BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

Marius

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #900 on: 27 Jun 2015, 12:11 pm »
HI James,

What exactly is new to this BHA-1? The balanced outputs have been on my BHA for over 2 years ? The picture shown here is exactly like
I have it in my setup since i got it....
If you've decided to add a balanced passthrough, that would be a much welcomed improvement , and great news.

Thanks,
Marius

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BHA-1 Headphone Amp Review

June 2015

The New Bryston BHA-1 Headphone Amp / Pre Amp: A Class of Its Own

Please see link below for full review.

http://notanotherhifiblog.blogspot.ca/2015/06/bryston-bha-1-headphone-amp-pre-amp.html

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #901 on: 27 Jun 2015, 12:39 pm »
Hi Marius

Yes the Balanced out was new to the reviewer but has been implemented for a while now.

james

jaylevine

« Reply #902 on: 27 Jun 2015, 02:21 pm »
Hi,

Have just purchased a 'new to me' BHA-1 unit to go with my Sennheisser HD800s. Prior set up was all HiFiMan rig, including their excellent EF5 Hybrid Tube amp.

All I can say is what a revelation. While my HD800s certainly sounded wonderful with the HiFiMan EF5, they simply sing and punch and reveal so much more from the same source with the Bryston BHA-1 (source BDA-1 + Sonos service).

Thanks!

Jay

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #903 on: 28 Jun 2015, 08:10 am »
I thought I had read that those balanced outputs where controlled by the volume knob on the BHA-1, correct?

What Marius was asking for (I believe) was a pass-through, uncontrolled by the volume knob of the BHA-1.

So, which are the current balanced outs on the BHA-1?

I'd love to one day see a BHA-2 with a bit more power, bypass outputs, and remote control.

Marius

« Reply #904 on: 28 Jun 2015, 08:40 am »
Check Grit, the current balanced outs are volume controlled by the BHA1.
Given the current lineup of Bryston amps, it would have been a very welcome feature if the BHA had bypassed outputs, enabling a fully balanced setup from the Bp26 to both headphone and speakers.

to Jay: my setup exactly, sounds stunning doesn't it? do you connect through balanced or rca? My hd800 is fed through the balanced outputs, but my BHA itself is fed from my tape out's so unbalanced. Sounds great. I liked the balanced connection to my BHA even better, but need that for my speaker setup.

Never got to try a balanced split cable (enabling the same balanced signal into the BHA and BP26 from my BDA), as opinions on that seem to vary.

A balanced passthrough on the BHA or double balanced out on the BP 26 would do miracles here.  Maybe someday..

Enjoy!
Marius

I thought I had read that those balanced outputs where controlled by the volume knob on the BHA-1, correct?

What Marius was asking for (I believe) was a pass-through, uncontrolled by the volume knob of the BHA-1.

So, which are the current balanced outs on the BHA-1?

I'd love to one day see a BHA-2 with a bit more power, bypass outputs, and remote control.

jaylevine

« Reply #905 on: 28 Jun 2015, 06:02 pm »
Hi,

Using the RCA stock cable for the HD800 and single ended between my BDA-1 and BHA-1 and SPIF coax between my SONOS and BDA-1.

I had XLR connectors that I thought I was going to use to connect BDA-->BHA but somewhere along the line of selling off my 4BSST2 and BP26/MP2 rig earlier this year I think I threw them into one of the boxes as part of the deal.....

I also use an RCA extension cable that I bought from Grado with my HD800 so I can reach my couch, where I spent most of my listening time in a horizontal position. I think I'd have to purchase a custom balanced cable to reach the couch comfortably.

That said, the present single ended set up is so unbelievable I can't imagine a dramatic improvement.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2015, 08:11 pm by jaylevine »

jaylevine

« Reply #906 on: 28 Jun 2015, 08:11 pm »
BTW: the BHA-1 runs pretty warm compared to either the BP26 before it or the BDA-1. In fact the unit runs hotter than my 4BSST2 ever ran when it was driving Magnepan 3.7 at high volume.

I've read on the thread that it does run warm, but mine is warm enough that I've moved my Mac Mini off the left hand side to ensure that the BHA-1 has enough open space on the top to cool. Wonder why Bryston didn't put a vented/slotted cover on the top?

Others experience the same, i.e., left side running pretty warm?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #907 on: 28 Jun 2015, 08:53 pm »
BTW: the BHA-1 runs pretty warm compared to either the BP26 before it or the BDA-1. In fact the unit runs hotter than my 4BSST2 ever ran when it was driving Magnepan 3.7 at high volume.

I've read on the thread that it does run warm, but mine is warm enough that I've moved my Mac Mini off the left hand side to ensure that the BHA-1 has enough open space on the top to cool. Wonder why Bryston didn't put a vented/slotted cover on the top?

Others experience the same, i.e., left side running pretty warm?

Hi

Good question - contrary to popular belief a solid top acts as a much better heat-sink than vented enclosures.

james

jaylevine

« Reply #908 on: 28 Jun 2015, 10:13 pm »
Hi

Good question - contrary to popular belief a solid top acts as a much better heat-sink than vented enclosures.

james

Humm, that is counter intuitive. I get the fact that a solid top pressed against a hot component would be a better heat sink vs a slotted top (more surface area to draw heat away).

