$1000 acoustic guitar ?

refmedia

Re: $1000 acoustic guitar ?
« Reply #20 on: 23 Feb 2007, 05:53 am »

mike.b

« Reply #21 on: 23 Feb 2007, 06:36 am »
go for a larrivee 03
all solid wood..they just use the less visually pleasing  wood...but spruce is spruce and rosewood is rosewood
a $1000 03 will sound as nice as their most expensive model
some say even better because they have a thinner, non glossy finish

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #22 on: 23 Feb 2007, 01:28 pm »
Unfortunately, you can't say that model X of brand Y will always be a worthy guitar.

Like hard drives or other electrical components, factory made guitars can change every year in some significant ways.

Therefore you have to play them, touch them, tap them, test the action and voicing up and down the fretboard, etc.

I have never owned a Larrivee but have had them recommended, I may have played one years ago. I did pick a Martin 000-15 when buying a $500 guitar six years ago, but the necks were not consistent and I had to pick the best one of 3.

But I think mike.b might really be on to something with this model of Larrivee. The look of the guitar, which does reflect some of the craftsmanship, is what determines a lot of the sales price these days. So this model doesn't put looks first, and thats a good thing for saving money assuming they do put quality first. Assuming you don't stumble on a pre-war Martin for $300, I would try to play a few of that Larrivee model, and pick the one you like the best. And Larivee was your gut reaction choice...otherwise you could take years, and still pick a guitar you are unhappy with down the road.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #23 on: 23 Feb 2007, 09:46 pm »
go for a larrivee 03
all solid wood..they just use the less visually pleasing  wood...but spruce is spruce and rosewood is rosewood
a $1000 03 will sound as nice as their most expensive model
some say even better because they have a thinner, non glossy finish

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/names/larrivee-d-03-with-case--D03.htm

They also have used vintage guitars: http://www.elderly.com/vintage/

Imperial

nodiak

« Reply #24 on: 23 Feb 2007, 10:25 pm »
Thanks for all the ideas.
Funny how these things go...
I went to the local shop I often avoid, headtrippers, pushy sales methods. In the backroom at the end of the rack is a 1960's Yamaki dreadnaught for $549 (thought it said Yamaha at first). The top looks bad, it's spruce but is a bit marked and has a blotchy finish. The sides and back are nice solid rosewood. Bracing looks a little chunky, but bridge is still flat, neck straight. Pretty good feeling neck.
Man it plays very well! Great output, even tone, clear highs, deep bass. Exceptional sustain.
I completely missed this company back in the day.
I start researching Yamaki guitars and learn they have a great reputation, comparisons to D28's (this one is basically a copy of), etc.. Yamaha sued them for name infringement, Yamaki folded and sold tooling etc to Daion (of Japan).
Could be a good one for me. Ugly top, rest is nice, sounds great, cheap.
So who knows about Yamaki's?

I went back to theguitarstoreoftheegomaniacs to check out the Yamaki again, and was offered it for $500, so I put a deposit down. When I got home there was a message that the case wouldn't be included and that's why they went down in price. :scratch: :evil:! I went back and got my deposit back. Thought a peaceful deal had been made, but they lived up to their rep again. F those guys.
So I'll extend the casual approach over the next few months or less. Just remembered my friends Alvarez Yairi dreadnaught, will see if I can locate one. This is a good back burner issue, if it comes I will play it!
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2007, 12:24 am by nodiak »

nodiak

« Reply #25 on: 25 Apr 2007, 02:51 am »
Hi all, just thought I'd post that I got a 1976 Alvarez Yairi D-77! It sounds great, very great. It's basically a copy of a Martin HD28. There was an old HD28 in local shop and I strummed it a bit, it's got more projection and is warmer, lived up to the reputation. I'd say this Yairi has 85-90% of the projection and bass resonance, but a clearer tone that I prefer. The Yairi was owned by a woman who mainly played 12 string, so it was not played often and it shows. It seems to be still breaking in. It is almost unworn, a few light swirly finish marks (not deep enough to be scratches) and a very small ding. The finish has no cracks or wear throughs at all. Neck is straight, bridge is flat.
Happy guy!

Don

pjchappy

« Reply #26 on: 25 Apr 2007, 03:28 am »
Definitely try a bunch out.  Last time I went acoustic guitar shopping, I played a few different Martins, a couple Takamines, one Yamaha (don't remember specific models, but, price range was about $1200 to about $3000). . .and various others.  That day, I just loved the sound of a Taylor Big Baby ($400).

A friend of mine has a lower end Seagull (S6, maybe???). . .it plays well, but the tone is a bit too deep/dark for me.  I've played it extensively w/ a few different sets of strings on it, too.

Again. . .my point. . .go play some guitars!!!!   :thumb:

p

Benb

« Reply #27 on: 25 Apr 2007, 04:08 am »
You might want to check out Zager guitars.
I've got the ZAD-80 and it's a really nice player.
They are apparently made in the Martin Sigma plant.

http://www.zagerguitar.com/index.php?event=public.store.guitars.list