BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

santacore

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #760 on: 28 Dec 2013, 06:24 am »
I've really been enjoying my BHA-1 and my Audeze LCD-3's lately. Running balanced from in through out. Earlier in the year, I would have gladly sold my LCD-3's, because they just never felt like they were running at full steam. The Bryston is the first amp to wake them up and show me what they can really do.  :thumb:

schugh

« Reply #761 on: 30 Dec 2013, 01:10 am »
I've really been enjoying my BHA-1 and my Audeze LCD-3's lately. Running balanced from in through out. Earlier in the year, I would have gladly sold my LCD-3's, because they just never felt like they were running at full steam. The Bryston is the first amp to wake them up and show me what they can really do.  :thumb:

I couldn't agree more when I heard this combo at my dealer.
It was as if I was hearing my LCD3s for the first time in 8 months and I finally understood what all the fuss was about.

Still waiting for my BHA-1 though. 3 weeks now. I hope it makes it in this week.

-- Sanjay

R. Daneel

« Reply #762 on: 30 Dec 2013, 04:09 pm »
Hi fellas!

Just out of curiosity, which S/N of BHA-1 do you have? Mine is slightly above 300 and I got it pretty early. Upon my order, it took six weeks for it to arrive and when it did, I was most impressed to see the manufacturing date was two weeks after the order has been placed. They told me they were flodded with orders which I have no doubts about.

They also informed me they were planning on using a different slope for the volume control and that they would make it more linear. I am not sure why because I think the volume control has been implemented really well already.

Cheers!
Antun

Vipers

« Reply #763 on: 1 Jan 2014, 05:15 pm »
Quoting Tom Hulce as W.A.Mozart in M.Forman's movie "Amadeus" - "I wish I had three heads" ;)
Nice collection - I am interested in BHA-1/LCD-XC combination as well: looking for closed type HP.

I've spent an hour or so listening to the LCD-X's and XC's and I actually seem to prefer the LCD-XC's which really surprised me to be honest as I always though that an open back design was the way to go, I don't know how Audeze have achieved what they have but the XC's sound more open than the X's to me, very odd.

Now all I need is for my new demo BHA-1 to arrive to try them together, definitely got very high hopes for that combination :)

Zolty

« Reply #764 on: 1 Jan 2014, 06:50 pm »
Please do not tell me LCD-XC are good....
... I was so hoping closed type Audeze's will not be good enough to tempt me...
... and now... 1800 EUR started slowly moving to my wallet's "Exit" sign ;)

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #765 on: 1 Jan 2014, 10:28 pm »
I love my BHA-1 and Audeze LCD-2 combo. Amazing! Makes my tap my toes again while listening.

bjski

« Reply #766 on: 2 Jan 2014, 01:18 am »

I am demoing the Audeze LCD-3. I am using them unbalanced. What improvements did find going to the balanced mode?
Thanks,
BJ

schugh

« Reply #767 on: 2 Jan 2014, 05:01 am »
How long did you guys have to wait for your amp to arrive?
I know it's the holidays but it's been almost a month since I placed my order.
I've been at home for a week and was hoping they would have shown up.
With my luck they will probably show up on Monday when I go back to work and I got a super busy January coming up.  :roll:

-- Sanjay

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #768 on: 2 Jan 2014, 11:57 am »
How long did you guys have to wait for your amp to arrive?
I know it's the holidays but it's been almost a month since I placed my order.
I've been at home for a week and was hoping they would have shown up.
With my luck they will probably show up on Monday when I go back to work and I got a super busy January coming up.  :roll:

-- Sanjay

Hi Sanjay

Where are you located and whom did you order through - I will check.

james

schugh

« Reply #769 on: 2 Jan 2014, 05:45 pm »
Hi Sanjay

Where are you located and whom did you order through - I will check.

james

Hi James, I ordered from the wonderful guys at Audio Ark in Edmonton.
One of my two favourite stores in the city. :)

Thanks,

-- Sanjay

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #770 on: 2 Jan 2014, 07:51 pm »
I am demoing the Audeze LCD-3. I am using them unbalanced. What improvements did find going to the balanced mode?
Thanks,
BJ

I'm running Audeze LCD-2's via the balanced output. Due to the way a balanced connection works, the headphones sound louder than the unbalanced connection at the same volume level. I did not notice a sound quality difference, but I'm also using unbalanced inputs into the BHA-1.

If the cabling isn't introducing any noise in the signal AND the balanced/unbalanced circuitry is equal, balanced connections shouldn't really change the quality of the sound (from what I've read).

rob80b

« Reply #771 on: 3 Jan 2014, 10:08 pm »
Hi Guys

I’ve been really enjoying chilling out with BHA-1/BCD-1 combo over the holidays and just added a pair of Sennheiser’s HD700 to the roster.

Unfortunately I’m back to using one of my other head-amps for unbalanced sources, such as watching movies for example until I get a balanced cable for the HD700 to take advantage of the additional gain and even that may not be enough, and vinyl is out of the question with volume maxed out.
Anyone else having the same dilemma?

The 2BLP/.4 combo works great or even the 2BLP off the BHA-1 but it would be nice to to simplify the set-up and just use the BHA-1.
Or maybe just use the .4 as a source for  additional gain between the tape outs of the main pre/avr and the BHA-1. (actually I haven't tried that.)   :duh: , maybe not an ideal solution but one none the less!! :scratch:

I'm sure Bryton's next pre will have a balanced tape out, HT pass through with bass management!! (right..James?) :green:

rob80b

« Reply #772 on: 4 Jan 2014, 12:07 am »
Or maybe just use the .4 as a source for  additional gain between the tape outs of the main pre/avr and the BHA-1. (actually I haven't tried that.)   :duh: , maybe not an ideal solution but one none the less!! :scratch:...........

Ok, using the stereo outs of the AVP to an input on the .4 Pre and then the pre-amp outs of the .4 to the unbalanced line in on the BHA-1, with the gain fully open  on the .4 has given me about a 6dB increase in volume. This brings the levels very close to the BCD-1s balanced outputs to the BHA-1.
Again not an ideal solution but it works........and I can  now also hook up even more sources to the BHA-1 if need be.

dodgy

« Reply #773 on: 16 Jan 2014, 07:46 am »
Hi James

I have been really enjoying my BHA-2 for three months now. I just went to turn it on and the power LED stays red and there is no output. Checked the fuse and it is ok - any insights to the death of it?

Being in NZ, is this a return to base in Canada? I am kinda hoping that I do not have to wait for the distributor to wake up, send it to Aus, then to Canada and then back by Xmas...

Also, I am loving the BDA-2, but due to a muckup with the retailler, they sent me a black when I had ordered a silver and I would really like a matching unit to the BHA. Is it possible for me to retrofit this myself?

I am really enjoying both units BTW (matched up with HD800, Valhalla throughout).

cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #774 on: 16 Jan 2014, 10:13 am »
Hi James

I have been really enjoying my BHA-2 for three months now. I just went to turn it on and the power LED stays red and there is no output. Checked the fuse and it is ok - any insights to the death of it?

Being in NZ, is this a return to base in Canada? I am kinda hoping that I do not have to wait for the distributor to wake up, send it to Aus, then to Canada and then back by Xmas...

Also, I am loving the BDA-2, but due to a muckup with the retailler, they sent me a black when I had ordered a silver and I would really like a matching unit to the BHA. Is it possible for me to retrofit this myself?

I am really enjoying both units BTW (matched up with HD800, Valhalla throughout).

cheers

Hi

It sounds like it may just have to be re-biased which the distributor can do quite easily.  Changing over is not something you can do easily but I can have Mike Pickett send you instructions if you want to give it a try.

james

gkoop

« Reply #775 on: 20 Jan 2014, 06:14 pm »
Hi All! Great thread.

