Are You Using a DAC

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Are You Using a DAC
« on: 20 Jan 2009, 10:11 pm »
I was wondering how many Salk owners use a DAC with their systems. If you've tried a DAC, please share your feedback. I'm interested in knowing brands and models and assessments how how they affected CD playback.

Thanks,

Steve

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: Are You Using a DAC
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2009, 11:39 pm »
I am using an AVA Insight DAC with a Marantz CD5001 as the CD transport.  The DAC puts the music back in to the music.  There is a lot more detail with the DAC.  Without the DAC, the Marantz sounds veiled; a lot of the sounds just aren't there.  The DAC is very musical, and the Marantz is very transistor.  The AVA DAC has much better bass, too.  Everything sounds better through the DAC.  I haven't compared the AVA DAC to any other external DACs in my system.  Regardless, unless a listener has a super standalone CDP, a decent DAC with a separate transport makes a good, flexible combination that would provide vastly superior sound compared to a standalone mid-fi CDP, like a Rotel, or a budget CDP, like the Marantz CD5001, IMO.  There is an old thread on the AVA forum that compares an AVA DAC to a Cambridge 840C, a highly praised mid-fi CDP (approx. $1500.00).

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2009, 11:48 pm »
I've used high end CDP's, tried an MHDT (?) tube DAC, tried a NOS style DAC (can't remember the name), a stock PS Audio DLIII, an AVA Insight, and still use my Cullen modded PS Audio unit.  The Insight had more bass but wasn't as clear and detailed in the mid and upper frequencies as the Cullen unit.  I compared them side-by-side, not one then the other later on.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2009, 08:08 pm »
I've used high end CDP's, tried an MHDT (?) tube DAC, tried a NOS style DAC (can't remember the name), a stock PS Audio DLIII, an AVA Insight, and still use my Cullen modded PS Audio unit.  The Insight had more bass but wasn't as clear and detailed in the mid and upper frequencies as the Cullen unit.  I compared them side-by-side, not one then the other later on.

Out of curiosity, which mod level did you go with on the PS Audio unit? I checked the Cullen site and saw four options.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2009, 08:49 pm »
I went for the gold and got Level 4.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2009, 06:46 pm »
Here's a 24 bit/192 kHz dac (pretty bare but with a transformer for AC power) for $99 plus shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120371254164&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. I tried google but really couldn't come up with much on it.

Rocket

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2009, 09:45 am »
Hi,

I have salk sound ht2's at home.  I currently use a pioneer pds507 which has g & d clock and digital output board.  I've been using a perpetual technologies p3a with modwright level 2 modifications and the other day bought a bel canto dac 2. 

The dac 2 is perhaps a little better.  Both sound great and shouldn't cost too much.

Regards

Rod

sendler

Modified DEQ2496
« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2009, 12:07 pm »
I like a modified DEQ2496. Very transparent and revealing when running digital in. The digital eq is great to have as well.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DEQ2496.aspx

fluke242

« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2009, 05:56 pm »
I was planning to go with the Cullen Modified PS Audio DLIII, Level 4 myself.... Until I started talking with EJ at Wyred 4 Sound, they are doing their own DAC.  May be one stop shopping for me soon.  Since they have a new preamp (STP) and mono amps (SX-1000) that I want too.   :thumb: