Anyone here NOT using an Odyssey preamp with your Odyssey amp?

Larkston Zinaspic

I've become more and more curious about the Candela after reading about it here...but since this is an Odyssey-centric circle I would kind of expect to find rave reviews about it here, as well as the Tempest. I'm curious to know about those who have chosen something other than Odyssey for their preamp as well.

I'm currently using an Audio Research LS2B with Klaus' Dual Mono. I don't see ARC discussed much in this circle...are they generally not considered a good match? I was thinking about having the LS2 modded by Great Northern Sound, but if the Candela is just a better choice I might go for that instead. Any thoughts/suggestions on this?

gongos

I use a Dodd Reference Preamp w/ upgraded caps and 5 bybees installed and love it.

byteme

I've been using tube pre's since before getting Odyssey amps.  And once I got the Odyssey amps it became pretty clear that using them with tubes was glorious!  I went through two or three upgrade to pre's and finally was able to save enough to get the deHavilland Utraverve.  I have no intent or desire to upgrade either the deHavilland or the Odyssey Mono Extremes.  Unless someone wants to give me and awesome deal on a deHavilland Mercury!

I love the Stratos amps with tubed preamps!

Pacio

I use a Promitheus TVC (transformer volume control) passive pre which will be soon matched with a Promitheus active tubed pre with output transformers and no volume control.
As a stand alone pre, the TVC is a great bargain, since it sounds really great and Nicholas (Promitheus Audio) still charge too little money for the sonic qualities of the TVC. It is paired with a Stratos Extreme stereo (terrific amplifier!!).
I know that a passive pre may not be for everyone..
Anyway for what I heard and read, the Candela seems to be a great piece of pre amp..

Cheers,
Marco

Wizard454

I am currently running mono extremes and have had good results with both an old NAD solid state pre and for the last few months with a Sonic Frontiers Line 2 SE+.
The NAD was a receiver with pre outs and mated well with the amps but it had a little bit of a hard edge to it not to say it was overly fatiguing because it wasn't, it easily got your toes tapping. 
When I first put the S.F. (standard version SF Line2) into the system I of course noticed a marked improvement in most areas. High end smoothed out, low end became more solid and mid range was good. Klaus had told me the SF was a good match and should perform well with the mono's and he was right but I could tell there was still room for improvement. The S.F. then encountered a problem and I sent it off to Chris Johnston of PCX. In discussion with him I decided to have the "full monty" SE++ mod done to it. As good as the std version sounded the modded version is glorious!
Improvements are:
-More Dynamic
-Deeper, tighter low end
-more open & airy
-absolutely fantastic mid range
-much better pace (can really get your toes tapping and head bobbing)
-Overall clarity is vastly improved

The S.F. is a feature laidened pre and fits my needs very well. Yes, I have considered trying the Candela but but for "me" it simply does not have the feature set as yet. I find the ability to reverse phase with the SF a very valuable tool, I do use headphones fairly often and I also have multiple sources that I switch between from my listening postion. To me the match between to SF and the mono's now is fantastic and it's hard to believe there's anything out there that betters it. A client of mine is now considering ordering up the mono's along with the Candela and if he does then I might have the opportunity to do an A/B between the two.

That's my 2 cents.
Good luck and good listening!

System:
SF Line2 SE++
Mono Extreme SE
Cary CD308
Sony SCD333ES
Paradigm Studio Ref. 60V2
Paradigim Servo 15
Video: Toshiba 3900 series DVD plus a couple of VHS units

Soundbitten

I went from a Musical Fidelity XP-100 ss to a tubed Anthem 1L pairing with my Stratos . The MF has more resolution but the Anthem is warmer and more multi-dimensional . I still use the MF in the warm summer months and can appreciate the different sound it gives .

buckeyefanandy

I am running my monos with a tubed Audio Mirror and the Khartago extreme with a ps audio solid state, both with nice results.

Christof

I am running stereo Khartagos in a biamp config with an Electrocompaniet ECI-3 as a passive preamp but I too am curious about the Candela as well as the TVC passive that Marco mentioned.  F-100 is running the TVC with his amps as well maybe he will chime in here. For now I have no complaints with the ECI-3 & Khartagos.

dangerbird

I'm using an Audible Illusions M-3 with my mono's,,moving soon to a BAT

bunky

I own and Have run an Anthem Pre1L tube pre and a Balanced Audio Technology VK 3i tube pre with my extreme SE's but i tried the Candela tube pre and it is so good that it is staying in my 2 channel rig  :thumb: thanks....WCW III

