Aural Enlightenment III - Especiale Pics are up!

Big Red Machine

Re: Aural Enlightenment III - Especiale
« Reply #20 on: 6 Sep 2016, 01:04 am »
I'm much farther along right now. Just catching you up on all the work so far. I might be done in 3 or 4 weekends from now. One is destroyed with a trip.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #21 on: 6 Sep 2016, 01:09 am »
Pete,

Nice progress, thanks for the pics.

Are you going to use RSIC clips? Furring hat channels? Single row of studs? Or double row of studs with space between the rows of studs?

How many doors are there entering the room?

How big is the room (when all is said and done) ?

Best,
Anand.

3 walls are concrete. One is part basement storage and bsmt family/HT room next door. Single studs for concrete walls, mass loaded vinyl, hat channel, double drywall, greenglue, etc.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #22 on: 6 Sep 2016, 01:12 am »
MLV on ceiling, wrapped around beam (notice both posts are gone/relocated), seams overlapped and taped.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #23 on: 6 Sep 2016, 01:14 am »
MLV is a real pain and expensive.

Hat channel came next.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #24 on: 6 Sep 2016, 01:16 am »
Wow. My back hurts for you.

Best,
Anand.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #25 on: 6 Sep 2016, 01:17 am »
You can see the green tape added to the hat channel.

No cans cut into the MLV anywhere.

Darn water meter chirps when water is used. So I am trying to make a bass trap out of it!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #26 on: 6 Sep 2016, 01:18 am »
Wow. My back hurts for you.

Best,
Anand.

I bought a drywall lift.  :D

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #27 on: 6 Sep 2016, 01:38 am »
Good progress.

The entire perimeter of my ceiling is a bass trap. Works great! Even then, nearly all the corners have bass traps, while everything else is diffusion! Remember the fiberglass behind the drywall and the drywall itself act as a limp membrane trap that helps with bass absorption less than 100 Hz.

Best,
Anand.

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 6 Sep 2016, 07:12 am »
Nice pictorial!  I can't wait to see the finished product. :)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #29 on: 6 Sep 2016, 10:52 am »

How many doors are there entering the room?

How big is the room (when all is said and done) ?

Best,
Anand.

I added a second one for convenience in the back to the storage area. Didn't have to but thought it made sense down the road to have. It is an exterior insulated steel door that will get some additional deadening treatments.

Room started out at 16 wide, approx 20 deep, 8 high. Surprisingly the Bob Gold's calculator comes out better than expected when you see all the broad multiples of 4 here. When you plug in the actual values it has very few overlaps.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #30 on: 7 Sep 2016, 03:41 am »
Just realize that every door is a leak. I have only 1 spot  for entering/exiting the room. It is a composition of 2 external solid core type doors, the first opens and you hit another, then you have to open the second door before sealing/closing the 1st door. It substantially reduces noise from the inside or outside from passing through. The doors are also additionally mass loaded and between the 1st and 2nd door I have an older set of GIK 244's hanging for even more noise attenuation. Door seals are everywhere.

Sound proofing is kind of like building an aquarium. The smallest crack and the water will spill through. Just like sound will. Seal all the cracks!

Best,
Anand.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #31 on: 7 Sep 2016, 10:57 pm »
I laid the flooring over the rigid plywood pieces and then cut the outline of the plywood into the flooring. Then we glued the flooring directly to the plywood so it was solid under the speakers and the rest stayed floating over the OSB.

We taped the pieces and flipped them over to apply glue, then flipped them back down to set.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #32 on: 8 Sep 2016, 01:00 pm »
Visitors on the front yard:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #33 on: 8 Sep 2016, 01:03 pm »
In my searching for a nice choice of wire to use I discovered that the Handi-wire of old was preferred by many audiophools for its copper content. It was easy to find on Ebay and I grabbed 10/3 so I could have the option of side by side but separate circuits anytime I chose.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #34 on: 8 Sep 2016, 01:05 pm »
Can you say badass bass trap?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #35 on: 8 Sep 2016, 01:07 pm »
What's this partial view of something wicked to come? Hint; not a bass trap.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #36 on: 8 Sep 2016, 04:58 pm »
I probably wasn't clear on the composition of the ceiling:

From the inside upward---

1/2" drywall
green glue
1/2" drywall
Integrity gasket (green foam tape)
hat channel
RISC clips
MLV
Safe 'n Sound insulation
Floor above

The walls are 5/8" with Safe 'N Sound or OC pink in the cavities with 1.5" pink foam behind that glued to the concrete.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #37 on: 8 Sep 2016, 07:13 pm »
Looks like you are doing it up right BRM, I look forward to seeing the finished product. I took an old 600 sq. ft. free standing garage last year and turned it into an audio room/ guest house. One wall is a double wall with separated studs, the other 3 are hat channel and 5/8" drywall. Blown in very dense insulation behind that. Then I used double pane windows with dissimilar glass, just one door into the building. I used a cheap home depot metal door with foam core. I can turn the music up extremely loud, go outside and barely hear a thing. The one place the sound comes out is the door. It's still pretty good but nothing like walking around the rest of the building. The really nice thing is it's dead quite in the room which is nice byproduct of all I did.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #38 on: 11 Sep 2016, 01:06 pm »
Math. Whatcha gonna do, can't escape it!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #39 on: 11 Sep 2016, 01:12 pm »
As I mentioned before, lots of screwing around is still the order of the day.

Here's another teaser of an inspirational piece I found on the web. If it comes off as planned it will be very cool. Three pieces and they are NOT bass traps.