Hypex nc400 Ncore vs mccormack dna 1 deluxe monoblocks?

jackman

Re: Hypex nc400 Ncore vs mccormack dna 1 deluxe monoblocks?
« Reply #20 on: 11 Dec 2014, 12:41 am »
Roscoe is correct.

Amazon still has 16 15 2000's left at 15% off. You can get one for $373, another one only if a friend or relative buys one for you. That is about $750 for 2100 watts into 4 ohm load. Not too shabby.

http://www.amazon.com/Crown-NXLS2000-0-US-Power-Amplifier/dp/B003HZPKXC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418257878&sr=8-1&keywords=crown+2000

Is there a code for the discount?  It keeps ringing up at full price when I try.  I can't imagine needing any more power than this amp delivers.  The 1500 was more than enough and this one is even more powerful.  Thanks!

roscoeiii

« Reply #21 on: 11 Dec 2014, 01:01 am »
No code. Discount  doesn't show up until late in the process.

*Scotty*

OzarkTom

« Reply #23 on: 11 Dec 2014, 02:20 am »
I'm really surprised by this, because so many people love the Job amp. 

That said, it sounded best with power conditioning on my system, and was noticeably more "forward" than my nCore amp.  It also lacked some of the detail and soundstage of the nCore (detail was not a major problem but soundstage was noticeably more 2D in the Crown).     :thumb:

All I can say, it must be system synergy with the Crown and your speakers, or your Ncores is a lot better than those tour Ncores that Rex and I heard at his place and mine. We both thought the small TBI amp was more 3D in our system than the Ncores were. If you read my original review of the Ncores, that was one of the remarks I made. The TBI was more holographic.

I did read this review before I bought my Crowns. He said it was great on 3D, Rex and I agree totally. As for Class D amps, so far I have not heard any of them sound 2D, even though I don't like them all.

http://www.arccinema.com/crown-xls-drivecore-amplifier-review/

jmdesignz2

« Reply #24 on: 11 Dec 2014, 03:23 am »
Ozark, what do you mean by TBI amp? The xls 2500? Bridged or stereo?
I need high current stabilty to under 3 ohms for my aerial 10ts and there's very demanding electrical phase angles to below 3 ohms.
http://www.stereophile.com/content/aerial-acoustics-10t-loudspeaker-measurements

The xls is intriguing and I have considered the 2500 but would always be wondering if the ncore would perform better with 120db sn vs 103 for the xls...

a.wayne

« Reply #25 on: 11 Dec 2014, 03:46 am »
The Crown XLS series will go down to 2 ohm safely, it is the Crown XTI series that will not.

Tom,

Where are you getting that , The XTI is rated into 2 ohms and is more flexible  and feature laden than the XLS. Now we need to know which is the better sounding unit ...

"Specifications: • Power output, stereo mode (EIA 1 kHz, both channels driven): 275 watts x 2 (8 ohms), 500 watts x 2 (4 ohms), 700 watts x 2 (2 ohms) • Output power, bridged mono mode (EIA 1 kHz): 1,000 watts x 1 (8 ohms), 1,400 watts x 1 (4 ohms) • Distortion (typical): <0.5% @ 8 and 4 ohms, <1% @ 2 ohms • S/N ratio (below rated 1 kHz power @ 8 ohms): 100 dB (A weighted) • Frequency response (at 1 watt, +0 dB, -1 dB): 20 - 20,000 Hz • Crosstalk (below rated power): 20 - 1,000 Hz: >70 dB • Input sensitivity (for full rated power at 4 ohms): 1.4V • Input impedance (nominal): 20k ohms balanced, 10k ohms unbalanced • Maximum input signal: +22 dBu typical • Damping factor (8 ohms, 20 Hz - 1 kHz) : >500 • Dimensions: 3.5" (2RU) H x 19" W x 12.25" D • Weight: 18.5 lbs."

OzarkTom

« Reply #26 on: 11 Dec 2014, 04:13 am »
A. Wayne, I believe one of the XLS tour members owns a XTI. They are quite a bit more in price, so I am anxious in what he says when he compares both.

jmdesignz2, according to the techs on the Crown Youtube video, these Crown Drivecore amps also has 120db sn. You can always pick up a used one for under $400 and if it does not work, sell it for the same money. The 2500 puts out 1200 wpc into 2 ohms.

jackman

« Reply #27 on: 11 Dec 2014, 08:34 pm »
All I can say, it must be system synergy with the Crown and your speakers, or your Ncores is a lot better than those tour Ncores that Rex and I heard at his place and mine. We both thought the small TBI amp was more 3D in our system than the Ncores were. If you read my original review of the Ncores, that was one of the remarks I made. The TBI was more holographic.

