Gaia feet

Mariusz Uszynski

Re: Gaia feet
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jan 2022, 11:39 pm »
i built a base from 3/4" plywood and used three speaker spikes that penetrated through both the carpet and pad so that the spikes are firm to the concrete below. The spikes are configured in a triangle so they act like a tripod giving a solid and wobble free base for the X5's with the Gaila II feet. I'm very pleased with the improvement to the bass as it has tightened up somewhat.

An excellent job, I bet it sounds amazing, looks gorgeous :thumb:

Mr. Big

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jan 2022, 01:00 am »
I do know that when you raise any speakers 2-3" higher it will change the sound and imaging. The tonal balance will change no matter if it was a wooden stand, bricks, or anything else due to the height difference and its impact on the bottom end which supports everything above.

I have found my M3's have sounded their best just on their own front feet with no spikes of any kind. I have to thick carpet with a 10lb carpet pad below with a 3/4 inch plywood floor nailed to studs. The dynamics, detail, transparency, body and weight, and a, even more, deeper, and more defined bass. Even those who have stopped by to listen I will put the spikes on and play the system with their own discs and music, then later I take the spikes off and play the same discs of theirs back over and wait to see their reaction, in every case I get a whoa, man does that sound better, to your telling me just taking the spikes off could not this? It sounds like a different speaker and for the better. My speaker is decoupled without the spikes and it cost me zero. I never like spikes on many speakers, even my Quad ESL 63's turn that speaker into a transistor radio almost but yes, it sounded different alright, nice and clean with not much else left, oh the bass was supertight to almost no weight to it or tone, color or body. 

Tomorrow I going to pull my Mark Levinson 300 watt amp out of storage and me my Mcintosh to the side. I have a feeling this is going to be something special because the ML was current feedback-driven over-voltage and it had a subterranean bass, with a very open midrange and analog-like highs. It had dynamics that were jaw-dropping with my Dynaudio Confidence 5's. I have the matching ML 326S preamp also that will be going into the system. Both are hardly used with maybe 200 hours on them. With my purchase of the Quads, I added the McIntosh's into the system and I loved that combo for 10 years.

Certain gear you buy is special and that is when you hang on to it even if you make a change just for change's sake as I did.

abomwell

« Reply #22 on: 24 Jan 2022, 08:25 pm »
Good thoughts!

One advantage of the platform under the Gaia feet is it raises the speakers so my ears are now closer to the bottom of the wave guides which yields a very slight darkening of the treble. My listening chair seat is higher than sitting on a sofa or club chair would position me.

abomwell

« Reply #23 on: 24 Jan 2022, 08:31 pm »
An excellent job, I bet it sounds amazing, looks gorgeous :thumb:

Thanks! It turned out looking better than I expected. A friend cut each base of plywood on his table saw to 14" x 18" and I put on the trim and finish which are two coats of black satin spray and two coats of clear sealer. Very easy to make!

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #24 on: 24 Jan 2022, 09:04 pm »
Thanks! It turned out looking better than I expected. A friend cut each base of plywood on his table saw to 14" x 18" and I put on the trim and finish which are two coats of black satin spray and two coats of clear sealer. Very easy to make!
Happy listening. :popcorn:

morganc

« Reply #25 on: 1 Feb 2022, 12:34 am »
I must be the dunce in the room, but how the heck do you get the back footers off?  There is hardly any space between the screw and the base!  Is there a special Allen wrench needed? 
Thanks!
Morgan

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #26 on: 1 Feb 2022, 01:26 am »
I must be the dunce in the room, but how the heck do you get the back footers off?  There is hardly any space between the screw and the base!  Is there a special Allen wrench needed? 
Thanks!
Morgan
Morgan, are you talking about original sub footers?

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #27 on: 1 Feb 2022, 01:30 am »

Do you have these?

abomwell

« Reply #28 on: 1 Feb 2022, 01:33 am »
Thanks!
Morgan

There is an Allen wrench that came with the Gaia feet I ordered from Spatial that does fit into that tight space.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #29 on: 1 Feb 2022, 01:37 am »
There is an Allen wrench that came with the Gaia feet I ordered from Spatial that does fit into that tight space.
Oh, you need to go from the top with the allen key, becareful don't scratch the speaker.In my case (Dynaudio) the opening for allen key was close to the speaker wall, so becareful

morganc

« Reply #30 on: 1 Feb 2022, 02:37 am »

So I need to ask Clayton?  Or anyone wanna share with me and I’ll send it back?

abomwell

« Reply #31 on: 1 Feb 2022, 03:09 am »
I would ask Clayton what size Allen wrench to buy. Amazon sells them with a short arm or "stubby ball end".