DaveC's Best of RMAF 2019: AlsyVox and Omega

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
DaveC's Best of RMAF 2019: AlsyVox and Omega
« on: 9 Sep 2019, 07:18 pm »
Congrats to AlsyVox and Omega for setting up the best system at RMAF 2019!

I listened to this system for at least an hour Saturday and Sunday, some recordings were incredibly lifelike. We've all heard those moments of realism from excellent systems from time to time... this system does this consistently, and not just with some instruments, it does this with vocals, with string instruments, with drums, etc.

In the beginning, I had my doubts these speakers could do bass and dynamics, but then they'd play a demo track that did just that.  Stand up bass was awesome. Large drums were convincing. WOW.

This being an audio show it wasn't perfect, the room was too big for the speaker's bass output, they probably weren't flat down to 20 Hz but I asked their designer, Daniele about the bass and he said in a large room it's probably be 6 dB down at 22 Hz, and in a smaller room can achieve a flat response down to 22 Hz. The room was also far too live and it took a couple of tracks for my brain to separate out the room's contribution from the recording. To be fair the room is so large that absorption would have required a much larger stack of fiberglass panels than is reasonable to expect for an audio show, and despite the room's annoying long decay times the music was still amazing. Also, people talk too much inside the room... it's hard to avoid, I know.

I want to thank Daniele and his colleagues for setting this system up and giving RMAF attendees an opportunity to experience it! It's one of the best systems I've heard and this isn't something I expected at an audio show where conditions don't lend themselves to acoustic excellence. And I understand with a better room and more dialed setup it can get even better!

AvsFan

Re: DaveC's Best of RMAF 2019: AlsyVox and Omega
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2019, 10:24 pm »
You couldn't have said it better. This room by a VERY wide margin was the BEST room at the show. I wonder if we were in the room at the same time on Saturday. Probably not but I too was in there for over an hour. I couldn't move. Other than playing musical chairs to get the front seat. I have listened to a lot of speakers and been to many RMAF shows. This speaker stands out over all of them. The way the music was delivered was incredible. Jaw dropping! The Alsyvox guys were looking at me with big smiles on their faces when I was at the front seat listening. They knew what was going through my mind. I spoke to Jean Pierre for a bit, real nice guy and he was telling me about what made them so special. Of course a lot of it flew right over my head but I told him that his speakers gave me goosebumps. That room ruined the rest of the show for me. 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2019, 11:04 pm »
I just looked up the price, $87,000 for the pair.
Maybe next year.

OzarkTom

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2019, 11:36 pm »
Smaller pair only $68K.

TINTORETTO

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2019, 12:46 am »
Well, in that case the answer is still no.

They sound like the kind of speakers I don't want to hear as once heard you're done.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2019, 01:17 am »
Well, in that case the answer is still no.

They sound like the kind of speakers I don't want to hear as once heard you're done.

Actually, as good as they were, I'd still pick my speakers even if the price were not a factor.  Don't get me wrong, the AlysVox were amazing, but there are others that definitely compete.  Of course mine were "only" $20k list price 5 years ago.

However, I do love OB sound (and especially ribbons and/or planar magnetics) and I have to tip the hat to AlysVox for making by far the most beautiful planar speaker I've ever seen.  And not by a little.  In person the fit/finish and beauty of the speaker were just stunning. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2019, 11:43 pm »
You couldn't have said it better. This room by a VERY wide margin was the BEST room at the show. I wonder if we were in the room at the same time on Saturday. Probably not but I too was in there for over an hour. I couldn't move. Other than playing musical chairs to get the front seat. I have listened to a lot of speakers and been to many RMAF shows. This speaker stands out over all of them. The way the music was delivered was incredible. Jaw dropping! The Alsyvox guys were looking at me with big smiles on their faces when I was at the front seat listening. They knew what was going through my mind. I spoke to Jean Pierre for a bit, real nice guy and he was telling me about what made them so special. Of course a lot of it flew right over my head but I told him that his speakers gave me goosebumps. That room ruined the rest of the show for me.

Yeah, I'd agree except I think YG came REALLY close, and their setup and room acoustics were actually far better vs AlsyVox. YG has more density to the sound but I think that would change if the AlsyVox were in a smaller room.

AlsyVox also did a really good job choosing their demo music, I need to contact them and ask them to send a list of tracks, because a lot of the reason they got "best" was some of the recordings were just stunningly realistic on the system. I'd love to be able to play my own music in a more ideal room and see what they're really capable of!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2019, 11:45 pm »
Actually, as good as they were, I'd still pick my speakers even if the price were not a factor. 

:roll:

seadogs1

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2019, 01:03 pm »
DaveC113 if you get the demo song list could you please post it?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2019, 03:37 pm »
DaveC113 if you get the demo song list could you please post it?

Sure, Here's one: "Walking on the Moon" by the Yuri Honing Trio.

I regret not using Shazam a lot more in that room! ;)

gab

« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2019, 04:12 pm »
Sure, Here's one: "Walking on the Moon" by the Yuri Honing Trio.