I think I want to put a BHA1 after a preamp, but worry about having two volume controls in the path.

Seems like most people are attaching the BHA1 directly to a source and some use it as a preamp.  I can certainly appreciate how that puts the headphones as close to the source as possible.

But for me, since I have four sources and enjoy using a regular preamp for source selection and (remote) volume control, it really is tempting to place the BHA1 after the preamp, driven by outputs that follow the gain stage and volume control.

I wish there was a switch to take the volume control out of the path on the BHA1.  Would this feature be possible to add?  Am I the only one who would enjoy this additional flexibility in hook up options?

Without a full bypass, what would be the recommended setting to place the volume control knob so as to reduce its influence as much as possible?  All the way up?  Noon?  Something else?

Thanks!

dodgy

« Reply #776 on: 21 Jan 2014, 01:19 am »
Hi

It sounds like it may just have to be re-biased which the distributor can do quite easily.  Changing over is not something you can do easily but I can have Mike Pickett send you instructions if you want to give it a try.

james

Hi James

I tried it again yesterday and  now it works fine... If it happens again, I will arrange sending it back to the distributor for a checkup.

thanks

Simon

rob80b

« Reply #777 on: 21 Jan 2014, 10:56 pm »
Hi All! Great thread.

I think I want to put a BHA1 after a preamp, but worry about having two volume controls in the path.

Seems like most people are attaching the BHA1 directly to a source and some use it as a preamp.  I can certainly appreciate how that puts the headphones as close to the source as possible.

But for me, since I have four sources and enjoy using a regular preamp for source selection and (remote) volume control, it really is tempting to place the BHA1 after the preamp, driven by outputs that follow the gain stage and volume control.

I wish there was a switch to take the volume control out of the path on the BHA1.  Would this feature be possible to add?  Am I the only one who would enjoy this additional flexibility in hook up options?

Without a full bypass, what would be the recommended setting to place the volume control knob so as to reduce its influence as much as possible?  All the way up?  Noon?  Something else?

Thanks!

See my above post but depending on the output of your pre and if you wish to use it's remote volume control it may be as simple as using the BHA-1 at full gain, I did this with a Bryton .4 pre (no remote) I have on hand with no problems, I did gain the ability to switch between multiple sources and bit of additional gain for low output single ended sources.
The only hurdle is if you switch between inputs on the BHA-1 and if some are direct from sources (especially balanced), just remember to lower the volume on the BHA-1.

If you decide you do not want/need remote volume and your pre has a tape out, use that and then control the volume from the BHA-1, I've tried both set-ups.

rob80b

« Reply #778 on: 29 Jan 2014, 06:53 pm »
Hi Guys

I’ve been really enjoying chilling out with BHA-1/BCD-1 combo over the holidays and just added a pair of Sennheiser’s HD700 to the roster.

Unfortunately I’m back to using one of my other head-amps for unbalanced sources, such as watching movies for example until I get a balanced cable for the HD700 to take advantage of the additional gain and even that may not be enough, and vinyl is out of the question with volume maxed out.
Anyone else having the same dilemma?

Low gain from AVP Solved!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob80b View Post

Teaching an old dog new tricks,

After all this time it just dawned on me to use the variable stereo mix outs (:duh:) on the AVP, this also allows me to also use the optional 0-10dB gain (which is bypassed with the Rec out which was what I’ve been using) for each source, giving me maybe an additional 14dBs of gain. :idea:

(anyone like to buy a Bryston .4/2BLP pro)  8)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/560499/new-headphone-amplifier-from-bryston/1380#post_10217108

santacore

« Reply #779 on: 30 Jan 2014, 03:50 pm »
What are you finding are you favorite headphones with the BHA-1? I really love the Audeze LCD-3 combo, but for some reason my inner ear starts itching badly every time I listen for more then 15 minutes. Because of this, I'm finding it very hard to enjoy the rig. I'm starting to look into other phone options because of this issue.