Neil from Miami

neilspeed

Neil from Miami
« on: 7 Jun 2020, 03:49 am »
Hi there;  I am Neil from Miami.  I have been looking into DIY speakers including GR Research.  I am interested in the Cube Audio speakers and was wondering whether flat packs were available for them.  That ultimately brought me to this site.  I am also a member on many of the popular audio sites.     :)

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Neil from Miami
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2020, 04:33 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Neil   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2020, 11:49 am »
Welcome!

Have been a single driver fan for 20 years.  Commissioned Bob Brines (now retired) to design/build a pair of floor standing transmission lines (from Martin King's MathCad application) in 2004 using Fostex F200a drivers (rated 30-20,000 Hz, 90 dB/w/m, 8 ohms, AnNiCo magnet, no whizzer) that I later had EnABL'd by Bud Purvine (who invented the treatment process).  Now thanks to Duke LeJeune run them in parallel with "Late Ceiling Splash" ambience tweeters to enhance high frequency response/expand soundstage and thanks to Floyd Toole have added 3 subwoofers to fill in the bass and deal with inherent in-room bass peaks/dips.  Suggest reading his "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition to learn how speakers behave in-room. 

Don't believe in whizzer cones, see them as mechanical crossovers that interfere with the wave form coming off the main cone and suffer from phase mistakes of the whizzer cone "tweeter" riding on the main cone wave forms.  In that case would rather go with active coincidental monitors. 

A surprising mix: GR Research and Cube Audio. 

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2020, 02:06 pm »
Welcome to AC!  I'm about 3 hours North of you.

neilspeed

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2020, 05:25 pm »
Hi Phil.  Nice to meet you.  Heard a lot of good things about your Ohm Walsh speakers.  Hope you are enjoying them.   :)

neilspeed

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2020, 05:33 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Neil   :thumb:
Thanks Arthur.  Nice speakers.  They look pretty heavy :)

janghell

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2020, 05:36 pm »
Welcome from another new member:-)

neilspeed

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2020, 05:43 pm »
Welcome!

Have been a single driver fan for 20 years.  Commissioned Bob Brines (now retired) to design/build a pair of floor standing transmission lines (from Martin King's MathCad application) in 2004 using Fostex F200a drivers (rated 30-20,000 Hz, 90 dB/w/m, 8 ohms, AnNiCo magnet, no whizzer) that I later had EnABL'd by Bud Purvine (who invented the treatment process).  Now thanks to Duke LeJeune run them in parallel with "Late Ceiling Splash" ambience tweeters to enhance high frequency response/expand soundstage and thanks to Floyd Toole have added 3 subwoofers to fill in the bass and deal with inherent in-room bass peaks/dips.  Suggest reading his "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition to learn how speakers behave in-room. 

Don't believe in whizzer cones, see them as mechanical crossovers that interfere with the wave form coming off the main cone and suffer from phase mistakes of the whizzer cone "tweeter" riding on the main cone wave forms.  In that case would rather go with active coincidental monitors. 

A surprising mix: GR Research and Cube Audio.

Hi JLM.  Sounds like you have a nice system and have put a lot of effort into it.  I am currently using a pair of Audio Note AN-E SPe HE speakers. This was originally fed by other AN components that I have moved on from.  I should be able to post my current complete system soon.  My room is too large for them so I am looking to supplement the bottom end with a REL or maybe moving to a larger speaker. 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2020, 10:08 pm »
Welcome  :thumb: