I have $7000 to spend, put together a tube amp and preamp for me

JackD

I agree with Larry on the BHK 250 as I own one and it will drive anything and you can tailor the sound a bit by changing the input tubes.  As to the Audiogon ad though there are several dealers where you should be able to get it cheaper than that brand new. 

twitch54

Wow...... you had to ask ? ....

Rouge Audio

Delta77

Decware - SE84UFO25  $3,300  (amp). no preamp needed.
Decware - ZTPRE $3,000  (preamp).  For remote volume, multiple sources..

Add 95db + speakers
Omega - $3,000 - $5,000
Tekton - $1,000 - $3,300 (D.I.’s)
Decware- $1,000 - $5,000
Volti - $8,000
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2018, 03:49 am by Delta77 »

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Will2 pointed out the Vinnie Rossi LIO, I am selling one for a friend's wife who recently passed away. I would highly recommend this integrated depending on what speakers you have. It has all the bells and whistles and at a very good price. If you are running speakers that need a lot of power or have a really big room I would look at something else. But if you don't need a ton of power it will be hard to beat the LIO at $6990.00. If you are interested take a look at the add here on AC.

Good luck in your search and have fun!

Greg

PicknPop

I don't like most tube stereo amps as they can sound congested, so I would go with a ModWright LS 100 and VAS Citation-2 Mono Block Power Amplifiers.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
Get a van Alstine FET Valve CFR preamp ($2,200) and FET Valve 600R amp ($3,200).

Howdy,

You know, I posted a somewhat similar question on here a bit ago, but I think I might have a different way to get the information I crave. If I have $7k to spend on an amp-preamp/linestage setup, what should I get?

Tubeburner

I don't like most tube stereo amps as they can sound congested
:duh:

Obviously,  PicknPop, you have owned very poor tube amps.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Maybe was something related to his speakers or amp/speaker synergy mismatch.

geowak

I like Line Magnetic Audio. The LM-845 Premium is an integrated that would be a powerful tube option. I have the LM-216ia and it has the tube sweetness sound.

mhconley

Quicksilver Audio Remote Control Line Stage Preamplifier ($1595) and a pair of Mono 120 monoblocks ($3995/$4395) should give you the power to drive anything.

Martin

twitch54

:duh:

Obviously,  PicknPop, you have owned very poor tube amps.

agreed, I was thinking the same thing .......

OzarkTom

Not the greatest looking, but for $1200, possibly one of the best deals in the audio world. Tommy's DAC STM int., not tube, but will compete. My buddy Rex sold his $7K LIO after putting this in his system. The STM had more detail and bigger soundstage. Rex has owned many tube amps the last 40 years plus. But if you get one, ask Tommy about his 36v PSU. Quite a bit better than the 48v PSU. I have never heard bass this good out of a tube amp, and I have owned many tube amps the last 40+ years.

https://www.cherryamp.com/stereo-maraschino-stm

brucemarnold

Wow.. these are some GREAT replies, everyone! I appreciate the responses and the passions behind them. I can tell you guys really think about this stuff.. and now have given me a lot to think about, too..

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Have we learned what speakers you have?

Norman Tracy

The answer is Raven Audio.

The Avian Series https://www.ravenaudio.com/Raven-Audio-Avian-Series_c_8.html

Or for something out of the ordainary that is like a little jewel, the Goldfinch https://www.ravenaudio.com/Goldfinch-Tabletop-System_p_24.html

A_shah

QuickSilver Integrated 20 watts per channel 2K pure Tube Bliss although a Push Pull design sounds as good as a SET amp very low noise floor !

Sounds very Liquid , realism in voices I have been playing with this for the last two months use KK cables and Kef LS 50

2. Roger Modjeski RM 200- Hybrid 100 watts per Channel I believe around 4K or his RM 10 I guess that is 17 watts per channel

brucemarnold

Wow...... you had to ask ? ....

Rouge Audio

Many people state that Rogue doesn't sound particularly lush/tube-y. In fact, my original idea was to go with an ST-100, but that seems to be downvoted as being too neutral.

brucemarnold

Have we learned what speakers you have?

See original post.

brucemarnold

QuickSilver Integrated 20 watts per channel 2K pure Tube Bliss although a Push Pull design sounds as good as a SET amp very low noise floor !

Sounds very Liquid , realism in voices I have been playing with this for the last two months use KK cables and Kef LS 50

2. Roger Modjeski RM 200- Hybrid 100 watts per Channel I believe around 4K or his RM 10 I guess that is 17 watts per channel

I'm surprised that such a low-wattage amp gets such high praise, but if it works, it works.. .

brucemarnold

Quicksilver Audio Remote Control Line Stage Preamplifier ($1595) and a pair of Mono 120 monoblocks ($3995/$4395) should give you the power to drive anything.

Martin

Lush/tube-y sound or more neutral, tho?