RMAF 2013 Day 1 - Tyson and Pez Coverage LIVE

OzarkTom

Re: RMAF 2013 Day 1 - Tyson and Pez Coverage LIVE
« Reply #80 on: 13 Oct 2013, 02:09 am »

OK, I heard this system today and everyone making speakers that sell for over ~$25K should just acknowledge the vast superiority of TAD over their product and just throw in the towel.

And if you are lucky enough to be able to afford $30k speakers, just buy this system and know that the only people on earth that have a better system than you are the ones with larger and even more expensive TAD systems.

Edit... and everyone who builds less expensive gear should invest in a TAD system as a benchmark for their work.

Ok, that should be enough superlatives for one post...  :wink:

Hi Dave, have you had a chance to hear the Vughnn speakers yet? They are $15K and include plasma tweeters. Even Gordon Rankin said the sound was great.

The plasma tweeters are $8K for the pair and will be able to be matched up with any speakers.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #81 on: 13 Oct 2013, 02:15 am »
Yeah, the tone, coherence and detail in the mids and highs on the Vaughns were excellent and up there with anything else, the plasma tweets are awesome and very well integrated with the fostex wideband. They're not even close to the TADs in many other respects though...

OzarkTom

« Reply #82 on: 13 Oct 2013, 02:28 am »
Jim was afraid to take his Tower Line Arrays to the show because of the room acoustics in those small rooms. The Line Arrays are much better than those Triodes he has at the show.

fsimms

« Reply #83 on: 13 Oct 2013, 03:59 pm »
I love your reports! l had hoped that l could have gone in person this year, but your reports are the next best thing.  You are hitting all my favorite spots. :thumb:

Bob

vinyl_lady

« Reply #84 on: 13 Oct 2013, 05:37 pm »
The Daedalus / ModWright room is the best Ive heard yet and not by small margins. The new MW DAC is VERY nice along with with the new Daedalus .v2 speakers. Words just can't describe....

It doesn't matter how many times you have heard the Daedalus ModWright room in the past, the version 2 Daedalus speakers are a game changer. The soundstage is deeper and wider, improved low end response, great clarity and detail, more precise while keeping the accurate tonality that has always been a trademark of Lou's speakers. Check it out, you will be glad you did.

Laura

a.wayne

« Reply #85 on: 13 Oct 2013, 06:22 pm »
T&P great coverage ......  :thumb:

Robert DDD

• Industry Participant
« Reply #86 on: 29 Oct 2013, 04:14 pm »

Tyson Notes

General Room Notes – Room treatment!   Great improvement over the stupid teacups they used previously.  And the speakers look very cool in their “Disney’s Black Hole – Maximillian” way. 

Saint-Saens Violin & Piano – Top end is crystal clear, but a bit prominent and a bit light on the mids and upper bass. 

Handel Aria – Ah, beautiful vocal presentation.  Highs overpower the rest of the spectrum a bit when she really leans into a note.  But otherwise amazingly coherent.  The tweeter driver is pretty damn incredible.

Mahler Symphony – Good sense of space on the opening horn call.  Things flatten a bit when the whole orchestra comes in.  Lacking a bit in weight in the cellos and basses

Civil Wars – Again, good sense of space.  Good sound.  Just not blown away.  The guy’s backing vocal is pretty lightweight.  Honestly I think they just need a bigger driver.  I’ve heard that before and it sounded phenomenal.  I’m willing to bet that a good sub would make these guys into world beaters. 

Tom Waits – From the midrange on up, these guys sound great, they just need a bit more oomph in the bottom to match those spectacular highs.

Jason's Notes

Civil Wars deep deep deep imaging just like every other year. Probably one of the more consistent performers at this show year over year. And this year they seem to have even stepped it up a notch. The one thing I never really liked about the German physiks speakers is the overall tonal balance is a bit on the lean side. Overall though matched with the rights electronics I could see this
Problem being rectified.

Walk Away while better than the civil wars track tends to suffer much the same issue. Just not enough body for my tastes and therefore emotionality is lacking. A bit.... German sounding perhaps?

Hi Guys, I work for German Physiks and would like to make a few comments that I hope will not be seen as inappropriate.

Firstly many thanks for coming by our room.  You obviously spent some time there which is appreciated.

Room treatments:  We used the same treatments this year as last.  We used the "cups" only once and I agree they did not do anything.

Bass:  if you are seeking more bass the next model up but one, Borderland Mk IV,  has a 12-inch rather than an 8-inch woofer and that should do what you are after at the bottom end.

The driver you referred to as the tweeter is actually covering the entire range from 200Hz to 24,000Hz.  This is proprietary to German Physiks and is called the DDD driver.  It was inspired by Lincoln Walsh's design that was used in the legendary Ohm F loudspeakers, though the DDD driver is  a considerably more advanced driver.  More details are on our web site for those interested at www.german-physiks.com.

Also I should like to mention Purist Audio from Texas who supplied the cables for our room.

Many thanks,

Robert Kelly
German Physiks