What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #8940 on: 14 Jan 2015, 11:58 pm »
Hi & I'll add my 'Welcome' jazzyguytheone, to the jazz thread. :thumb:  Yes, I think I can say we all note each others posts, we just don't always have or take the time to make note as jimd & ACHiPo  have. No slight intended, and don't think your contributions aren't appreciated. Keep 'em coming, some good lookin' stuff there. As was noted everyone's tastes differ, and speaking for myself, I don't always take time to check out samples or research a given album at the time it's posted.   8)
Thank You Arthur.

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #8941 on: 15 Jan 2015, 12:06 am »
Jazzy -

Welcome, and what AD said.

Your volume of posting is tough to keep up with, but I have looked up on Allmusic some of your posts that were completely new to me.

And I played the link ACHiPo posted to the album you recommended, I got a 'Maynard Ferguson' vibe from it. Not something I'd run out to buy, but would pick up if I stumbled over it in any of the record stores I haunt.

Again, welcome, and keep listening and posting.

Gene
Thank You Gene.

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #8942 on: 15 Jan 2015, 12:40 am »
Mel Torme And The MelTones-Somewhat groovey

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #8943 on: 15 Jan 2015, 12:45 am »
Mel Torme A Tribute To Bing Crosby

Tribute To Bing Crosby

Asimov

« Reply #8944 on: 15 Jan 2015, 01:31 am »

Ramsey Lewis — Songs from the Heart: Ramsey Plays Ramsey

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #8945 on: 15 Jan 2015, 02:18 am »
Herbie Mann Phil Woods and Joe Puma on Savoy

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #8946 on: 15 Jan 2015, 02:31 am »
The Young Lions ( they are old lions now and some have passed away}Lee Morgan-trumpet killed when his girlfriend told another gentleman she was seeing him-Wayne Shorter-Tenor Frank Strozier-alto Louis Hayes-drums Bobby Timmons-piano Bob Cranshow-bass Albert Heath-drums

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #8947 on: 15 Jan 2015, 02:36 am »
The Girls Of Bethlehem Volume 1 ( I don't know of any other volumes. ) Audrey Morris and Paula Castle

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #8948 on: 15 Jan 2015, 02:42 am »
BISTRO BALLADS SUNG BY AUDREY MORRIS ON BRAND X RECORDS

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #8949 on: 15 Jan 2015, 02:46 am »
Marty Paich Quartet Introducing ART PEPPER

Asimov

« Reply #8950 on: 15 Jan 2015, 02:48 am »

Bill Carrothers — Home Row

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #8951 on: 15 Jan 2015, 03:24 am »
HEAVENLY -

ORIGINAL MASTER  RECORDING ( This one doesn't have the pop up  folder that they usually have)I bought it new.It is sort of middle the road but very romantic.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8952 on: 15 Jan 2015, 03:35 am »
Jes thought I would share an experience. Could be posters to this topic of late might get a kick out of it.  The Jazz Workshop in San Francisco was closed on Mondays, but just so happens I'm walkin by, me and a couple chums, on a Monday nite and the door is open and the music coming out the entrance stopped me in my tracks.  I did what you would have done . . I went in.  Seems that the Albert Mangelsdorf Quintet had stopped over from L.A. on their way to a gig in Seattle.  I know this cause I asked the barkeep.  This rates right up there with the best experiences of my live music days and it wasn't even scheduled.  Hardly anyone was there.  I had heard one of their albums previously and, regardless, had no idea.  For whatever the time was that they were rehearsing tunes and stretching out, I was killed by these guys and their playing.  Rate it right up there with the best in my live music experiences and t'was purely by accident.   

PS- I have his "Live in Tokyo" from 1971 on the Enja label with the very same players.  Ya'll be cool.

brooklyn

« Reply #8953 on: 15 Jan 2015, 03:56 am »
Wayda go Jim, nothing like an unexpected surprise, happy to hear you had a good time.

