Built in tower sub or stand alone

YouTubeUniversity

Built in tower sub or stand alone
« on: 17 Jan 2021, 05:52 pm »
I'm new and designing a system for a home theater/ listening room that is 22' wide and 17 deep'. Off axis response is critical because theres 2 couches side by side and limited center seating in the room to maximize capacity.

I'm wanting to design a simple stereo tower setup and am playing around with the idea of running a MT or MMT and then sealing into the bottom of the chamber a dedicated front facing 8" sub in each tower. Or should I just build a separate 8-10" enclosure?

Mostly trying to figure out what has been done before so I can copy some basic things so I don't run into issues.

Mike-48

Re: Built in tower sub or stand alone
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2021, 09:27 pm »
I don't know what an MT or MMT are (mid-tweeter etc.?), but I have thoughts on sub positioning.
A good reason to have subs separate from the main speakers is optimal placement of each. Main speakers can be adjusted front/back and right/left to give best imaging and smooth response. In many rooms, that will leave a hole in the bass, and subs can be positioned to fill that in.
For smoothest bass response across an extended area, use four subs (or more) in a distributed bass array. There's material on the Audiokinesis site; they have such a system called the Swarm.
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2021, 08:42 pm by Mike-48 »

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2021, 09:34 pm »
Definitely separate subs.

And 8" subs in a 22x17 room is totally insufficient. You'll need, at a minimum, two 12" subs, but preferably 15" subs.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2021, 01:05 pm »
I don't know what an MT or MMT are (mid-tweeter etc.?), but I have thoughts on sub positioning.
A good reason to have subs separate from the main speakers is optimal placement of each. Main speakers can be adjusted front/back and right/left to give best imaging and smooth response. In many rooms, that will leave a hole in the bass, and subs can be positioned to fill that in.
For smoothest bass response across an extended area, use for subs (or more) in a distributed bass array. There's material on the Audiokinesis site; they have such a system called the Swarm.

+1

I run 3 carefully placed subwoofers in my 8ft x 13ft x 21ft audio room.  Suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" to learn how bass behaves in-room.  Toole worked for the National Research Council (formerly Canadian Research Council) where he developed spinorama loudspeaker testing in anechoic chambers that actually predicts in-room behavior and pioneered double blind listening testing using trained panels of highly qualified listeners to confirm his spinorama test results.  He recently retired from Harmon International where he worked with JBL.  BTW his theories are supported by other noted acousticans such as Earl Geddes.