Introducing: Infra-Wave...The Destroyer

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
Introducing: Infra-Wave...The Destroyer
« on: 27 Mar 2007, 10:03 pm »
Friends,

Here is the subwoofer your mother warned you about.  If your home is well built , this is the one you're going to want.  If it is not, you should probably pass. Designed on our proprietary T-Line technology as implimented in our Revlation MR-1 Floorstanding Loudspeakers, the Infra-Wave offers unprecidented performance in the area of low frequency reproduction.

We are showing it without a plate amp, but if desired, one can be easily accommodated in the space between the driver port and the T-Line exit.  Also, you will note the drivers are not installed in the first picture below.

The specs are:

Sensitivity.........85dB @ 1W/1M (anechoic - no room gain factored in)

Power Handling...225W Long Term - 600W Short Term

Impedance.........4-Ohms

Drivers..............(2) 10-inch Aluminum Cone in Isobaric Configuration

Bass Extension...-3dB @ 19Hz (anechoic)

Roll-off Below
Corner Freq.......12 dB per Octave

Excursion Limited
Max. SPL...........108 dB SPL @ 225W (anechoic)

In-Room
Max SPL............111 dB to 117dB depending on placement

Dimensions.........12.5" X 12.5" X 90"

Recommended
Crossover Freq...30Hz to 80 Hz (user discretion - can be as high as 1KHz)

Base Price..........$2,500.00 (unpowered & unfinished version)

For placement such as shown in the second and third pictures, you will need to leave a space between the business side of the sub and the wall.  The amount of space needed can be as little as 3 inches but experimentation will be required to get the best results.  Also, these pictures show the I-W standing upright in the corner.  This is not necessary as it will work exactly the same if it is laid on its side in a similar fashion.  We have tried to show how it can "disappear" if painted to match the walls, but your finish options are only limited by your imagination.

As an added note, the design can be "shrunk" to smaller dimensions by using 8 or even 6.5-inch drivers instead of the 10-inch ones used in this design.  Of course, performance and price will "shrink" accordingly as well.  I haven't done the computer models for those yet, so I don't have any specs for you.  But... if somebody is serious and wants to twist my arm a little, I'll work them up for ya.  Rest assured, whatever the numbers turn out to be... they'll still be pretty awesome!  :thumb:

Unpainted with Drivers & Ports Exposed

Unpainted with Drivers & Ports Hidden Against Wall

Painted with Drivers & Ports Hidden Against Wall
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2010, 11:52 pm by Aether Audio »

jermmd

Re: Introducing: Infra-Wave...The Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2007, 11:02 pm »
What are the dimensions?
What is the frequency range this is recommended for?

ooheadsoo

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2007, 11:35 pm »
Bob said no higher than 60hz, preferably 30-40hz in the other thread. 

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2007, 12:25 am »
jermmd,

Note the updated specs above.  Sorry about that. :duh:

-Bob

Bica

• http://www.bica.com.tw
« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2007, 12:55 am »
I imagine this might be the perfect match for the Timepiece, even though no one is really complaining about the latter's low bass performance.

I also imagine that a crossover per the Dahlquist LP-1 concept might be a clean and beautiful way to integrate the Infra-Wave and the Timepiece.

Or is a 10" isobaric-configuration (instead of MTM) full range model on the horizon?

I look forward to the arrival of the first Infra-Wave and the Timepiece "3.0" upgrade.  :roll:

WOR Radio

• Main Website
« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2007, 09:18 pm »
It will be most interesting to see how the proximity to the wall filters the bandpass. Being close to the wall will add loading to the entire system but distances and fine tuning variables can be hammered out over time.

I am an avid fan of dual lows with stereo programme. For theater use, it is a non issue since the programme material is already monaural.

When a classical recording is performed and captured, antiphase is present between the boundaries of the stage and a single sub commode will render a nulled output down there..thus missing some musical detail. I for one recommend these units in pairs. Double your pleasure and double your fun!

Looks like a killer project Bob!!

Bigfish

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2007, 10:45 pm »
This baby sounds like a real window rattler and would be a real upgrade from my current M&K 1250 sub in my HT System.  Base that makes you move is a real plus for HT.  I can only imagine how it would perform with the new James Bond movie.

Question:  Sending a signal to a powered sub from an HT Receiver or HT Preamp is no issue.  I do not think the Candela I have on order has a Sub signal outlet.  If this is the case how would I send a 2 channel sound signal to the Infra-Wave?  I am certain this will come across as a dumb question but I am clueless and would like to know the answer.  Most likely I will seriously consider this sub when my system starts coming together.

Thanks,

Ken

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2007, 03:24 pm »
Ken,

I'm not familiar with the "Candela" you are referring to.  I assume it is a 2-channel preamp.  As is the case with most such devices, it is doubtful if it has a line-level (low voltage) "sub only" output.  If it did, that would mean it has a built in low-pass filter...not likely.

Assuming that to be the case, you have a couple of options.  First, if you want the sub to be powered (it is available either powered or not) then you'll need to provide it a line-level signal.  The amp in the sub will have a L & R line-level input.  All you need to do is use a "Y" splitter cable on each of the preamp's L/R outputs.  One half of each Y goes on to the power amp as usual, the other half feeds the sub's inputs - piece of cake.  If the preamp has two sets of outputs for each channel (as some do) then you don't even need the Y splitter.  Just run the second set of pre outputs to the sub's inputs and you're good to go.

If you want to go with a passive sub, then you'll need either an active crossover of some kind or... we would have to build a passive low-pass filter into the sub for you.  This gets a little complicated to cover here, but to go with an external active X-O, you'll need more hardware.  Going passive all the way can be done, but to do it for a single sub (as in a normal mono sub setup) gets a little involved.  In that case you have to passively sum the L & R power amp outputs.  Depending on the power amp, doing so can be accomplished with either power resistors (wastes juice and won't work with some amps) or a summing transformer (can be somewhat expensive and/or detrimental to sound quality).

Let me know if/when you're getting ready and we'll talk about it.

Take care,
-Bob :D

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2007, 03:41 pm »
Ken,

I'm not familiar with the "Candela" you are referring to.  I assume it is a 2-channel preamp.  As is the case with most such devices, it is doubtful if it has a line-level (low voltage) "sub only" output.  If it did, that would mean it has a built in low-pass filter...not likely.

Bob - That's the Odyssey tube preamp that goes with the Mono SE amps I brought to your place.  It doesn't have lowpass, but a second set of outputs or use of a Y shouldn't be a problem.  Plenty of drive capability too.

Tom

Bigfish

« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2007, 02:42 am »
Bob:

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.  Fed Ex is scheduled to deliver my new amps tomorrow and the Candela Preamp is scheduled for delivery later this week.  Original tentative timetable was for you to ship the Timepiece 2.1's to me in the mid-June.  After I receive them I will decide if I feel the need for more base in the system. 

I am curious if you have had the opportunity to listen to an Infra-Wave --Destroyer or pair of them in a system with the Timepieces?  If you have or anyone reading this has had the opportunity would you please comment about the performance.  Especially interested in how the Sub(s) integrate with the speakers.

Thanks Again,

Ken

alotaklipsch

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2008, 12:22 am »
Time for the best, call me Bob

Steve :drool:

Christof

« Reply #11 on: 3 Oct 2008, 06:28 pm »
Anyone taken the plunge yet?  I have a space of about 20" x 7' behind a sofa in my loft that could use filling :wink:

seadogs1

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2009, 02:02 am »
Bob, is this sub still available in the unfinished unpowered edition? If so what's the latest price and lead time? Also, what is the power rating for the sub?