Speaker Placement & Room Treatment -- Feedback requested.

ritzry2

Happy Holidays!

I am planning on putting together a home theater and 2-channel listening room in our basement. I don't have a lot of space or flexibility but I am hoping to make something work. Here is the layout of the room I am envisioning. I would like any feedback you have with respect to speaker placement and room treatment.

Other details...

ROOM – This room will be used for both home theater and 2-channel listening.

FLOORING – Carpet

WALLS – Drywall

CEILING – Drywall – A bulkhead that is approximately 1' high and 4' wide runs the length of the 15' 10" wall on the south side of the room. The height of the ceiling is 7.5' where there is NO bulkhead (7' W x 15' 10" L) and 6.5 where there IS a bulkhead (4' W x 15' 10" L).

SPEAKERS - GR Research X-Statiks open baffle main speakers (http://gr-research.com/x-statikkit.aspx), GR Research Servo Sub Kit #2 (http://gr-research.com/servosubkit2.aspx) and GR Research X-Voce center (http://gr-research.com/x-voce.aspx)

I appreciate any thoughts/feedback. Thanks, Ryan

RonP

Re: Speaker Placement & Room Treatment -- Feedback requested.
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2019, 04:54 am »
Setup your room in their 3d system and submit it for free advice

https://www.gikacoustics.com/acoustic-advice/

I ordered my first set of treatments yesterday. 4wk lead time.

Cheers

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2019, 05:40 am »
I’d add a pair of A/V-1RSs for side surround speakers and either a second pair of A/V-1RSs or a pair of X-LS Encores as surround back speakers.

The surround speakers designed to match the X-Statik/X-Voce front are the X-Omnis. However, they need to be three feet away from any wall and I’m not sure from the drawing if you have enough room. If you do, I’d go with X-Omnis for the surround speakers.

I’d also recommend at least one more sub. For that many seating positions, four sub’s would be ideal. The most likely positions would be one on each wall.

nrenter

« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2019, 04:32 pm »
Are you committed to your speaker choices?

ritzry2

« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2019, 12:09 am »
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I am open to hearing feedback on speaker choice. I don't plan on changing BUT I would like to hear your thoughts, which could change my mind. I own a handful of different speakers which have been boxed-up for a while, so I could make a change easily.

Regarding home theater, I am not all that interested in home theater surround speakers. I am more of a 2-channel person. Going with 2 subs is something I may explore. I don't plan on doing surround speakers though.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2019, 12:45 pm »
Layout looks traditional/good.  Earl Geddes has a similar layout in his 8ft x 14ft x 22ft HT/audio room.

Suggest picking speakers that have high coherence (driver blending) and wide dispersion for all the mid-field front row listening positions. 

If you go with 2 subs, suggest placing in opposite corners with different offsets from the corners to reduce inevitable in-room bass peaks/dips.

ritzry2

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2019, 04:04 pm »
When you say place subs at opposite ends, are you referring to (a) opposite diagonal ends, (b) opposite (short wall) end, or (c) opposite (long wall) end?

Are you familiar with X-Statik speakers? That is what I plan on using in this space; how would they perform in this space?

Bizarroterl

« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2019, 05:12 pm »
2 subs allow you to get better dispersion of low frequencies throughout the room.

nrenter

« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec 2019, 07:39 pm »
8' x 14' x 22' is literally twice the estimated volume of a 7' (average) x 11' x 16 room - and that's not including the volume consumed by a platform AND 2 rows of theater seats.

Personally, if I wanted to keep the OB speakers, I'd ditch the platform and the 2nd row of seats. If I was committed to the 2nd row, I'd use a set of monitors that would work well closer to side walls and heavily treat the first reflection points.

Less is more, and this is coming from a guy with a 11' x 12' x 10' listening space.

ritzry2

« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2019, 05:13 pm »
In the corner of our basement we have a couple sump pumps that need to be hidden. Hence the platform -- this hides the sump pumps. We have 6 on our family so we want enough theater seating for 6, which is why we have two rows of theater seating. If it were up to me, this space would be a dedicated 2-channel room with a single listening chair BUT this space needs to accommodate the entire family so I am trying to make it work the best it can.

I should be able to pull the speakers out 3' from the front wall. This would then give about 6 - 6.5' distance between the first row of theater seating and the speakers.

Will this be too close of a distance or will this work OK????

I know the setup is not ideal BUT will it be sufficient, all things considered. I do own other speakers that I could put in the space but I was hoping to use my x-statiks here because I recently built them and I like them.

Jaytor

« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec 2019, 05:44 pm »
If your primary goal is 2-channel audio, I'd stick with the X-Statiks. I think your positioning will work ok with some room treatments.

Are you planning a flatpanel TV or a projector system? If a flatpanel TV, you could do what I've seen others do which is to create some diffusor panels that clip over the top of the TV when you are listening to music so that you don't have a large reflective panel right between the speakers. If using projection, you could look at a perforated screen with diffusors behind the screen. Even a non-perforated screen is going to pass lower frequencies right through, so using some treatments behind the screen might help.

Bass traps (or tube traps) in the corners (particularly front corners) are going to help with the room modes (particularly around 70 Hz).

Absorbers or abfusors at the first reflection points on the walls and ceiling will help with imaging and dialog intelligibility.

ritzry2

« Reply #11 on: 28 Dec 2019, 04:19 pm »
Any recommendations on acoustic treatment companies? I am looking at GIK and ATS. Thoughts/feedback?

ritzry2

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jan 2020, 06:58 pm »
I put together a visual of acoustic treatments for my room. The 2'x4' panels on the front and back wall will actually be 2x4 diffusion panels I have already. I would appreciate any feedback/advice you have on treatment. Thanks!

2D: https://gikacoustics.roomle.com/t/planner?mode=2D&id=fnp2hl9cgspr03ryhj54f0dc3px5cvh&shared=1
3D: https://gikacoustics.roomle.com/t/planner/?mode=3D&id=fnp2hl9cgspr03ryhj54f0dc3px5cvh&shared=1

RonP

« Reply #13 on: 3 Jan 2020, 07:29 pm »
I put together a visual of acoustic treatments for my room. The 2'x4' panels on the front and back wall will actually be 2x4 diffusion panels I have already. I would appreciate any feedback/advice you have on treatment. Thanks!

2D: https://gikacoustics.roomle.com/t/planner?mode=2D&id=fnp2hl9cgspr03ryhj54f0dc3px5cvh&shared=1
3D: https://gikacoustics.roomle.com/t/planner/?mode=3D&id=fnp2hl9cgspr03ryhj54f0dc3px5cvh&shared=1

Did you send those links to GIK? Use the form on their website. They'll mock it all up for you for free. They had me start with the corners and first reflection points. I scaled down their suggested "full blown" treatment to something that was workable within my budget. They are responsive to emails and calls after they've had a few days to make their initial review.

rockadanny

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jan 2020, 08:48 pm »
GIK is a great company and offers quality, science-proven products at reasonable costs. They are very helpful.  :thumb:
I pass near their shop every day on my way to work. Next week I'll be dropping off some 244 panels for re-covering.

ritzry2

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2020, 02:55 am »
Which of the following GIK products would your recommend for the corners, based off performance for the cost for my room (dimensions above)...

a) 4 - 1' x 4' Monsters
b) 4 - 1' x 4' 244's
c) 4 - TriTraps
d) 2 - 1' x 4' Monsters (front) and 2 - Soffit (back)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jan 2020, 11:12 am »
Have not heard the X-Statik, but as a MTM open baffle design agree that it would be far from my first choice for a mid-field speaker.  With subs you won't need speakers with 4 mid-woofers plus be able to reach lower frequencies.  Note that I'm a purist and a fan of keeping it as simple as possible.

As far as subwoofer placement, recommend 3- 4 subs located near corners to reduce inevitable in-room bass peaks/dips and reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition to learn how speakers behave in-room.  I use three 10 inch subs near corners in my audio room. 

Don't second guess, just send your diagram/descriptions into GIK and get their advice before purchase.  I use ten 2ft x 4ft GIK 244 panels in my 8ft x 13ft x 21ft audio room. 

RonP

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jan 2020, 01:01 pm »
Don't second guess, just send your diagram/descriptions into GIK and get their advice before purchase.  I use ten 2ft x 4ft GIK 244 panels in my 8ft x 13ft x 21ft audio room.
This.

They are having me put tri traps in the front corners though.

ritzry2

« Reply #18 on: 11 Jan 2020, 01:41 pm »
Have not heard the X-Statik, but as a MTM open baffle design agree that it would be far from my first choice for a mid-field speaker. 
What are the limitations / issues going this route? I will probably be closer to 7' away from the speakers. What is the ideal listening distance for this type of speaker design? Lastly, what type of speaker would you recommend...smaller monitors is what I think you are leaning toward.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #19 on: 11 Jan 2020, 03:06 pm »
You're new around here. Please be aware that though JLM has his thoughts about high quality set up, and many others around here have different views.  Unlike those theorizing about the X-Static speakers, I have a pair in a room quite different than yours, but with it's own problems.  I have found that somewhat near field listening works much better than I would have thought.  It looks to me like your designed set up should work pretty well.  Mine are out from the back wall a bit more, and much further and asymmetrically placed from the side walls.  My chair is only about 6-7 ft from the front of the speakers.  They are canted in toward the listening position about 20*.  In this very non traditional positioning, they work very well in the corner of an L shaped room.  Yours should work for you as well. 
You might consider moving them out 6" and in 6", but experimentation will be your best guide.  Oh, absolutely agree that corner bass traps will be a good investment
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2020, 11:21 pm by S Clark »