Where to buy vinyl of all kinds on the web?

GregC

Re: Where to buy vinyl of all kinds on the web?
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jun 2009, 03:26 am »
We have a sticky already for Jazz LP's, but why not start one for ALL LP's (new or used) .

So, come on fella's, where on the worldwide web (or Mail Order) do you get your vinyl jollies?  aa

John,

Since you are in the bay area go check out Rasputins in SF or Berkeley.   Amoebe is also excellent in both locations. 

TheChairGuy

« Reply #21 on: 10 Jun 2009, 03:57 pm »
John,

Since you are in the bay area go check out Rasputins in SF or Berkeley.   Amoebe is also excellent in both locations.

I've been to both outfits...they don't thrill me (and they're not that close...crossing a lot of traffic in SF to get to them)

Mill Valley Music is only 6 miles away and north of me in a town called Novato is a timewarp of a place with a great proprietor called Watts Music.  Between them my vinyl needs are handled well :thumb:

There is also a place closer to me in SF in the North Beach area...can't remember the name...but they have a (cramped) basement full of albums ALL priced at $5.00 flat. Quite a trip in there, too...not for those with claustrophobia tho :wink:

Thx, John

Scottdazzle

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jun 2009, 06:32 pm »
I have always gotten good service from the Jazzloft, Soundstage Direct, Music Direct, and Acoustic Sounds.  They have in stock what they claim to have and know how to box records to survive the trip without warping. Better Records is good, too, but you have to be willing to pay a premium.

GregC

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jun 2009, 07:01 pm »
I have also had good luck with Newbury Comics (who also does a lot of business on ebay) www.newburycomics.com and The Record groove (http://record-groove.com/).

weirdo

« Reply #24 on: 21 Oct 2009, 09:34 pm »
Had very good dealings with Esoteric Sounds. Not a major LP selection but what they have is in very good condition and most of all, the record conditions were honestly described on the website.

kenreau

I wanted to mention to the AC gang a recent online retailer that is selling vinyl for really great prices.  The store is a Pacific NW region brick and mortar chain called "Fred Meyer".  It is a one-stop consumer goods and groceries store.  You may have seen news of a music ordering blunder they did about a year ago where someone ordered a bunch of vinyl releases (instead of seedee) and they actuall sold like crazy.  So now they carry vinyl.

I just bought the Nirvana ORG reissues at Everday Music (ripoff) for $28/ea. FM's regular price is $24.98 (the correct MSRP) but they are selling them for $18.49/ea. That is a smoking deal. Plus free shipping over $25?

I live in Portland(Orygun) and visit the stores regularly and never see them at these low prices.  Plus the brick and mortar stores inventory is usually very limited with usually left over "Back to Black" drek. I'm doing all my shopping on line now.

http://www.thestore24.com/Music/Dcs.aspx?Format=LP+Vinyl&dcs=1

Get them while they're hot.

Bear Heath

« Reply #26 on: 26 Dec 2009, 07:00 pm »

Check out Nonesuch.com for their artists.  If you order vinyl you also get an MP3 download to listen to while you want for the vinyl

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #27 on: 11 Jun 2010, 02:46 am »

drphoto

« Reply #28 on: 21 Jul 2010, 06:20 pm »
Found an excellent online seller. Jim's Cards, Books and Records in Newark.

Low prices and the three disk I got were spotless (he must be using a vac cleaner) Plus he had what I was looking for, which was early Lyle Lovett on vinyl.

