What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

jimdgoulding

Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #6940 on: 26 Apr 2014, 04:24 pm »
Thank you I love it. It is great that I can post as I waited for a while. I love jazz and have a large collection,I plan on posting some more rare jazz records.
Here's two I can DEFINITELY recommend:

"Lives Sides" and "At The Lighthouse"

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6941 on: 26 Apr 2014, 05:11 pm »
The amp was working, but it dropped a channel. I plan on taking it to a tech. That beast  INDEED  (700b) has 350+ wpc. The preamp has issues also. They both have beautiful walnut cases.  I bought these off of CL from the original owner with a Thorens 145 Mk2, Infinity QLS 2's and some other goodies. Everything is in mint condition, but needs work because of it's age etc.

Here's the amp lit up. It weighs a ton and looks much bigger in person . . .

Sweet CB, as wto said, long time since I saw Phase. In the days of yore a friend had a matching amp/pre driving DQ-10s, circa '78. Nice find, I'm sure you'll enjoy once the bugs are cleaned out.   :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6942 on: 26 Apr 2014, 05:24 pm »
Chico is great! I have his Direct To Disc Reaching For the Top. I will post it soon.

Some tasty posts there jazzyguyt-o  :thumb:  Have been re-acquainting myself with artists & releases I haven't heard in years, in large part due to the Real Gone Jazz remaster sets. Lots of great tunes at affordable prices. Not as nice as the vinyl would be, but short of having access to stores like P-man, or vinyl_lady & others, or a large boomer base lightening their load like the Cacti household, it's a start. Really like Chico's early stuff. Keep those posts coming....... 8)

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6943 on: 26 Apr 2014, 07:03 pm »
One of Chico's best groups included Charles Lloyd on tenor and flute and Gabor Szabo on guitar.  There were two releases the Impluse label.

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #6944 on: 26 Apr 2014, 10:40 pm »
Here Is one favorite Album Jim And Arthur.I have it on original Impuse before it was absorbed by ABC.

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #6945 on: 26 Apr 2014, 10:46 pm »
Here is the Direct To Disc that I referred to before. It is #450 Each one was numbered.

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #6946 on: 26 Apr 2014, 10:53 pm »
This is another with Gabor Szabo and the whole crew of greats. It is EL CHICO also on Impulse before it was absorbed into ABC.

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #6947 on: 26 Apr 2014, 11:06 pm »
Some tasty posts there jazzyguyt-o  :thumb:  Have been re-acquainting myself with artists & releases I haven't heard in years, in large part due to the Real Gone Jazz remaster sets. Lots of great tunes at affordable prices. Not as nice as the vinyl would be, but short of having access to stores like P-man, or vinyl_lady & others, or a large boomer base lightening their load like the Cacti household, it's a start. Really like Chico's early stuff. Keep those posts coming....... 8)
I'll do my best Arthur and Jim!

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #6948 on: 26 Apr 2014, 11:13 pm »
The Further adventures were great as well!

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #6949 on: 26 Apr 2014, 11:23 pm »
On Chic "the Master" He does "Marcheta real good.

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #6950 on: 26 Apr 2014, 11:32 pm »
On the Chico Hamilton Special there is no Gabor Szabo but we find an EXCELLENT  Charles Lloyd and his ever-present Flute.

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #6951 on: 26 Apr 2014, 11:52 pm »
Chico Hamilton died on November 27,2013. Rest in Peace. He was playing Drums right until he passed away. I really miss him. Most of my heroes in Jazz are gone. It is sad!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6952 on: 27 Apr 2014, 12:36 am »

Just read on Audio Asylum that this man has passed away.  Copy of my response over there to this news:  "The opening track on Hill's Point of Departure (Blue Note) is one that, if it turns you on, I doubt you'll ever tire of. It's that good! Dolphy is on this with Joe Henderson and Kenny Dorham on the front line and Richard Davis and Tony Williams bringing up the rear. How's that for a lineup. Hill would reign in the energy on this with the help of Davis and Williams numerous times and then release it. Made me think of a team of horses with the driver pulling back on the reigns and then letting go.

With vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson came another intriguing and sometimes beautiful release, Judgment, also on Blue Note.

This man was a one of a kind composer and player."  Andrew Hill may his spirit and ideas inhabit new player/composers.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2014, 05:26 am by jimdgoulding »

Asimov

« Reply #6953 on: 27 Apr 2014, 01:24 pm »

Phineas Newborn, Jr. : C Jam Blues

Asimov

« Reply #6954 on: 27 Apr 2014, 03:23 pm »

Duke Ellington : The Pianist

Asimov

« Reply #6955 on: 27 Apr 2014, 04:15 pm »

The Ellis Marsalis Trio : Twelve's It

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #6956 on: 27 Apr 2014, 05:15 pm »

Duke Ellington : The Pianist
Brilliant Pianist! I saw the Duke outside Basin Street in NYC in the 60s.He was standing in line outside on the sidewalk like everyone else. AMAZING!!! He was a very humble man and people were amazed at his humility. He was a great composer and arranger as well as was Billy Strayhorn his alter ego.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2014, 08:55 pm by jazzyguytheone »

EarPal

« Reply #6957 on: 27 Apr 2014, 07:25 pm »

Vince Guaraldi  -  Alma-Ville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29fevYwieQk

EarPal

« Reply #6958 on: 27 Apr 2014, 08:00 pm »

The Cabildo's Three - Yuxtaposicion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk_BzHw2uKY

richidoo

« Reply #6959 on: 27 Apr 2014, 08:17 pm »

Sad news, thanks for posting Jim.
I recently picked up a CD copy of Point of Departure and I was surprised at little bass and low mids are on the CD compared to the vinyl that I remember from 30 years ago. Great music. rip

I love Chico Hamilton's work with early Mulligan Quartet. rip