Regards,
Brooklyn

ACHiPo

« Reply #8954 on: 15 Jan 2015, 04:50 am »
Jes thought I would share an experience. Could be posters to this topic of late might get a kick out of it.  The Jazz Workshop in San Francisco was closed on Mondays, but just so happens I'm walkin by, me and a couple chums, on a Monday nite and the door is open and the music coming out the entrance stopped me in my tracks.  I did what you would have done . . I went in.  Seems that the Albert Mangelsdorf Quintet had stopped over from L.A. on their way to a gig in Seattle.  I know this cause I asked the barkeep.  This rates right up there with the best experiences of my live music days and it wasn't even scheduled.  Hardly anyone was there.  I had heard one of their albums previously and, regardless, had no idea.  For whatever the time was that they were rehearsing tunes and stretching out, I was killed by these guys and their playing.  Rate it right up there with the best in my live music experiences and t'was purely by accident.   

PS- I have his "Live in Tokyo" from 1971 on the Enja label with the very same players.  Ya'll be cool.
Great story, Jim!

ACHiPo

« Reply #8955 on: 15 Jan 2015, 05:19 am »
The Sound of Jazz

AllMusic Review by Cub Koda
This is the highly praised 1957 CBS-TV telecast that brought together Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Count Basie, Billie Holiday and other greats into the living rooms of America for the first time. Not only was the show -- originally telecast as an episode of CBS's Seven Lively Arts series -- a massive critical and popular success, the music still sounds every bit as exciting as it seemed on that original broadcast. Kicking off with two tracks from the Red Allen All Stars, the set moves onto Billie Holiday's smoky rendition of "Fine and Mellow," which features fine solo work from Prez, Webster, Doc Cheatham, Hawk, and Vic Dickenson. The show also brought together such odd combinations as old fig Pee Wee Russell and bopper Jimmy Giuffre dueting on clarinet, backed only Danny Baker's acoustic guitar and Jo Jones' in-the-pocket drumming. Giuffre appears later with his regular trio of Jim Hall on guitar and Jim Atlas on bass doing "The Train and the River," while pianist Mal Waldron solos on "Nervous." The capper of the set is two tracks from the Count Basie All-Stars featuring alumni like Prez, Jimmy Rushing, Jo Jones, and Freddy Green, augmented by such luminaries as Hawk, Dickenson, Harry Carney, Roy Eldridge, Dickie Wells, and Doc Cheatham. Mixed in true stereo, this is one feast for the ears and, for many, jazz's greatest moment on the tube.
YouTube of the Original CBS Broadcast

ACHiPo

« Reply #8956 on: 15 Jan 2015, 05:24 am »
Mel Torme And The MelTones-Somewhat groovey
Jazzy,
I see you're a fan of the Velvet Fog!  Cool!  Why am I not surprised?

ACHiPo

« Reply #8957 on: 15 Jan 2015, 05:29 am »
Coltrane Plays the Blues
Atlantic 1382
John Coltrane, soprano and tenor sax
McCoy Tyner, piano
Steve Davis, bass
Elvin Jones, drums

I picked this up many years ago in a discount/cut-out bin.  I think it's a schlocky pressing, as it's a pretty distorted LP, but the music is still quite nice.

AllMusic Review and Sample

ACHiPo

« Reply #8958 on: 15 Jan 2015, 05:35 am »
And I played the link ACHiPo posted to the album you recommended, I got a 'Maynard Ferguson' vibe from it. Not something I'd run out to buy, but would pick up if I stumbled over it in any of the record stores I haunt.
Gene,
I can definitely see (hear) Maynard, too.  He definitely blows at "11"--a little blatty, like Seversen or Ferguson, or maybe a little Dixielandy.

Cheers!

Asimov

« Reply #8959 on: 15 Jan 2015, 08:42 am »

Albert Mangelsdorff - A Jazz Tune I Hope