Fast shipping too. Will purchase again from this vendor.  :thumb:

dB Cooper

« Reply #29 on: 21 Jul 2010, 06:52 pm »
www.gemm com networks thousands of member stores in their database; create an account and you don't have to give out your cc # every time. My favorite site to shop for vinyl.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #30 on: 20 Jan 2011, 02:57 pm »
I will say local Craig's List one more time.  Last night I picked up over 450 records for $150 cash.  100 mostly pristine boxed sets of Opera and classical music and 200 classical music LPs thrown in.  It's a large part of one man's collection that began in the late 50s to 1980.  He wrote the time and place of purchase inside each box cover.  There are a lot of unusual recordings in this collection which is perfect for me since I already have lots of the usual recordings.  Now I have to physically expand my Opera library somehow.  :duh:

hifitommy

vinyl on the web
« Reply #31 on: 4 Jul 2011, 04:34 pm »
two places that havent been mentioned as yet are amoeba records and records by mail.

http://www.recordsbymail.com/

http://www.amoeba.com/music-mail-order/index.html

i have used records by mail and the service is exemplary.  amoeba is local to me in hollywood, not too far from home and it can be on my way home so i have never used the mail order service.  i expect it would be good though.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #32 on: 10 Mar 2012, 02:32 am »
Bump to include SoundStageDirect who offers free shipping for purchases over $30, I've read.  Really nice packaging and customer service.  They offer vinyl product, too.

DaveyW

« Reply #33 on: 10 Mar 2012, 07:19 am »
Thanks for the Bump Jim - I'd forgotten about this thread.

Just had a read through and surprised no one has yet mentioned DISCOGS

Got to admit I typically target original as opposed to new pressings and this for me, is by far the best resource I've used and is now my turn to site for vinyl purchases.

Gradings on the whole are reliable, the sellers are typically small-medium scale businesses with a reputation to maintain via a feedback system similar to eBay.

It offers a Want List Feature.
Once you've added the specific pressings to this list you can then search to see who has them, also as new discs become available that are on your list you get a PM letting you know.

It also identifies vendors listed in order of the number of your want list items they have for sale.

Another good feature is that it will give you data on how much a particular pressing has sold for (max and min) so you can get a flavour of what you can expect to pay.

What I typically do is wait for a want list item to pop up in my inbox, if it looks like a fair price check the vendor's feedback - if OK I go on to see what else they have, build up an order of 5-10 discs to optimise P&P.

Works really well, as I say, particularly if you prefer original copies or older re-releases as opposed to new pressings.

Issues?
Well the only problems I have has been either, new vendors not realising that there's more than one pressing and advertising the wrong one or, the odd disc where the grading was obviously incorrect.
In all cases this has been very amicably resolved via brief email contact.

The main problem though is it's just far to easy to spend lots and lots of money on vinyl recommended by the regular posters in the "What have you listened to recently thread?"  :D

Cheers
Dave

decal

« Reply #34 on: 10 Mar 2012, 12:08 pm »

orthobiz

« Reply #35 on: 10 Mar 2012, 12:48 pm »
Popmarket . Com

hifitommy

on the web?
« Reply #36 on: 7 Jul 2012, 04:07 pm »
now and again its good to check amazon.com for new vinyl, just search the artist, title, and add LP or vinyl at the end and sometimes you'll be surprised at the price.

nascar03

« Reply #37 on: 17 Feb 2013, 01:26 am »
PopMarket  http://www.popmarket.com/.
I just received Metallica on vinyl......free shipping...
Great service, quality product.
Graham

zerodecibels

« Reply #38 on: 19 Feb 2013, 08:09 pm »
Is there a crash course or thread here that talks about the basics of record quality and how to recognize it? Thanks!

orthobiz

« Reply #39 on: 22 Feb 2013, 03:11 am »
Is there a crash course or thread here that talks about the basics of record quality and how to recognize it? Thanks!

Not really. New vinyl can be hit and miss. Sometimes we write about individual records and our experiences with it. For instance, the Rhino release of The Yes Album was so bad I had to ask my daughter for the well-worn copy I gave her when my "new" record arrived. Absolutely lifeless.

The Elvis Costello MoFi releases are phenomenal. The 45 rpm Doors releases are great, too. A few of us wrote about how good the Nick Drake Pink Moon box was. Roscoeiii turned me on to Black Moth Super Rainbow but I bought the picture disk on eBay  during the 10 minutes he posted that the BLACK vinyl version was the one to have. And it sure is different, the conventional vinyl is way better (so my daughter got the picture disk...).

I check analog planet for Fremer's reviews. Tone publications reviews records as well. You can post and ask!

Paul