Considering M4: Experience with PS Audio M700 or Benchmark AHB2?

AllanS

Greetings.  I'm close to pulling the trigger on the M4 so need to finish up the amplifier short list and would appreciate learning from your experiences.
I'm open to suggestions but would especially appreciate anyone's experience with PS Audio M700 or Benchmark AHB2.
I'm interested in the M700 because it's well reviewed and regarded and I've been sipping on the PS Audio Kool-Aid for awhile.
The Benchmark AHB2 wasn't on the list until it was recommended to me by Spatial earlier in the week.  Since then I've become very intrigued but I'm not finding a lot of user reviews, especially Spatial users.
I like the idea of a tube preamp but would rather stick to SS power amps.  Regardless of the amp I'll most likely land on a Schiit Freya+ preamp.
Based on comments here I'll look closer at Cherry.  I currently have a Ragnarok 2 and love Schiit's stuff.  I considered the Aegir but need enough head room to run fairly inefficient speakers.
Thanks much!

abomwell

I used the Benchmark AHB2 in a bi-amped configuration on a pair of Morrison omnidirectional speakers. The amp is dead quiet. Its measurements are state of the art and will offer plenty of headroom with Spatial's. I'm seriously considering them for my X5's. To my ears they were absolutely transparent to the source, not adding or subtracting anything. They are usually sold used around $2,200-$2,400.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
PS Audio is a consumer based company, Benchmark is a professional based company - big plus for Benchmark.  Paul McGown will retire someday and don't know what will happen to PS Audio.  Owned a DirectStream Junior, service was very good, but they've gone into some odd directions in recent years, is run like Paul's pet hobby. 

Trialed a Freya with nice NOS tubes in every possible configuration and didn't notice any change/improvement, even swapped the stock tubes back in.  Blew one of the NOS tubes before sending it back.  A tube preamp acts as a buffer to color the sound and change imaging, making everything that same color/image.  Is that what you want?

schw06

AHB2 is a fantastic amplifier. It is dead quiet, has very little sonic signature, is almost as efficient and lightweight as a class D amp, fits in your hand or on an ikea shelf, has adjustable gain to pair with any balanced preamp you want. It's a piece that can satisfy the "measurements are everything" crowd and the "measurements be damned if it doesn't sound great" crowd. Only negatives are it's lack of bling factor and the piercing red light that you will likely want to cover.
David

Rthomeint

I own a pair of M700s. I used them for about 3 years. With Marin Logan Electro motion speakers. The amps are very detailed without becoming fatiguing. I could listen for hours. I was running tube amp before that a found I didn’t miss the tube sound. I have no experience with benchmark products so I can’t share an opinion. The one think about PS audio is you get a 30 in home trial.

AllanS

Many thanks all.  I appreciate your comments.

A tube preamp acts as a buffer to color the sound and change imaging, making everything that same color/image.  Is that what you want?

Thank you for the question.  I'm going to say yes - more so imaging/sound stage and only preamp - but I can't be sure till I've heard what it does.  That's one of the pluses I think of the Freya+, being able to bypass the tube stage.  But I've only ever had SS integrated stuff.  Honestly until fairly recently different amp types didn't even register.  They either had tubes or didn't.  I chose an AVR a few years ago because it ran cool and not knowing that it's a D class amp. It's all good but it wasn't a well informed decision.

WGH

I have heard the early Spatial speakers but not the current models. My impression is either the Benchmark or PS Audio M700 would be total overkill.

Benchmark amps have always left me cool, I have heard them in a couple of systems. Joseph Audio was using a Benchmark amp with their Perspective2 speaker at a past RMAF, the sound was clean but I have heard those speakers sound better than this.

I had a pair of the PS Audio M1200 amps on loan so I poked around the internet to see if the M700 sounds the same and if they use the same Class D modules. There are a few comparisons between the two amps and the consensus is the M1200 sound better. Search for "difference between psaudio m700 and m1200"

"The chosen [M1200] Class D power module is an upgrade over the M700, using ICEpower's latest 'Edge' circuit design to enable a more predictable response/distortion behavior regardless of loudspeaker load.
https://www.hifinews.com/content/ps-audio-stellar-m1200-mono-power-amplifier

Here is my review of the M1200, it's all about synergy
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176173.msg1856501#msg1856501

AllanS

I had a pair of the PS Audio M1200 amps on loan so I poked around the internet to see if the M700 sounds the same and if they use the same Class D modules. There are a few comparisons between the two amps and the consensus is the M1200 sound better. Search for "difference between psaudio m700 and m1200"

"The chosen [M1200] Class D power module is an upgrade over the M700, using ICEpower's latest 'Edge' circuit design to enable a more predictable response/distortion behavior regardless of loudspeaker load.
https://www.hifinews.com/content/ps-audio-stellar-m1200-mono-power-amplifier

Here is my review of the M1200, it's all about synergy
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176173.msg1856501#msg1856501

Thank you.  I'd read independent review of both M700 and M1200 but none that offered any direct comparison such as the the HiFi News.  Your impressions are very helpful.  That short list I'm working on is getting a work out for sure.

bakufu

my amplifier zoo is already bursting at the seams, but if i were in the market for either a SS amp or preamp my first choice would be the instruments from benchmark.  i have and love their 3B dac, and both of my systems use only benchmark cabling.  as JLM indicates, benchmark is a technology-driven company.  their success hinges on how well their equipment works in the field.  good to hear that they have clayton's recommendation.