"Reference" "Xtreme" "the full Gary

Mike Matheson

« on: 6 Feb 2003, 10:19 am »
Hi guys,

Trying to understand the differences between the various forms the mono's are available in. Based on past posts, I've seen mention of the "Reference Mono's", the "Xtreme Mono's", and then something refered to as "the full Gary".

What's the current situation regarding these upgrades available for the mono's? Differences, costs, etc.? Is there a summary of this info posted somewhere?

Thanks for any input,

Mike

BlackCat

« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2003, 02:42 pm »
You'd have to go back to the HD discussion forum for a full history here, but as I understand it (others please correct me if I'm mistaken) here's the story.  The "reference" monos are what eventually became the Xtreme monos - they were originally called "reference" because Klaus didn't know what to call them, there was a mini-naming contest here, and Klaus chose the Xtreme name for his new upgraded monoblocks.  Therefore, the "reference" and the Xtremes are the same beast.

The "full Gary" was a special custom job that Klaus did for some guy (See the HD thread) that was really wiz-bang, and some of those upgrades resulted in the new Xtremes.  The Xtremes do not have all the wiz-bang stuff of the "full Gary" version, but Klaus believed the cost of the "full Gary" would not result in a lot of sales for him (I think it was around 5 grand).  So, if you've got the bux, give Klaus a call, and try to talk him into making you another "full Gary", if not, get the Xtremes, you'll love 'em.

wreilly

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2003, 12:08 pm »
Quote from: BlackCat
Therefore, the "reference" and the Xtremes are the same beast.

So, is the Xtreme the same as the DM on the Odyssey WEB site or is this a special order item?

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2003, 01:23 pm »
I don't believe the Xtremes are listed on the website.  I'd give Klaus a call and schedule yours in for a make over.

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2003, 03:13 pm »
Quote from: wreilly
So, is the Xtreme the same as the DM on the Odyssey WEB site or is this a special order item?

They are different. The Xtreme has double the power supply of the DM and upgraded caps. The Xtreme's require two seperate chassis to accomodate the power supply improvements. As MaxCast mentions, they are not listed on the web site.

Mike

BlackCat

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2003, 03:15 pm »
No, the XTremes are not the same as the monoblocks on the website.  They are modified.  These modifications are a subset of the mods that Klaus put on the "full Gary".  I'm not sure what all is involved, a new transformer perhaps, and some upgraded parts.  I think it says so over on the Odyssey HD thread, or you could just call Klaus.  I never heard the monoblocks, I ordered mine just as the XTremes were becoming available, talked to Klaus, and just upgraded to order to XTremes.  I am simply ecstatic with them, my wife is impressed and my "friends" are already thinking of ways to break into my house to "borrow" them.

I guess Klaus is too busy doing XTreme upgrades to existing monoblocks to update his website...Klaus, if you read this, will trade HTML development for stereo equipment ;)

wreilly

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2003, 11:41 am »
Thank you everyone! I will talk to Klaus today.