Listening to it now on Tidal. Nice!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2019, 04:26 pm »
I felt that this room was excellent but I much preferred the Boulder-Vienna Acoustics-REL room. And I am a Magnepan guy.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2019, 05:41 pm »
AlsyVox and Omega have also received raves on AVShow Reports:

https://youtu.be/LI2GWVVNaK0
https://youtu.be/QoOtPuUpJ6E
https://youtu.be/yjWK8u02Mfg
https://youtu.be/NiRewpaAW5Y

The AlsyVox looks like a 21st century update of the big Apogees. Sigh, why didn’t I sell enough blood to get the Apogee Mini Grand in the 1990s?

The industrial design and cabling of the Omega gear is certainly out there. When I saw this picture from the Munich show all I could think was:

“Greetings to the people of earth. We come in peace. Take us to your leader.”

Turns out the suspended hemisphere is not the brain holder for an advanced alien species of cyborgs. Rather a CD drive.

The cable loom is nice, however for my system I need something in a little brighter color.

AvsFan

« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2019, 04:10 pm »
Yeah, I'd agree except I think YG came REALLY close, and their setup and room acoustics were actually far better vs AlsyVox. YG has more density to the sound but I think that would change if the AlsyVox were in a smaller room.

AlsyVox also did a really good job choosing their demo music, I need to contact them and ask them to send a list of tracks, because a lot of the reason they got "best" was some of the recordings were just stunningly realistic on the system. I'd love to be able to play my own music in a more ideal room and see what they're really capable of!

PERFECT demo music. That Harry Connick Jr track they were playing was insane. It sounded like the entire band was up there on stage in the room! Most realistic sound I've ever heard. I took down ll the tracks and went home and played them on my Maggie LRS's. Although it sounded good, it sounded NOTHING like that room. Made me sad.

AvsFan

« Reply #14 on: 12 Sep 2019, 04:19 pm »
I felt that this room was excellent but I much preferred the Boulder-Vienna Acoustics-REL room. And I am a Magnepan guy.

Yep, I know you liked that room. We've talked about it. But I have to ask, what's wrong with your ears?!?!?!?!?!?! I think an audiologist is in order! LOL  :D Just kidding.

That Vienna room was stand out for me. Really great music in that room. Other than the Alsyvox room, my second favorite room. Amazing coherency, soundstage was huge, vertically, horizontally and deep. Sitting on that couch in that Vienna room was pure enjoyment. Spent the most time in there and the Alsyvox room. For people visiting these rooms, I have to ask, did you get the sweet seat? I finally made my way to the front seat at the Alsyvox room and when I got there, I was like WOW! All the seats sounded good but that front seat, you REALLY got t hear the best sound.

AvsFan

« Reply #15 on: 12 Sep 2019, 04:30 pm »
Oh, another thing I noticed. Guess what format they were using for music? Good ole reliable 16/44 CD music. No fancy $50,000 record player, or Tidal or $10,000 High Rez music streamer. Just CD's. And the music was the BEST I have ever heard. I am sure they were using some high end DAC, CD Player or something but still just cd's being spun. Not trying to start a format war but I LOVE cd's and will never stop spinning those discs. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #16 on: 12 Sep 2019, 04:53 pm »
Oh, another thing I noticed. Guess what format they were using for music? Good ole reliable 16/44 CD music. No fancy $50,000 record player, or Tidal or $10,000 High Rez music streamer. Just CD's. And the music was the BEST I have ever heard. I am sure they were using some high end DAC, CD Player or something but still just cd's being spun. Not trying to start a format war but I LOVE cd's and will never stop spinning those discs. 

Speakers have the biggest impact on the sound you hear, followed by the room.  This is why you see me constantly harping on people doing something to treat their room before spending a ton of money elsewhere.  Amps are next (preamp and amp), and DAC/Streamer/CD Player is dead last.  So I'm not surprised at all that "mere CDs" sounded so good. 

Don_S

« Reply #17 on: 12 Sep 2019, 05:03 pm »
What is the trick to get this thread to fit on my monitor? Control- makes the print too small before the pictures begin to fit.

Which Vienna Acoustics model?

seadogs1

« Reply #18 on: 12 Sep 2019, 05:27 pm »
AvsFan could you post the song List? Thanks!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #19 on: 12 Sep 2019, 06:30 pm »
Speakers have the biggest impact on the sound you hear, followed by the room.  This is why you see me constantly harping on people doing something to treat their room before spending a ton of money elsewhere.  Amps are next (preamp and amp), and DAC/Streamer/CD Player is dead last.  So I'm not surprised at all that "mere CDs" sounded so good.

I disagree, and think it's bad advice.

If the system isn't good it doesn't matter what room it's in, it's going to not be good. However, a great system in an average room is far preferable because the brain is very capable of separating the source of the sound from the reflections made by the room. There could be instances of simply horrible acoustics spaces no system will work in, but in an average room this is true. FWIW, Toole agrees with this.

If this wasn't true YG would have won as their system setup was far better vs AlsyVox, the tone and bass extension was better and the decay was much more reasonable. But this is a show and I think the AlsyVox speakers were more convincing despite the inferior (vs YG) system setup.

I've heard plenty of systems that were better than AlsyVox at RMAF 2019, but I'm not sure I've heard better speakers.