Dspeaker Dual Core review

Guidof

Re: Dspeaker Dual Core review
« Reply #240 on: 3 Apr 2013, 12:16 am »
Right on. Will check it out.

I just plugged the DSPeaker analog out into the Aux 1 input of my Peachtree Decco (instead of going straight into my Acurus amp as I had configured previously, so now the DC is DAC/DSP, the Decco is preamp.

Best sound yet! The tube buffer in the Decco adds that touch of smooth warmth, and together with the detail and resolution of the DC as DAC, the corrected bass, and the ss power of the Acurus... Aw yeah. THIS is what I was hoping for when I threw down for the DC. This is great.  :icon_lol:

F*#@ yeah!

Although my preamp is SS and  I use it in passive mode, my experience is similar to yours. Fuller and more dynamic sound than when I ran the DC straight into my amp. To my surprise, I found that I get the most transparent presentation when I set the preamp volume to max and use the DC to control volume. You may want to try that and compare.

Best regards,

Guido F.

neekomax

« Reply #241 on: 3 Apr 2013, 02:48 am »
Hey so Danny Richie had this to say, wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this:

Those devices are really neat, but they only work for one spot in the room. Move your mic over and you'll have to start all over again. And most don't realize that you have to correct for one speaker at a time. When both speakers are played at once with the mono test tones then you wind up correcting for cancellations and peaks that are actually caused by the time arrival effects of the two speakers and not the room. Then those effects go away with non-mono signals.

You also can't really fix a wall reflection by turning it down in that area where it has increase amplitude. The reflection is still there. And your adjustments have shifted the sound stage artificially. The time delay from the reflection is thus un-effected.

And while the DAC's in those devices are often capable of playing high res files they are often in entry level to mid-fi level DAC at best.

Corrections below 200Hz though do have their place and are very useful. If it is handled in the digital domain only as per each channel and an higher quality outboard DAC is used, then that is a different story.

My question is, does the DC allow you to correct one channel at a time? Didn't really understand everything he said about reflections and time arrival and whatnot...

wisnon

« Reply #242 on: 3 Apr 2013, 05:09 am »
he DC is a high enuff quality Dac and you are only encouraged to correct up to 250hz max. You can also do a 5 mic position auto correction.

Guidof

« Reply #243 on: 3 Apr 2013, 02:11 pm »
Hey so Danny Richie had this to say, wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this:

My question is, does the DC allow you to correct one channel at a time? Didn't really understand everything he said about reflections and time arrival and whatnot...

The DAC in the DC is very transparent. Better than the Cambridge Audio 840-C I used to have in the main system. The typical correction the DC is designed to achieve is in the frequency range where the scheme it employs is most effective.

Guido F.

rfluongo

« Reply #244 on: 5 Apr 2013, 11:31 am »
No, just to 150hz...manual to 500.

IIRC, default correction to 150 Hz, advanced auto can be up to 500 Hz and manual anywhere.

cremar

« Reply #245 on: 5 Apr 2013, 12:00 pm »
Has anyone been able to experiment with upgrading the power supply?  I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the LPS from MCRU http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/power-supply/593-linear-power-supply-for-dspeaker-anti-mode-20-dual-core-dac-.html, but was wondering if there might be something better.  Chris, I know you have a BPS that works well...do you know of anyone willing to put something like it together for others who may be interested?

Guidof

« Reply #246 on: 5 Apr 2013, 04:29 pm »
Has anyone been able to experiment with upgrading the power supply?  I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the LPS from MCRU http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/power-supply/593-linear-power-supply-for-dspeaker-anti-mode-20-dual-core-dac-.html, but was wondering if there might be something better.  Chris, I know you have a BPS that works well...do you know of anyone willing to put something like it together for others who may be interested?

My CIAudio PS is on its way. Will report back after I've had a chance to listen.

Guido F.

roscoeiii

« Reply #247 on: 5 Apr 2013, 04:36 pm »
My CIAudio PS is on its way. Will report back after I've had a chance to listen.

Guido F.

Look forward to your impressions. I am also very curious how the Red Wine Audio Black Lightning might work with the Dual Core.

roscoeiii

« Reply #248 on: 5 Apr 2013, 04:45 pm »
And whic of the CI Audio Power supplies did you get?

rodge827

« Reply #249 on: 6 Apr 2013, 12:01 am »

I'll look into it.
The guy who built mine has moved on to custom Harley engine rebuilding.
He is a Mercedes mechanic and is a master with engines.
Perhaps I could twist his arm into making some...Stay tuned...

Chris

cremar

« Reply #250 on: 6 Apr 2013, 12:10 am »
Thanks Chris! 

roscoeiii

« Reply #251 on: 6 Apr 2013, 12:21 am »
Yes, let us know about that.

rodge827

« Reply #252 on: 6 Apr 2013, 01:51 am »
Will do!

I'll call him tomorrow and report back.

Chris

Guidof

« Reply #253 on: 6 Apr 2013, 09:45 pm »
And whic of the CI Audio Power supplies did you get?

Dusty made one special order for 12V - DC.

Guido F.

roscoeiii

« Reply #254 on: 7 Apr 2013, 01:17 am »
Dusty made one special order for 12V - DC.

Guido F.

Good stuff. Look forward to your report on it.

AKLegal

« Reply #255 on: 7 Apr 2013, 02:43 pm »

I think he is right for the most part, although I am not sure why he thinks correction below 200hz should only be handled in the digital domain.  Maybe the resulting eq would be more precise I don't know.