Haoleb

Re: Anyone here NOT using an Odyssey preamp with your Odyssey amp?
« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2007, 11:24 pm »
Im using a modified Bottlehead Foreplay II preamp with my khartago's, However I have been keeping my eye on Audiogon and around here for perhaps a tempest or used candela if those ever start hitting the used market. Im still trying to decide if I want to spend the money and upgrade my preamp down the road. I would sort of like to build the new Foreplay III with all the upgrades because It would still cost less than a candela or just about the same as a tempest and I suspect it might just be better.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2007, 12:26 am »
Im using a modified Bottlehead Foreplay II preamp with my khartago's, However I have been keeping my eye on Audiogon and around here for perhaps a tempest or used candela if those ever start hitting the used market. Im still trying to decide if I want to spend the money and upgrade my preamp down the road. I would sort of like to build the new Foreplay III with all the upgrades because It would still cost less than a candela or just about the same as a tempest and I suspect it might just be better.
Would you mind giving your impressions of the Foreplay and why you suspect that it would still be better then a Candela.

Haoleb

« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2007, 01:11 am »
Well the Complete extended foreplay is $600 so if you wanted to invest even MORE money into it making it even better you would still be in for less than a candela. Perhaps I should rephrase my original statement though also, Im really not sure if it would be better. I really have no clue to be honest. I have never heard the candela or the tempest. I know klaus's products are an outstanding value so automatically they are hard to beat. But I have been pretty impressed with my Foreplay II, Stock i will admit that it was just fine but after some of the mods ive done to it it has really improved dramatically. It sounds better than the preamp section in my old NAD integrated as well as an Audire Diffet 2 preamp. From what I have read on the bottlehead forums folks are claiming an astounding improvement in the extended foreplay III vs the II or even stock III. That makes me think wow this thing must be pretty good! So knowing how good the candela is supposed to be and how good the foreplay III is supposed to be I just cant help but think that they would be similar in sound quality.

Build quality wise of course the candela wins hands down. It looks alot better, is made better, and comes from someone we all trust. I wish i  had the chance to compare all of them to draw any real meaningful conclusions, But I know that there are alot of folks who have built  these foreplays and replaced much more expensive equipment. Plus, I really like being able to build something myself and design a chassis the way I want it to look which is exactly what I would do If i ever bought a FP III

lazydays

« Reply #13 on: 19 Feb 2007, 01:24 am »
My mono extremes have had several tube preamps in front of them. All worked well, but the Candela was better. Had a:
*Conrad Johnson PV10    "very smooth, and a good match"
*Quicksilver LS              "Very nice, but I liked the CJ better, maybe a touch   
                                     grainy"
*ASL 2004                     " not at the same level with the other two"
gary

BikeWNC

« Reply #14 on: 19 Feb 2007, 01:25 am »
While not an Odyssey pre, I am using a Symphonic Line Die Erleuchtung tube preamp which is more like a european half brother.  It works great with the Mono SE amps as one would expect.

Andy

carusoracer

« Reply #15 on: 19 Feb 2007, 02:07 am »
I have yet to hear the Candela but have heard the AR. I think the new Modwright  w/upgraded tube rectification? should be very good, or SAS 11A, or the new Sim Moon PreAmp, Dodd Audio reference. aa

Those are the PreAmps that I'm looking at next. Right now running NOS factory upgrade EE Minimax with good results :D

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #16 on: 19 Feb 2007, 02:51 am »
Don't have my monos yet (supposedly next week according to Herr Bunge).  I'll be running a Korato KVP20 tubed pre with it. 

Bryan

speyer

« Reply #17 on: 19 Feb 2007, 05:28 am »
 :thumb:I'm using a placette passive with my Mono Extremes with great results.  Due to the low input impedance of the Monos, one would think this would not be the case.  However, the system plays gorgeous music.

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #18 on: 19 Feb 2007, 06:05 am »
I have used two pre's with my Stereo Stratos Extreme.

First was a Monolithic passive. Sounded quite nice and had PLENTY of gain. Couldn't go past 10 o'clock without the neighbors thinking it was Northridge II.

Currently use a TAD150 (essentially a better built and modded Audcom 120 by Paul @ BizzyBee). Wanted to try tubes and needed a remote. It works very well with the Stratos with the exception of a power-up "pop". Not too bad of one, though. Very pleased with the combination and the TAD150 is eye candy too (champagne front with two round windows revealing the tubes).

craig223

« Reply #19 on: 19 Feb 2007, 01:41 pm »
I use an Audio Research LS3 that has new switches with my Sympnonic power amp.  Cables are Kimber and the power amp uses a VH Audio 4 power cord.  Sounds great!