Hello from Cary, NC!

jtconte

Hello from Cary, NC!
« on: 13 May 2020, 01:12 pm »
I am a long time (40+ years) lover of music and reproducing music. I really got the bug for quality sound when a friends uncle played an album that I had but it sounded way better! His system, an all-in-one receiver and turntable, that was maybe a Pioneer or a Panasonic looked similar to my Panasonic system so why the big difference? He explained that his had a Magnetic cartridge and mine was probably the cheaper Ceramic cartridge. After much magazine and library reading/research, I learned that one of the leading cartridge manufacturers was not too far from me in Brooklyn, NY! I was probably 15 years old. I took the bus and walked to Grado Labs. Joe Grado was very kind and explained that I could not just buy his entry magnetic cartridge and swap it out. That my system was setup for the high output of its ceramic cartridge. He told me that if I wanted to convert my system, I would have to get a step-up device from Radio Shack and splice into the tonearm leads to solder phono plugs on to accommodate the RS step-up device. And so my adventure began!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from Cary, NC!
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2020, 08:09 pm »
Welcome  :thumb:

vanderstephen

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2020, 08:36 pm »
Greetings from west Cary!

jcsperson

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2020, 09:36 pm »
Greetings from beautiful Hillsborough!

mcmusicman

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2020, 09:56 pm »
Welcome to AC.  I'm right down the road in Wilmington. Cheers.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2020, 10:24 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2020, 10:32 pm »
Welcome!

jgerber4

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2020, 10:43 pm »
Welcome from Raleigh.

krustykat

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2020, 10:50 pm »
And a warm welcome from Apex.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2020, 11:03 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC jt   :thumb:

richidoo

« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2020, 12:51 am »
Hello from Cary right back atcha!   :thumb:

Welcome to AudioCircle!

jtconte

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2020, 10:57 am »
Thanks for the warm welcomes!  :D

jodell1973@gmail.com

« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2020, 01:05 pm »
Welcome!

jodell1973@gmail.com

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2020, 05:29 pm »
I am a long time (40+ years) lover of music and reproducing music. I really got the bug for quality sound when a friends uncle played an album that I had but it sounded way better! His system, an all-in-one receiver and turntable, that was maybe a Pioneer or a Panasonic looked similar to my Panasonic system so why the big difference? He explained that his had a Magnetic cartridge and mine was probably the cheaper Ceramic cartridge. After much magazine and library reading/research, I learned that one of the leading cartridge manufacturers was not too far from me in Brooklyn, NY! I was probably 15 years old. I took the bus and walked to Grado Labs. Joe Grado was very kind and explained that I could not just buy his entry magnetic cartridge and swap it out. That my system was setup for the high output of its ceramic cartridge. He told me that if I wanted to convert my system, I would have to get a step-up device from Radio Shack and splice into the tonearm leads to solder phono plugs on to accommodate the RS step-up device. And so my adventure began!

That's one heck of a start!

jtconte

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jun 2020, 09:52 pm »
That's one heck of a start!

Thanks! Yes, it was!