Belles Vs. Odyssey

Jack Dotson

Belles Vs. Odyssey
« on: 10 Dec 2006, 11:21 pm »
Hello all.  First time poster.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on the Stratos with only limited exposure.

I recently upgraded my HT amp and Speakers.  My speakers were changed from Energy Veritas 2.3i's to Usher CP-6381's.  I was initially only going to change out my amp, but I ran across a deal on the Ushers so I jumped on it.

Anyhow, I did quite a bit of research and decided to try the Stratos amp.  I found a good deal on a used Stratos with redboard and cap upgrade (is this called the extreme?) and even though it had a silver face plate and I needed black, I bought if figuring the face plate would be easy enough to change and if I sold it the buyer could have their choice.

I was so caught up with my research that I didn't realize it had the 19" face plate and wouldn't fit into my entertainment center (I know, I know.  I'm married, what can I say?).  I put the amp back up for sale and it sold almost immediately.  I removed the amp from the box for inspection and hooked it up to ensure it worked properly before selling.  I only had the amp in my system for a couple of days, but it left a lasting impression.  Very detailed and dynamic amp.  Synergy with my system (Arcam AVP-700 pre-processor used in two channel by-pass for audio, Naim CD5i source, Chord cables) was very, very good.

The one amp I have really been wanting is the Belles 350A Reference and as luck would have it, at the same time I was selling the Odyssey I found a deal for one.  I've had it in my system for a couple of weeks now and it's everything they say it is.  A very neutral and powerful amp.  Bass control and is about as good as it gets. 

Having said that, in my system I feel the Stratos (roughly 1/4th the price) is the better fit.  It's hard to describe because both are very good, but in very different ways.  I've all but made my mind up to sale the Belles and get a Stratos dual mono extreme. I'm going to have to make or purchase a new cabinet to set my TV on so I'll have room for it, but the way this amp sings in my system will make it worth it.

I've been into this for years and it's all about the synergy.  And, in my system the Stratos sounded darned good indeed and I'm comparing it to some very serious competition.  Way to go Odyssey!

Haoleb

Re: Belles Vs. Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2006, 11:59 pm »
You could always go with the Khartago's

Faceplate is 18" and chassis itself is 16.250"

Jack Dotson

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2006, 05:41 am »

I'll need to add a three channel amp in the future for HT, so I would like to keep my two channel amp in one chasis.  I'm thinking Stratos dual mono extreme.  Let Kraus do what he can in one chasis.  Any idea what a new one would cost?

Oh yeah, and have the light changed to green as well.  That would be too cool! :0)

Haoleb

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2006, 06:24 am »

I'll need to add a three channel amp in the future for HT, so I would like to keep my two channel amp in one chasis.  I'm thinking Stratos dual mono extreme.  Let Kraus do what he can in one chasis.  Any idea what a new one would cost?

Oh yeah, and have the light changed to green as well.  That would be too cool! :0)

You'll have to talk to Klaus on price, Its not listed on his website because I think its more of a special order item. And good luck changing the light to green. Klaus Likes his blue lights!  :lol:

dangerbird

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2006, 03:08 pm »
I owned a 350a(not the reference) and then picked up a stratos extreme with the 180000 cap upgrade and the dual trannies,after listening to both I ended up selling the belles. The stratos seemed to have more control and quickness about it, more of a "presence" than the belles. I'm very satisfied with the stratos and have a pair of mono extremes on the way. Just my .02 worth.

Lkdog

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2006, 09:31 pm »
Hey Jack-

I think I told you I ended up getting the Stratos Plus you sold me upgraded to the Dual Mono (still waiting on it as Klaus is pretty busy these days).
You can see the specs on the Mexico website.
It is my understanding that one enclosure cannot handle the upgrading of the one case Dual Monos to the Mono Extreme upgrade due to space constraints.
The Mono Extreme upgrade can only be done with two separate monoblock chassis.

Now the Stratos Plus can be upgraded to a Stratos Stereo Extreme, or a Dual mono and stay in one case.
Like I said- ended up going the Dual Mono route with two power supplies/two power cords, etc-exactly the same specs as the standard
Monos in one case.

