Anyone using Odyssey with Thiels (or have thoughts)?

Jonathan

I have a pair of CS 3.6s speakers. They're pretty current hungry, averaging  around 2.7 ohms (in spite of being rated as 4 ohm). I am using a pair of Quicksilver 90 watt mono tube amps; they sound quite nice on small scale stuff, but the bottom end is a bit loose and they poop out on highly dynamic or large scale music. (Preamp is a Quicksilver linestage; source is a Rega Saturn).

I have been borrowing a friend's old Bryston 4NBR over the past couple of days. I love what they do with the bottom end, but they don't have the magical midrange of my Quicksilvers, and they sound a bit flat by comparison. Trying now to find a newer solid state amp that will give me the bass control of the Bryston, but with a bit more refinement overall. And my budget is around $1500 new or used.

Any thoughts on the Odyssey as an option? Thanks much,

Jon

Oystein

Re: Anyone using Odyssey with Thiels (or have thoughts)?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2009, 07:09 am »
Dear Johnathan,

I do not have any experience with the Thiel speakers but this is what I can tell you:
If you have read all the reviews you can read that all reviewers are very positive and the price of the amp does not show the real qualities of the amp.
The Odyssey amps are stable up to 2 ohm but an upgraded model (Plus / Extreme) with the extra caps would be a wise choice.
I have a Khartago Plus and this one is soundwise very close to my friends amplifier who has a DK Design Reference MK II. This is a hybrid amp (tubes front stage / solid state power amp) so hopefully this will give you some clues.
And Odyssey offers a 30 days return policy if you do not like the amp (which is unlikely ;-) )

Oystein

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2009, 01:12 am »
you could look for use electrocompaniet amps as well - these are stable to <1 ohm.  but, i think your best bet would be to actively cross the thiel's to subwoofers - let the tube amps do what they do well, and relieve them of the need to see anything below ~60-80hz.  get any decent s/s amp for the subs.

i used to own 3.5's - makes your 3.6's look like a walk in the park, re: their difficulty to be driven.   :lol:  when i went w/active x-over and subs, not only did the low bass improve markedly, but the upper bass/midrange of the 3.5's also markedly improved as well...

doug s.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2009, 08:10 am »
Works well.  The problem that you have with the 3.  series Thiels are their tweeters,  meaning that the top end can be a bit hot.  So,  you would need an amp that is extended,  but very coherent and natural in the top registers,  which is exactly what we have.  2nd thing you need is current.  Again,   ahem.

And BTW,  our amps are stabile in the 1 Ohm regions !!!!!!!