From everything I have read the DC does not measure one sub at a time.  In fact in their literature they seem to think measuring all subs at once is the way to go even with the lowly 8033c  :nono:.  When i measure my room with REW I measure 1 channel at a time.  When I measure both channels at once I get a frequency response chart that simply doesn't jive with what I am hearing when I play real music (pretty much what Danny was saying).   I own one 8033C and it works wonderfully if used in on one sub but causes a big null when I try to use it for two.  I got another 8033 on the way and that should eliminate that issue. 

I do think Danny is partially wrong about devices like the anti-mode only working for one spot in the room.  It really depends upon how the user employs them.  If you treat your room first to get rid of the heavy bass modes and then employ these devices throughout your room to get rid of remaining modes then the positive effects of that will be heard throughout the room even though you are only measuring from one spot.  I measured several listening spots in my room after using a 8033c on one of my subs and the overall bass from my system had a flatter frequency response and a much better looking waterfall plot. 

I think it would be most beneficial to treat these devices like a electronic acoustical room treatment.  The focus should be on custom elimination of room bass modes.  Attach one of these to a particular sub and treat the two of them as one unit.  Move that sub to a problem corner, then measure and let it eliminate some modes.  Buy another device and repeat.  While you are measuring from only one spot the positive effects will be heard throughout the room in the same way the effects of each additional passive bass trap are heard.  I am in the middle of doing this now with some cheap 10 inch emotiva subs.  I will try to post some results after I get my second 8033c if work doesn't interfere too much.

neekomax

« Reply #256 on: 7 Apr 2013, 02:55 pm »
I think he is right for the most part, although I am not sure why he thinks correction below 200hz should only be handled in the digital domain.  Maybe the resulting eq would be more precise I don't know.

From everything I have read the DC does not measure one sub at a time.  In fact in their literature they seem to think measuring all subs at once is the way to go even with the lowly 8033c  :nono:.  When i measure my room with REW I measure 1 channel at a time.  When I measure both channels at once I get a frequency response chart that simply doesn't jive with what I am hearing when I play real music (pretty much what Danny was saying).   I own one 8033C and it works wonderfully if used in on one sub but causes a big null when I try to use it for two.  I got another 8033 on the way and that should eliminate that issue. 

I do think Danny is partially wrong about devices like the anti-mode only working for one spot in the room.  It really depends upon how the user employs them.  If you treat your room first to get rid of the heavy bass modes and then employ these devices throughout your room to get rid of remaining modes then the positive effects of that will be heard throughout the room even though you are only measuring from one spot.  I measured several listening spots in my room after using a 8033c on one of my subs and the overall bass from my system had a flatter frequency response and a much better looking waterfall plot. 

I think it would be most beneficial to treat these devices like a electronic acoustical room treatment.  The focus should be on custom elimination of room bass modes.  Attach one of these to a particular sub and treat the two of them as one unit.  Move that sub to a problem corner, then measure and let it eliminate some modes.  Buy another device and repeat.  While you are measuring from only one spot the positive effects will be heard throughout the room in the same way the effects of each additional passive bass trap are heard.  I am in the middle of doing this now with some cheap 10 inch emotiva subs.  I will try to post some results after I get my second 8033c if work doesn't interfere too much.

THANK YOU very much for addressing my question. My own ears seem to confirm what you're saying about the correction creating nulls when used on two bass sources. So I am going to try just using the parametric eqs along with REW measurements so that I can flatten out modes more judiciously by hand, as it were. I am also going to try and do a calibration with only one bass source playing, just to hear what result that gives when applied to both channels, so as to eliminate the time arrival factor that Danny mentioned. I know it won't be a super accurate correction, but it might be a better starting point that I can tweak with the parametric eq, rather than correcting the overcorrection caused by a stereo calibration.

sparky62

« Reply #257 on: 10 Apr 2013, 02:59 am »
I am just going through possible setups with the Dual Core and was wondering what others were doing about the drop in low end response following calibration? 
I'm experiencing a 6-8dB lowering of the bass range (below around 200Hz) following the typical calibration.  When using my main speaker only, it sounds like when you have one speaker out of phase from the other.  The is very little low end.  I have been try to use the House Curve to increase the low end to make things listenable.  I'm creating more questions then I have answers for.  I'm not feeling the love so many of you are expressing.  Any ideas would be welcomed.

rfluongo

« Reply #258 on: 10 Apr 2013, 11:15 am »
I am just going through possible setups with the Dual Core and was wondering what others were doing about the drop in low end response following calibration? 
I'm experiencing a 6-8dB lowering of the bass range (below around 200Hz) following the typical calibration.  When using my main speaker only, it sounds like when you have one speaker out of phase from the other.  The is very little low end.  I have been try to use the House Curve to increase the low end to make things listenable.  I'm creating more questions then I have answers for.  I'm not feeling the love so many of you are expressing.  Any ideas would be welcomed.

I don't have the info in front of me, but I recall as of the Feb 20 2013  firmware update there is the provision for an overall bass level adustment (not a house curve).  I'm going from memory, but check around and don't give up.  :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #259 on: 10 Apr 2013, 01:31 pm »
THANK YOU very much for addressing my question. My own ears seem to confirm what you're saying about the correction creating nulls when used on two bass sources. So I am going to try just using the parametric eqs along with REW measurements so that I can flatten out modes more judiciously by hand, as it were. I am also going to try and do a calibration with only one bass source playing, just to hear what result that gives when applied to both channels, so as to eliminate the time arrival factor that Danny mentioned. I know it won't be a super accurate correction, but it might be a better starting point that I can tweak with the parametric eq, rather than correcting the overcorrection caused by a stereo calibration.

I am confused. Why not use the DSP as a starting point and then apply the EQ on top of that? Anyway there are 4 settings you can save so easy to try a few approaches and see what works best.