Sent amp to Odyssey four months ago, haven't heard back

ClaytonJ2

Hello,

Kinda a long story, so will condense.  I got an amp that I thought was an Odyssey, but it would up being a knock off.  Klaus said he'd rebuild it with new guts for $500, so I sent him the amp back in August.  Had brief phone conversation and a few emails before shipping the amp, but I haven't heard anything since.  I've tried calling and emailing, but no luck getting in touch with him.  Something happen?  Any advice for how to get in touch?

Thanks,
Clayton

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: Sent amp to Odyssey four months ago, haven't heard back
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2015, 06:51 pm »
It is the holiday season, so he may be out for a spell. Pretty sure you are in good safe hands with Klaus...

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2015, 07:51 pm »

And yes, we are hyper busy, and yes, there are , unfortunately, priorities, and yes, the amp is a copy, and yes, I did agree to upgrade and work on it pretty close to cost to do a favor, and yes, call me as you will get a hold of me, especially in the evenings

Norman Tracy

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2015, 09:39 pm »
And again we are shown, no good deed goes unpunished.

Shouldn't this thread's title be changed to:
  "Sent non Odyssey amp to Odyssey four months ago asking a big favor to cover my lack of due diligence, haven't heard back"

Klaus, sorry to hear some scum(s) are knocking off your designs. Why not get a cup of your favorite beverage take a break and call Nelson Pass and compare stories. You can start with counterfeiters then end on a positive note about what it feels like to be awarded Best Of by The Absolute Sound.

The thing I don't get is Klaus' gear is so high value and inexpensive why not just get it new factory fresh with the latest parts and tweaks?

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2015, 09:55 pm »
Klaus you're too nice. But perhaps from now on it's easy to preclude such favors with not taking priority.

I mean, the reality is you dug your own damn hole by winning awards left and right, so there's no one to blame but yourself for being so busy :lol: .

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2015, 10:01 pm »
I'd like to see pics of the knockoff so we all know what NOT to buy. I'm sure there are more of them out there.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2015, 10:04 pm »
I'd like to see pics of the knockoff so we all know what NOT to buy. I'm sure there are more of them out there.

GOOD idea.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2015, 10:16 pm »
Moot point...ODL amps from people that I shouldn't have trusted in 1999 !!!!!!!  Talk about a 1980's Mustang vs. a 2016 Shelby GT....
and actually,  on about half of these amps were already upgraded and spec'd out with fresh new warranties and correct parts........
Some people didn't know that they got unauthorized units, and it wasn't their fault, so of course I took care of them... on the other hand I'm sure that some did and ddin't care about my situation,  but at this point, 17 years later,  so what ???  Back then though it was more like "go fcuk yourself".......

md92468

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2015, 11:21 pm »
To the industry participants who reacted negatively to this post...Yes, Klaus is a great guy, and he most certainly has earned his reputation as a standup business person who delivers a wonderful product and service at a great price. But if we assume this poster is telling the truth and did reach out on multiple occasions to contact him with no luck, what is he, as a customer, supposed to do? In no way does he disparage Klaus' name in the original post above...he's simply looking for a way to reach him from people who might know something he doesn't.

Yes, it is reasonable that this "fix up" job should not be a priority for Klaus, and it is certainly a kind gesture on his part to accept the work. I think the poster (Clayton) himself understood and would admit to these points. But once Klaus accepted the job, the customer should be treated like anyone else.

A customer – any customer, whether they spend $100 or $10,000 – has a right to be frustrated with the crickets Clayton allegedly received (assuming, again, that he's telling the truth). I say this as a business owner for more than 20 years; if one of my customers took to the boards with this kind of question – in the tone it was asked, for the reasons it was asked – I would completely understand it. Ironically it appears that Klaus is the one "industry participant" who seems to understand this, judging by his measured response in this thread.

Not every poster who asks a genuine question in frustration on a message board is ungrateful and unreasonable; let's not paint them all with a "you have no idea what it's like to run a business" brush. Sometimes you, as a business owner, are not the victim. Sometimes you drop the ball and should be accountable for it. 

Davey

« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2015, 12:06 am »
md92468,

+1.  Very well put.

Dave.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2015, 12:11 am »
+2

Well said.

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2015, 01:06 am »
Not many people would take care of this - hats off to Klaus and Odyssey for going above the beyond.

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2015, 01:11 am »
 :thumb: :thumb:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #13 on: 22 Dec 2015, 01:46 am »
Who else would do this?
Way to go Klaus..

Folsom

« Reply #14 on: 22 Dec 2015, 01:58 am »
md92468, Klaus is doing right, but as I mentioned no matter whom on what priority points, it's important to communicate. When I make a custom piece I tell them, sure it could be made in say 1.5 months under perfect circumstances but I also need you to accept it could take 4 months. Also I don't have control if I can't get parts, but I will inform you of the situation.

Even if Klaus is doing a generous favor, communication must happen. It's important for the person taking on the responsibility not to make consistent bad estimations on time lines. So don't think some of us are giving a free pass to do such generous favors that communication isn't important. We buy products and have work done on things, and we need to have communication too.

ClaytonJ2

« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec 2015, 03:55 am »
Had a nice chat with Klaus this evening.  My speakers are Martin Logan Monolith III's and the amp is for the panels.  He's going to do something purpose built for those.  I didn't understand all the words he used, so I won't try to describe exactly what I'm getting. Perhaps he can reply with that info?

ETA is late January and I now know how to get in touch with him.

Thanks folks!
Clayton

JackD

« Reply #16 on: 22 Dec 2015, 04:24 am »
Clayton

You are working with one of the finest people in the Industry. I have known him for over 15 years and during the time of the ODAV fiasco. He is a man of his word. He will take care of you in the fairest way he knows how, you just need to be patient.  What you sent him to work on and what you get back will have nothing in common except the case. Your ML's will be happy.

AGS

« Reply #17 on: 22 Dec 2015, 12:23 pm »
No doubt Klaus is the best audio professional that I have worked with in over 30 years.  Quite honestly, I don't know how he does it all.  Actually I do... He works very hard and does his very best for his customers.  I have referred several friends who were amazed at the service and support from Klaus and team. Merry Christmas Klaus!
Al

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #18 on: 22 Dec 2015, 01:34 pm »

The thing I don't get is Klaus' gear is so high value and inexpensive why not just get it new factory fresh with the latest parts and tweaks?

+1, Amen, and rock on ... or something.

And Happy Holidays!

Chops

« Reply #19 on: 23 Dec 2015, 05:52 pm »
Moot point...ODL amps from people that I shouldn't have trusted in 1999 !!!!!!!  Talk about a 1980's Mustang vs. a 2016 Shelby GT....
and actually,  on about half of these amps were already upgraded and spec'd out with fresh new warranties and correct parts........
Some people didn't know that they got unauthorized units, and it wasn't their fault, so of course I took care of them... on the other hand I'm sure that some did and ddin't care about my situation,  but at this point, 17 years later,  so what ???  Back then though it was more like "go fcuk yourself".......

I just busted out laughing when I read that last sentence. LOL  I swear, I feel like Klaus and I are from the same fabric. Haha  :thumb: