off ramp vs pace car - upgrade?

firedog

off ramp vs pace car - upgrade?
« on: 11 Dec 2008, 10:07 am »
I'm debating the 2 options.  I want to build/buy a music server.  I have a modded TACT Preamp which I'm happy with and will be the DAC.

The off ramp is clearly a cheaper and more flexible solution (accepts all types of input such as 16/44.1, 24/96) and works with any PC -even inexpensive ones. I could buy a dedicated Dell Laptop for about $600 and have an adequate server solution in terms of living room friendlyness, HD space and interface (i.e. interface is onscreen with the Laptop).

The Pace car is said to sound better, but the total cost of ownership for me including somewhat higher price for Pace Car, music server, and interface is much higher: If I go with the Pace Car I'd build a quiet PC server (not buy a laptop), but buy either a Duet (for 16.1/44/1 ) or a Transporter (if I want 24/96 playback) as interface. So going with the Pace Car is at least a $750 - $2000 more, depending on how I go.

I'm debating if I want to spend the extra bucks, especially as I haven't heard either solution.

One of the questions I'm asking myself: what sounds better, a laptop and off-ramp playing a file on foobar upsampled to 24/96 or  a Slim Devices Duet and Pace car playing a 16.1/44.1 file?

Have any of you gone from Off-Ramp to Pace Car? How significant did you feel the upgrade in sound quality was, assuming there was one?

Thanks

Brucemck

Re: off ramp vs pace car - upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2008, 12:53 pm »
In my system head to head Pace Car is a pretty big improvement.  It's not subtle.

In my system I still prefer PaceCar at 16/44 over non PaceCar at 24/96, but some of the gains are lost.  It's still noticeable and real.

Pace Car at 24/96 is very big delta over non pace car at 16/44.

Once you hear it it's hard to go back, as you know what you're missing.

firedog

Re: off ramp vs pace car - upgrade?
« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2008, 03:35 pm »
In my system head to head Pace Car is a pretty big improvement.  It's not subtle.

In my system I still prefer PaceCar at 16/44 over non PaceCar at 24/96, but some of the gains are lost.  It's still noticeable and real.

Pace Car at 24/96 is very big delta over non pace car at 16/44.

Once you hear it it's hard to go back, as you know what you're missing.

Thanks, that's just the kind of answer I was looking for. Anyone else agree/disagree?