socket? That will give you the space to put the board in.

ecostin

Re: BDP-93 NE Design or Manufacturing Error?
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2011, 10:42 am »
Yes, I followed the instructions by the book, including to losen the AC socket. The board is fitted and works perfectly, but if I leave the drive in the default position, it actually touches the capacitors tops / rests on them. I've got the board second-hand, initially was bought from a French distributor.