However if there is an air gap between the component and the top of the unit, wouldn't a slotted top allow heat to escape the unit more effectively, instead of keeping it trapped inside the unit?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #909 on: 28 Jun 2015, 10:19 pm »
Humm, that is counter intuitive. I get the fact that a solid top pressed against a hot component would be a better heat sink vs a slotted top (more surface area to draw heat away).

However if there is an air gap between the component and the top of the unit, wouldn't a slotted top allow heat to escape the unit more effectively, instead of keeping it trapped inside the unit?

Thats not what the engineers tell me.

james

BrysTony

« Reply #910 on: 29 Jun 2015, 03:25 pm »
James,

I have not complained about the heat issues with the BHA-1 because I solved it by making it the only component on a shelf with plenty of air space around it.  The fact is that it does run hot and despite what the Bryston engineers say I believe the solid top is the issue.  The solid top is OK on the BDP and BDA but the amplifier in the BHA is another story.  Other Bryston amplifiers have a vented top as well as heat sink fins for cooling.  I have owned and operated component audio systems since 1963 and the only component that I have had shut down because of heat is my current BHA-1.  There seems to be a significant number of users that have brought up heat as an issue so perhaps more questions are in order.

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #911 on: 29 Jun 2015, 03:48 pm »
James,

I have not complained about the heat issues with the BHA-1 because I solved it by making it the only component on a shelf with plenty of air space around it.  The fact is that it does run hot and despite what the Bryston engineers say I believe the solid top is the issue.  The solid top is OK on the BDP and BDA but the amplifier in the BHA is another story.  Other Bryston amplifiers have a vented top as well as heat sink fins for cooling.  I have owned and operated component audio systems since 1963 and the only component that I have had shut down because of heat is my current BHA-1.  There seems to be a significant number of users that have brought up heat as an issue so perhaps more questions are in order.

Tony

OK I will try and get an answer from engineering.  The BHA-1 is a pure Class A amplifier so it will run hot.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #912 on: 29 Jun 2015, 03:52 pm »
Not to be disputing anyone here, but from thermodynamics standpoint (in a hand-waving way), the ability of a system generating (pr accumulating) heat will be dependent on the temperature of the medium it is placed in. In other words, the surroundings. The equations are non-linear which means a raise in temperature of a few degrees C will cause unproportionally higher temperature of the system and inhibit it's convection ability.

In the case of my BHA-1, during winter, it is as cold as the air in the room. During summer, it is way hotter than the air in the room. This is due to the mentioned non-linearity.

It doesn't really help the discussion but it's interesting I think.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #913 on: 29 Jun 2015, 04:21 pm »
Hi Folks,

From the designer:

We have tried a vented top - with no overall improvement - the unit eventually achieves the same final temperature.

Stu Taylor

PS - if it is running too hot you can adjust the bias down a little.

More input:

Vents won't help. We tried that on the SP-2 and it made things worse instead of better. Vents these days can only be 1/16" wide, and that does not allow any airflow, it just reduces the area on the case and increases heat. The present production uses a bit less bias current, and run somewhat cooler.

CWR

jaylevine

« Reply #914 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:43 pm »
I guess the bottom line is the unit has a thermal protection circuit and a 20 year warranty, so the concern is real but academic? I must say though that it was hot enough for me to move my MacMini off the top of the unit as much out of concern for the MacMini as the BHA-1.

Should I be worried? I guess I haven't had a piece of pure Class A kit in my inventory so maybe never realized how hot these things really run.

Thanks

Jay

larevoj

« Reply #915 on: 3 Jul 2015, 02:58 am »
Hi James,

ST mentioned you can adjust the bias down. How? I have seen clear instructions on the SST amplifiers and that's easy to follow. Is there similar instructions for the BHA-1?  :D

Thx!
John

R. Daneel

« Reply #916 on: 3 Jul 2015, 05:23 am »
The BHA-1, even at it's highest temperature, is but mild compared to tube class-A amplifiers I have so I find it quite acceptable. An amplifier like this should be the only compoment on the shelf, preferrably on the top shelf and with nothing but air above it and as little as possible components that generate heat below it.

People usually place the amplifiers at the bottom because it is the heaviest component but that is the usually the wrong thing to do.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #917 on: 3 Jul 2015, 08:41 am »
Hi James,

ST mentioned you can adjust the bias down. How? I have seen clear instructions on the SST amplifiers and that's easy to follow. Is there similar instructions for the BHA-1?  :D

Thx!
John

Hi

Yes it is fairly easy. Email Mike. Mpicket@bryston.com

larevoj

« Reply #918 on: 4 Jul 2015, 11:57 am »
Hi

Yes it is fairly easy. Email Mike. Mpicket@bryston.com

Thx!

jaylevine

« Reply #919 on: 5 Jul 2015, 08:32 pm »
Hi Folks,

From the designer:

We have tried a vented top - with no overall improvement - the unit eventually achieves the same final temperature.

Stu Taylor

PS - if it is running too hot you can adjust the bias down a little.

More input:

Vents won't help. We tried that on the SP-2 and it made things worse instead of better. Vents these days can only be 1/16" wide, and that does not allow any airflow, it just reduces the area on the case and increases heat. The present production uses a bit less bias current, and run somewhat cooler.

CWR

Well this is strange....when i run the amp with the gain switch set to low it runs very hot. However when I run the amp on high gain, runs downright cool?

Why would this be?