Wow-Hot Box!

Kim S.

Wow-Hot Box!
« on: 1 Feb 2004, 12:57 pm »
This is more of a first impression rather that a formal review.  The results so far have been too dramatic not share.  This weekend I received the "Hot Box"  made by Chris VenHaus.  I had ordered it with the auricap option to aid in my undeclared war on RFI/EMI power line contamination. The unit itself looks very DIY, a standard metal utility box with two outlets attached to a short and thick power cord.  I immediately opened it to get an idea of the wiring scheme.  Inside was very close quarters and I didn't want to disturb things.  However I did notice that the 4 auricaps were wired paralell, two to each outlet. I plugged it in to the amp side of my system right before a high current Ultimate Outlet.  The amp is plugged into the Ultimate Outlet.

The first song I listened to was  "Call Mr. Lee" by Television.  This is not one of my "reference" songs.  I had just rediscovered it after a long time and my wife and I had just remarked how good it sounded when  we played it the day before.  The first adjective that came to mind when listening was "holographic".  Sound stage much deeper and wider.  My speakers are VMPS RM2's.  Great speakers, but like alot of large wide speakers don't particulary "image" well.  Hearing what they could do with this song was a revelation.  The midrange and upper sounded alot clearer.  Tom Verlaines guitar never sounded as real to me.

My next CD was a "reference", "Guitar Passion" by Charo.  Her spanish guitar is great test of the midrange.  My wife and I both heard more detail.  For lack of a better discription every just sounded clearer.

My third reference song was "Time Has Come Today" by the Chambers Brother.  This song is a good test of guitar bass and the "tick tocks" also show off stereo imaging.  I also like to play it loud to annoy my wife!  Anyway the effect of the Hot Box can be heard here also.  The bass seem slightly recessed from before.  This may be because the Hot Box has not broken in yet.  It was not a big difference, but noticeable.  The main difference is an improvement in the midrange detail.  I heard grunts from the singer I didn't even know were there before!

In short this is one of the more dramatic tweaks I have done.  The Ultimate Outlet did improve things.  I have also shielded my amp and digital components against RFI.  All my components have expensive aftermarket power cords.  I use quietline filters on my other outlets. All of these things have noticeably improved the sound.  I didn't think that there was much room for improvement but I was wrong.  I don't know how much of this is system dependent, but I would recommend looking into the Hot Box with the Auricap option for power line conditioning.

Tonto Yoder

Wow-Hot Box!
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2004, 12:51 pm »
Off-topic:   Charo????
It's hard not to laugh when someone mentions Charo, since her "fame" rests more on her clownish television/talk show/Love Boat persona than any musical abilities.  But I've seen the Charo CD mentioned by other serious audiophiles.  Is it strictly instrumental?? Or does she sing??  Anyone you could compare it to style-wise??

Kim S.

Wow-Hot Box!
« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2004, 04:34 pm »
She sings on several songs.  About half of the songs on this particular CD are instrumental.  The songs she sings on are in Spanish and very lush sounding.  She is a fine guitar player.  I really like the CD and I am not in general a fan of latin music.

Kim S.

Wow-Hot Box!
« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2004, 04:40 pm »
I just read the last part of your question.  Her style is more in the classical flamenco genre.  About the only person who comes to mind is Andre Sigovia.  Charo I think is a little more pop oriented.

maxwalrath

Wow-Hot Box!
« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2004, 04:47 pm »
Kim, could you point me in the direction of a website for the product? Thanks.

Kim S.

Wow-Hot Box!
« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2004, 05:42 pm »
He has two web sites.  One is www.venhaus1.com.  The other is www.vhaudio.com.  The later is a new site under construction but I think you can order from either site.  The first site had some neat DIY cable recipes I plan to try.

BeeBop

Wow-Hot Box!
« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2004, 05:56 pm »
Yes actually Charo started out as a guitarist. That's what first got her on the stage. Then she played one of the late night talk shows (think it was Carson) and her personality sort of made her a different sort of star. She is a very well qualified guitarist.

Occam

Waay off topic!!!!
« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2004, 12:09 am »
Bebop,

Fantastic 'helmet' on your cat! Is it a piece of fruit?, curious minds demand to know.  It is a truly inspiring picture.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Wow-Hot Box!
« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2004, 06:42 am »
Quote from: Kim S.
He has two web sites.  One is www.venhaus1.com.  The other is www.vhaudio.com.  The later is a new site under construction but I think you can order from either site.  The first site had some neat DIY cable recipes I plan to try.
     Chris VenHaus is one of the only power cord makers that I know of that no only shows you how he makes his cables but encourages you to study his designs to find the "flavor" that best works for your component. There's no secrets here as he also sells all the parts needed to make them yourself. I have no problem recommending Chris's products, I have all 4 flavor power cords in my system. :D Regards, Robin

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Waay off topic!!!!
« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2004, 08:44 am »
Quote from: Occam
Bebop,

Fantastic 'helmet' on your cat! Is it a piece of fruit?, curious minds demand to know.  It is a truly inspiring picture.
That's a smart cat...winters in Canada can get very cold...nothing like a little helmet to take the chill off !! :lol: Here's your answer to your question http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=6849.msg59332#59332

satfrat

• Restricted
Re: Waay off topic!!!!
« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2004, 08:50 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
That's a smart cat...winters in Canada can get very cold...nothing like a little hemet to take the chill off !! :lol:
                            hemet + shemet= chill off,,,,,, that about right Wolfy?     :rotflmao:     Regards, Robin

lonewolfny42

Wow-Hot Box!
« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2004, 08:57 am »
Robin , I have edited my post. :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
Wow-Hot Box!
« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2004, 09:06 am »
Christy, I have not. It's there for the ages my friend. :D Regards, Robin

lonewolfny42

Wow-Hot Box!
« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2004, 09:10 am »
Well, the topic is a HotBox.  8)

satfrat

• Restricted
Wow-Hot Box!
« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2004, 09:20 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Well, the topic is a HotBox.  8)
        Well in that case, I would suggest to Beebop that he get a chinstrap for his cat's hat! :tempted: Regards, Robin