There is a Stratos Stereo Extreme (it appears) on AGon for a great price right now if it is a newer model upgrade.
The ad is a bit confusing as the specs are off that he lists.
Good Luck.

http://www.odysseyaudiomx.com/amplificadores.htm

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1170357113

Jack Dotson

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2006, 01:25 am »
I owned a 350a(not the reference) and then picked up a stratos extreme with the 180000 cap upgrade and the dual trannies,after listening to both I ended up selling the belles. The stratos seemed to have more control and quickness about it, more of a "presence" than the belles. I'm very satisfied with the stratos and have a pair of mono extremes on the way. Just my .02 worth.

What are you going to do with your old stereo extreme?  :drool:

Jack Dotson

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2006, 01:34 am »
Hey Jack-

I think I told you I ended up getting the Stratos Plus you sold me upgraded to the Dual Mono (still waiting on it as Klaus is pretty busy these days).
You can see the specs on the Mexico website.
It is my understanding that one enclosure cannot handle the upgrading of the one case Dual Monos to the Mono Extreme upgrade due to space constraints.
The Mono Extreme upgrade can only be done with two separate monoblock chassis.

Now the Stratos Plus can be upgraded to a Stratos Stereo Extreme, or a Dual mono and stay in one case.
Like I said- ended up going the Dual Mono route with two power supplies/two power cords, etc-exactly the same specs as the standard
Monos in one case.

There is a Stratos Stereo Extreme (it appears) on AGon for a great price right now if it is a newer model upgrade.
The ad is a bit confusing as the specs are off that he lists.
Good Luck.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1170357113

Hey Lkdog, there you are.  I've been waiting for you to get your amp to hear how you like it.  It sounded terrific before, I can only imagine how it will sound now.

I sent an email to the guy on AG asking to see a better picture of the crack on the glass.  He told me it was covered under warranty, so it's probably not that big of a deal.  However, he said he already had an offer at his full asking price (mabybe just a bit high with the cracked glass unless you could get the glas sent and replace yourself).  That was a couple of days ago, so I just gave him a shout to see if the guy backed out on him.

I would probably do like you and send it in to be modified to dual monos.  Since one case cannot be used to upgrade to the dual mono extremes, can the stereo exreme also be upgraded to the dual mono?

I would like to see a list that tells exactly what the differences are between these different options, it's kind of confusing.

Lkdog

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2006, 05:31 am »

Try this. C'mon-a guy from Texas has to speak a little Spanish.  :)
You can pretty much make out the specs here. It took me a bit to sort it all out.

Yes, I am sure anything in one case can be made into a Dual Mono.

Good luck. I am using a little older Parasound 800 II for now with the preamp
I picked up-an Audio Mirror PP1.
Pretty nice preamp. They are down in Houston.

Jack Dotson

« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2006, 12:00 am »
Took the plunge and bought a used Stratos Stereo extreme (Thanks for the lead Lkdog) and it should be back in my rig next week.  I'm now very familiar with the Belles so I'm anxious to see if the Odyssey sounds as good as I remember.

I'll let you guys know how they compare.

Know of anyone looking for a good deal on a nice Belles 350A Reference?  aa

chaz1

« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2006, 06:59 pm »
Took the plunge and bought a used Stratos Stereo extreme (Thanks for the lead Lkdog) and it should be back in my rig next week.  I'm now very familiar with the Belles so I'm anxious to see if the Odyssey sounds as good as I remember.

I'll let you guys know how they compare.

Know of anyone looking for a good deal on a nice Belles 350A Reference?  aa

It would be interesting to know your take on the two amps if you can do a side by side. These same amps are on my short list ecept im considering the monos extreme. Im also considering stepping up to the Moscode 401 but not sure i want to step that high. Im not sure if there is 3000 difference in sound quality of these amps. I've seen the 350 reference amps you can get used for around 2500 on agon. We all know the great bargains Klause has on his amps. Looking forward to your feedback.

Jack Dotson

« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2006, 10:05 pm »
Chaz1, I plan on doing some comparions and will post my thoughts.  I can tell you now that both amps have certainly earned their reputations and you have a very good short list.

Jack Dotson

« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2006, 02:59 am »
OK guys, I've had some time with both amps now and am here to report that you can't go wrong with either one.  Both are just absolutely fantastic amps, however, they are very different sounding for sure.  I'm not very good at putting in writing what I hear, but I'll do my best and hope it makes sense.