I did read this review before I bought my Crowns. He said it was great on 3D, Rex and I agree totally. As for Class D amps, so far I have not heard any of them sound 2D, even though I don't like them all.

http://www.arccinema.com/crown-xls-drivecore-amplifier-review/

Not sure why the nCore sounded bad on your system but the difference between it and the XLS on my system was significant.  The XLS sounded very detailed, forward with a wide and flat soundstage while the nCore sounded like music.  Speakers disappeared and the image was deep and wide.  I can't wait to hear Roscoe's setup.  He's got some impressive gear and I can't wait to hear it.  The Crown is a crazy good bargain. 

cab

« Reply #28 on: 11 Dec 2014, 09:12 pm »
A. Wayne, I believe one of the XLS tour members owns a XTI. They are quite a bit more in price, so I am anxious in what he says when he compares both.

jmdesignz2, according to the techs on the Crown Youtube video, these Crown Drivecore amps also has 120db sn. You can always pick up a used one for under $400 and if it does not work, sell it for the same money. The 2500 puts out 1200 wpc into 2 ohms.

According to Crown's own data sheet http://www.crownaudio.com/media/wysiwyg/XLS/XLS-DC_datasheet.pdf the SNR for the XLS 1000 is 97dB and 103 dB for all the other models. A far cry from the ncore's 125 dB....

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 11 Dec 2014, 11:43 pm »
Not sure why the nCore sounded bad on your system but the difference between it and the XLS on my system was significant.  The XLS sounded very detailed, forward with a wide and flat soundstage while the nCore sounded like music.  Speakers disappeared and the image was deep and wide.  I can't wait to hear Roscoe's setup.  He's got some impressive gear and I can't wait to hear it.  The Crown is a crazy good bargain.

Anyone comparing the Ncore to anything else needs to make sure the Ncore amp(s) have been powered up without interruption for 24 hours or so.  I suspect a lot of people doing "shootout" style quick evaluations may not be hearing the Ncore at its best, without proper warm up one will not hear what the Ncore is capable of.

jackman

« Reply #30 on: 11 Dec 2014, 11:48 pm »
Anyone comparing the Ncore to anything else needs to make sure the Ncore amp(s) have been powered up without interruption for 24 hours or so.  I suspect a lot of people doing "shootout" style quick evaluations may not be hearing the Ncore at its best, without proper warm up one will not hear what the Ncore is capable of.

I thought the nCore sounded better than the Crown, by a wide margin, immediately after a very short power-up cycle.  IMO, the nCore does not need 24 hours to sound its best.  Maybe an hour or so, that's it.  The Crown is a great bargain and it may be better suited to laid back speakers.  For the money, it's really hard to beat. 

I leave my nCore plugged in and on most of the time.  The switch in the back only mutes it, so it's technically on as long as it's plugged in.

roscoeiii

« Reply #31 on: 11 Dec 2014, 11:49 pm »

Tom is an experienced enough audiophile that I imagine he'd do that.

And what Jack and I heard was with an ncore that I don't think had been plugged in long.

OzarkTom

« Reply #32 on: 12 Dec 2014, 01:58 am »

I had the Ncores here on 24 hours a day for three days straight. When I took them to Rex's, we left the amps on for 24 hours before we listened at his place. They sounded much smoother at his house, very harsh at mine.

I even had a pair of the NC1200's here on constantly for two weeks. Those were much better, but still harsh on the weekend. It must be my bad AC.

OzarkTom

« Reply #33 on: 12 Dec 2014, 02:04 am »
According to Crown's own data sheet http://www.crownaudio.com/media/wysiwyg/XLS/XLS-DC_datasheet.pdf the SNR for the XLS 1000 is 97dB and 103 dB for all the other models. A far cry from the ncore's 125 dB....

And then there is that YouTube video from Harman with the techs saying they got it as low as 120db.

But I quit following specs 35 years ago, I listen with my ears, not with my eyes. :thumb:

cab

« Reply #34 on: 12 Dec 2014, 03:17 am »

But I quit following specs 35 years ago, I listen with my ears, not with my eyes. :thumb:

You quit following them yet you are the one who brought them up..... :scratch:

OzarkTom

« Reply #35 on: 12 Dec 2014, 06:52 pm »
You quit following them yet you are the one who brought them up..... :scratch:

:scratch: Where did you get that from? I only answered a concern.

dlaloum

« Reply #36 on: 17 Dec 2014, 07:12 am »
On the Harman video, I had the feeling they were talking at chip/chipset level... not a specific end product.

Presumably with the right ancillary setup (particularly PSU) an additional 10+ db of S/N would be achievable...