Hot Headphone Deals!!

OzarkTom

Re: Hot Headphone Deals!!
« Reply #100 on: 6 Nov 2016, 11:33 pm »
Sennheiser HD 6XX

5000 units to be sold for $199 on Massdrop Nov.8.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #101 on: 7 Nov 2016, 10:31 am »
I will waiting a HD800 or HD8XX for $299.

dB Cooper

« Reply #102 on: 8 Nov 2016, 01:39 am »
Good luck

Wig

« Reply #103 on: 8 Nov 2016, 02:11 am »
Guys,

Do these 6XX headphones need an amplifier?

Thanks,
Wig

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #104 on: 8 Nov 2016, 02:26 am »
Almost all headphones benefit from a proper amplifier, but if you can't afford one right now don't worry about it. Just get the headphones and buy an amp later.

Wig

« Reply #105 on: 8 Nov 2016, 04:58 am »
Guys,

Thanks for the info! I've always wanted a pair of these and I primarily only listen to Classical Acoustic Guitar, Violin and Cello and like you said may not need one and I'm OK with that. In fact, a few years ago I bought a Schitt for my Grado SR60 and my Shure 840 and thought it was a down grade in sound quality in comparison to my ModWright Sony 5400.

Hopefully, I'll be one of 5,000!

Wig

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #106 on: 8 Nov 2016, 06:59 am »
Wig these are not Engineers just audiophiles expressing their opinions,you should look at the sponsor circles who actually build these things good or bad doesn't matter still better than just biased opinions of audiophiles
i'm gonna be hated for saying this, :duh:

Armaegis

« Reply #107 on: 8 Nov 2016, 07:47 am »
Nevermind the fact that some of us actually are engineers by trade, but both Dale and myself have extensive headphone experience. The Sennheiser HD600/650 are a very well known quantity to me, having owned many iterations of it over the years and paired it with many different amps both simple and exotic. The Massdrop HD6xx is a very very close variant of the HD650, so I can say with a high degree of confidence that it is going to sound best with an amp.

Dale is correct that the Sennheisers experience a large impedance swing in the midbass. If your headamp has a larger output impedance, this is going to cause a shift in the frequency response. As well, it may potentially cause a sag in the power delivery which may lead to distortion or clipping. Issues of damping factor may also result, although the audibility of this is generally very small.

That all said, the HD6## family are still good headphones even if you don't have a proper amp, which is why I said he should get it and worry about the amp later.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #108 on: 8 Nov 2016, 04:32 pm »
Guys,

Do these 6XX headphones need an amplifier?

Thanks,
Wig
Hi, see this topic:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=146311.0
Is for people like you that I did this topic, HP amps is optional perfumery to give another version of the musical facts, the musical truth is the one that comes out of the source in this case the CD player.

gadfly

« Reply #109 on: 8 Nov 2016, 06:23 pm »
MASSDOUCHE

Wasted 2 hrs. receiving oops and spinning green wheels trying to
place order for hd6xx.  Last year did Amazon have black Friday
deals on Sennheisers?

Armaegis

« Reply #110 on: 8 Nov 2016, 07:19 pm »
I wouldn't really put too much blame on Massdrop here guys. The demand/hype on the HD6xx has been nuts and it's easy for even the most prepped servers/IT to be overwhelmed when the rush comes in.

Just like Black Friday at a retail store; it doesn't matter how well you prep, that stampede when the doors open is an unstoppable force.

dB Cooper

« Reply #111 on: 8 Nov 2016, 08:47 pm »
No, actually.  First, ripping your CD with Verify ON will give you a perfect copy of your tracks that real-time CD play cannot do.  Second, a good DAC will likely reduce jitter compared to the CD DAC.  Third, an amp matched to the requirements of the headphone will most likely be better than a "default" amp.
Not only that but wouldn't the high output impedance causes damping factor issues and frequency response anomalies with many speakers (this is probably less of an issue with planars which tend to have flat impedance curves). On the other hand, planars thrive on current, current that the line stage is probably not designed to deliver (it is designed to see a load of ~10-50Kohm, not the ~32 ohms it sees with a planar headphone, which probably looks almost like a short to it.) I wonder whether that would be good for the line stage long term... Just thinking aloud (I know just enough to be dangerous)

Wig

« Reply #112 on: 9 Nov 2016, 12:52 am »
I was the 780+ customer this morning to order but transaction didn't go through! Oh well...

Wig

« Reply #113 on: 9 Nov 2016, 04:51 am »
I will keep my eye open for upcoming sales on HD600, which I hear are more neutral.

Wig

« Reply #114 on: 10 Nov 2016, 04:11 pm »
Guys,

Any recommendation for a tube headphone amplifier for the HD600? Really like the Woo brand but is there anything better in that price range?

Thanks,
Wig

FireGuy

« Reply #115 on: 10 Nov 2016, 04:22 pm »
Guys,

Any recommendation for a tube headphone amplifier for the HD600? Really like the Woo brand but is there anything better in that price range?

Thanks,
Wig

Schiit Audio - Excellent performance for the price.
http://schiit.com/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #116 on: 10 Nov 2016, 04:34 pm »
Guys,

Thanks,
Wig
I think you need a Bottlehead Crack, it have a special synergy w/the HD600:
http://bottlehead.com/product/crack-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit/
There is a pall AC member here that are used to built these kits but I dont know who is, or made yourself if you can handle a solder iron for even lower cost.
Its great for 300/600 Ohms HPs but some users find it good for 100 Ohms also.

dB Cooper

« Reply #117 on: 11 Nov 2016, 12:36 am »
Guys,

Thanks,
Wig

If you want a tubed solution, also consider the Beezar Torpedo transformer-coupled amp, has taps for 32 and 300 ohm headphones and appears to be an easy kit build (All on a single board, no point to point  wiring. http://beezar.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=153

Armaegis

« Reply #118 on: 11 Nov 2016, 06:20 am »
I'll throw another vote in for the Bottlehead Crack. I've built that one about three times now and it is an excellent match with Sennheisers.

A newcomer to consider is the Wolf Ear Makoyi. I have that combo in house at the moment and it's quite good. They have their own circle here as well: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=145079.0

Wig

« Reply #119 on: 12 Nov 2016, 08:05 pm »
Excellent info guys!

Thanks,
Wig