What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #8820 on: 11 Jan 2015, 03:43 am »
GRANT GREEN-SOLID

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #8821 on: 11 Jan 2015, 03:47 am »
GRANT GREEN AND LOU DONALDSON-COOL BLUES

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #8822 on: 11 Jan 2015, 03:51 am »
GRANT GREEN-GREEN IS BEAUTIFUL

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #8823 on: 11 Jan 2015, 05:07 am »

SONNY CLARK-DIAL S FOR SUNNY

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #8824 on: 11 Jan 2015, 05:15 am »
MILES DAVIS -

ASCENSEUR POUR L'ÉCHAFAUD    MILES AT HIS VERY BEST

Asimov

« Reply #8825 on: 11 Jan 2015, 11:49 am »

Charlie Parker - The Complete Norman Granz Master Takes CD-1/4

Asimov

« Reply #8826 on: 11 Jan 2015, 01:31 pm »

Chuck Mangione — Love Notes

Asimov

« Reply #8827 on: 11 Jan 2015, 02:38 pm »

Coleman Hawkins Quartet — Today And Now

Asimov

« Reply #8828 on: 11 Jan 2015, 03:21 pm »

John Bunch With Phil Flanigan — Struttin'

Asimov

« Reply #8829 on: 11 Jan 2015, 05:08 pm »

Modern Jazz Quartet - The Legendary Profile

ACHiPo

« Reply #8830 on: 11 Jan 2015, 05:28 pm »
Ramsey Lewis
Hang On Ramsey

Just picked this up yesterday on a trip up to Recycled Records and Amoeba Music (a great experience--highly recommended if you're ever in San Francisco or Berkeley) and just giving it a first listen.  Unfortunately the copy's not quite as good as it looked, but it's still a nice recording of fun music.

Edit:  The 2nd side takes this album to a whole 'nother level of enjoyment.  While the 1st side is ok, on the flip side you can hear the synergy and energy develop which really increases how engaging this is.  Liking it more and more on every revolution.

AllMusic Review by Scott Yanow
Considering that this album was an obvious follow-up to "The In Crowd," it is surprising that the music is not more commercial; that would happen in the near future. As it was, pianist Ramsey Lewis (assisted as usual by bassist Eldee Young and drummer Red Holt) had another big hit in "Hang on Sloopy," and the set (as with the previous one) was recorded at a club before an enthusiastic crowd. The enjoyable LP also includes a couple of Beatles tunes (their version of "A Hard Day's Night" caught on), "He's a Real Gone Guy," "Billy Boy," and "Hi-Heel Sneakers" among the highlights. This was the final full-length recording by the group before Young and Holt left to form their own band.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #8831 on: 11 Jan 2015, 06:05 pm »
Hank Mobley ‎– A Slice Of The Top

I bought a lot of Mobley and McLean over a year ago, listened once and put away, they didn't 'grab' me, maybe cuz not as familiar to my ear as Miles/Morgan/Coltrane/Adderly etc. Dusting them off and playing again, and enjoying them quite a bit. More so Mobley then McLean so far, but that could change.

This an interesting outing, an octet with tuba and euphonium, a 'fuller' sound.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #8832 on: 11 Jan 2015, 06:07 pm »
Love this album! So much so I had to go see the movie.

MILES DAVIS -
ASCENSEUR POUR L'ÉCHAFAUD    MILES AT HIS VERY BEST

ACHiPo

« Reply #8833 on: 11 Jan 2015, 06:10 pm »
Bill Evans
More from the Vanguard

Another new acquisition from Recycled Records on Haight.  Waltz for Debbie is one of my faves, and this is really nice as well.  Fortunately it either wasn't overloved by the previous owner, or played with good gear, as it still sounds really good.

The release of this LP in 1984 was a welcome event, for it consists of alternate versions of seven selections played by the classic Bill Evans/Scott LaFaro/Paul Motian trio at the Village Vanguard. Highlights include "Alice in Wonderland," "All of You," "My Romance" and "Waltz for Debby." All of the music from this legendary engagement has since been reissued on CD.

ACHiPo

« Reply #8834 on: 11 Jan 2015, 06:12 pm »
Hank Mobley ‎– A Slice Of The Top

I bought a lot of Mobley and McLean over a year ago, listened once and put away, they didn't 'grab' me, maybe cuz not as familiar to my ear as Miles/Morgan/Coltrane/Adderly etc. Dusting them off and playing again, and enjoying them quite a bit. More so Mobley then McLean so far, but that could change.

This an interesting outing, an octet with tuba and euphonium, a 'fuller' sound.

[img]
I picked up a couple Mobley albums yesterday, but not sure I'll get to them today.  Looking forward to giving them a listen.

Asimov

« Reply #8835 on: 11 Jan 2015, 06:23 pm »

The Oscar Peterson Trio — The Sound Of The Trio

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8836 on: 11 Jan 2015, 07:08 pm »
Bill Evans
More from the Vanguard

Another new acquisition from Recycled Records on Haight.  Waltz for Debbie is one of my faves, and this is really nice as well.  Fortunately it either wasn't overloved by the previous owner, or played with good gear, as it still sounds really good.

The release of this LP in 1984 was a welcome event, for it consists of alternate versions of seven selections played by the classic Bill Evans/Scott LaFaro/Paul Motian trio at the Village Vanguard. Highlights include "Alice in Wonderland," "All of You," "My Romance" and "Waltz for Debby." All of the music from this legendary engagement has since been reissued on CD.
Nice!  I have "Sunday at The Village Vanguard" with the same crew. LaFaro was an Evans' find.  Wasn't but in his 20's when he was killed in a car accident, I believe.

brooklyn

« Reply #8837 on: 11 Jan 2015, 07:21 pm »

Al Jarreau   Heart's Horizon

ACHiPo

« Reply #8838 on: 11 Jan 2015, 07:23 pm »
Freddy Hubbard
Ready for Freddy

Trumpeter Freddie Hubbard really came into his own during this Blue Note session. He is matched with quite an all-star group (tenor saxophonist Wayne Shorter, pianist McCoy Tyner, bassist Art Davis, and drummer Elvin Jones in addition to Bernard McKinney on euphonium), introduces two of his finest compositions ("Birdlike" and "Crisis"), and is quite lyrical on his ballad feature, "Weaver of Dreams." Hubbard's sidemen all play up to par and this memorable session is highly recommended; it's one of the trumpeter's most rewarding Blue Note albums.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/ready-for-freddie-mw0000644908

ACHiPo

« Reply #8839 on: 11 Jan 2015, 07:26 pm »
Nice!  I have "Sunday at The Village Vanguard" with the same crew. LaFaro was an Evans' find.  Wasn't but in his 20's when he was killed in a car accident, I believe.
Jim,
Yes LaFaro was killed only a few days after these were recorded.  This album comes from that same weekend recording session at the Vanguard.  While the tracks didn't make it onto the first two albums, they're quite good in their own right.