In my system the Stratos is more dynamic, has more punch, and better treble extension.  This is an extremely detailed and fast amp, but I never felt it was etched or shrill sounding.  Just very precise and accurate.  Mid range and treble were much more forward and prominent than the Belles.  The Stratos is just a very musical amp and I felt I could listen for hours without fatigue.  PRAT was about as good as it gets.  On the downside, I felt it sounded just a bit thin with some recordings and I prefer a little more bass volume.  Many will say it's just accurate, and they might be correct, but I'm just speaking of personal preferences here.

The Belles is a different animal all together.  I know you've probably read many times where a reviewer says a particular solid state amps sounds like tubes, but with the Belles it's true.  Except the Belles has detail, bass control and extension a tube amp could only hope to emulate.  The sound stage is wide and deep, much more so than the Odyssey.  It's hard to explain, but it's just a more realistic sounding amplifier in my system.  The Bass extension and control on this amp are as good as any I've ever heard.  I don't really have a critical thing to say about this amp and this is the first time I think I've ever said that.  It does run hot, but that's about it.

Best bang for the buck; Odyssey.  Best overall sound, Belles 350 Reference at 3x the cost of the Odyssey, but to me worth it.  BTW, a comparison between the Belles and the Mono Extremes would have been more fair and I'm sure more of a contest, but this is what I had and hopefully it will give you some insight.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #13 on: 29 Dec 2006, 03:08 am »
jack, you need to get a hold of belles 21a preamp with the auricap upgrade and put a pair of rca cleartops in it..........heaven.
marvin

« Last Edit: 6 Jul 2008, 03:10 pm by marvda1 »

chaz1

« Reply #14 on: 29 Dec 2006, 04:42 am »
This is good feed back Jack and your conclusion was right about what i expected. Sounds like you have a couple of nice amps on hand to enjoy. I will be visiting CES next week and hope to hear the belles being that they will be in several rooms there. Again good feedback!

lazydays

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jul 2008, 07:12 pm »
OK guys, I've had some time with both amps now and am here to report that you can't go wrong with either one.  Both are just absolutely fantastic amps, however, they are very different sounding for sure.  I'm not very good at putting in writing what I hear, but I'll do my best and hope it makes sense.

In my system the Stratos is more dynamic, has more punch, and better treble extension.  This is an extremely detailed and fast amp, but I never felt it was etched or shrill sounding.  Just very precise and accurate.  Mid range and treble were much more forward and prominent than the Belles.  The Stratos is just a very musical amp and I felt I could listen for hours without fatigue.  PRAT was about as good as it gets.  On the downside, I felt it sounded just a bit thin with some recordings and I prefer a little more bass volume.  Many will say it's just accurate, and they might be correct, but I'm just speaking of personal preferences here.

The Belles is a different animal all together.  I know you've probably read many times where a reviewer says a particular solid state amps sounds like tubes, but with the Belles it's true.  Except the Belles has detail, bass control and extension a tube amp could only hope to emulate.  The sound stage is wide and deep, much more so than the Odyssey.  It's hard to explain, but it's just a more realistic sounding amplifier in my system.  The Bass extension and control on this amp are as good as any I've ever heard.  I don't really have a critical thing to say about this amp and this is the first time I think I've ever said that.  It does run hot, but that's about it.

Best bang for the buck; Odyssey.  Best overall sound, Belles 350 Reference at 3x the cost of the Odyssey, but to me worth it.  BTW, a comparison between the Belles and the Mono Extremes would have been more fair and I'm sure more of a contest, but this is what I had and hopefully it will give you some insight.

I have no idea what the price tag is for the Belles amp, but from what I can gather one can own a pair of Mono SE's for a similar price. Trust me there is no compairson between the Stratos and the Mono SE's. They're just different animals, and I just can't see the Belles running with them. But if that's the case then go for the next upgrade, and hold onto your hat! There's that much of a difference. I've had the SE's and the new glass ceiling upgrade. Sound is much different and even better than before in just about everyway. You just can't seem to make them run out of steam, and are easilly the most controlled amps I've ever listened to. Maybe a very slight bit brighter (or better yet warmer) than the SE's with killer bass. But I think keyboards are really where these amps shine.
gary