BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

rob80b

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #740 on: 9 Dec 2013, 03:39 pm »
  I have those same 701 AKG phones. So all I need to do is cut off the phone plug and wire a Nutric balanced connector to get the balanced performance from the phones?  :scratch:

Yep! The grounds of the left and right drivers are only joined at the 1/4" plug, but check the polarity of the right side by removing the grill so as not to wire them out of phase.
(the color of the wires may not be the same as shown)

« Last Edit: 9 Dec 2013, 10:55 pm by rob80b »

Zolty

« Reply #741 on: 14 Dec 2013, 01:33 am »
After few weeks out of the country, I returned and listened to music from CDP-1/BHA-1/HD800.
Must say that despite using non-balanced connections (both inputs and outputs of BHA-1) I enjoyed it a lot.
Funnily enough - I enjoyed it more now, than few weeks when I was testing some XLR IC. Must have forgotten already how much better it sounds when balanced. Anyway ordered (based on opinions only - without a chance of listening to ) balanced headphones' cable from Toxic Cables. When it arrives next step will be interconnect, then power cords.
One thing that came out - HD 800 are very open, i.e. "loud" outside. I am planning to buy additional headphones - this time closed design.
Would you have any suggestions - something that would match the system?

R. Daneel

« Reply #742 on: 14 Dec 2013, 11:50 am »
After few weeks out of the country, I returned and listened to music from CDP-1/BHA-1/HD800.
Must say that despite using non-balanced connections (both inputs and outputs of BHA-1) I enjoyed it a lot.
Funnily enough - I enjoyed it more now, than few weeks when I was testing some XLR IC. Must have forgotten already how much better it sounds when balanced. Anyway ordered (based on opinions only - without a chance of listening to ) balanced headphones' cable from Toxic Cables. When it arrives next step will be interconnect, then power cords.
One thing that came out - HD 800 are very open, i.e. "loud" outside. I am planning to buy additional headphones - this time closed design.

The HD800 has noticeably more sound coming out of it than other open headphones. This is because of the vented diaphragm design and the silver acoustic membrane on the outside which dissipates energy. The sound stage would collapse without it and it was designed in a way that the air surrounding the earpieces from the outside is also responsible for sound stage recreation.

It would be exceedingly difficult to find a suitable replacement in a closed pair of headphones. Out of the cheaper alternatives, AKG K550 are really very good but then, they are not in this class.

R. Daneel

« Reply #743 on: 14 Dec 2013, 11:59 am »
Hello!

I have a question for you guys on the gain switch. I have a Sennheiser HD800 and I have notices some differences in terms of tonal qualities between the low and high gain settings. The difference in loudness is obvious, of course, but long-term use of this amplifier has revealed that these two settings don't sound exactly the same. The low setting is slightly more calm in it's presentation. Quite smooth but perhaps a little bit loose-footed in the low register. The high setting loses a little bit of the subtlety in contrast but offers a slightly tighter bottom end.

Now, I am wondering if someone else has noticed any of these differences.

The HD800 is somewhat unique in that it is very consistent at any volume and I can't say their presentation changes when listening to them at a low or moderate levels.

If I am correct, then perhaps someone could offer an explanation. James perhas?

Cheers!
Antun

rob80b

« Reply #744 on: 14 Dec 2013, 12:14 pm »
Hello!

I have a question for you guys on the gain switch. I have a Sennheiser HD800 and I have notices some differences in terms of tonal qualities between the low and high gain settings. ....................................... .........................

Cheers!
Antun

Was just asking myself the exact same thing, a few decibels  can make the world of difference so I’m not too sure if it’s not just psycho-acoustic or a change in the impedance curve due to the resisters. One would invariable need to measure the voltage output to be sure, but the sound signature does appear “not to be” as radically different when adjusting the volume control to match levels by ear.

Robert

rob80b

« Reply #745 on: 14 Dec 2013, 12:23 pm »

My AKGs K701/K501s are notorious for leaking sound, like listening to speakers at a low level.
Best to pop over at http://www.head-fi.org/ if you have not done so already or www.headfonia.com

The HD800 has noticeably more sound coming out of it than other open headphones. This is because of the vented diaphragm design and the silver acoustic membrane on the outside which dissipates energy. The sound stage would collapse without it and it was designed in a way that the air surrounding the earpieces from the outside is also responsible for sound stage recreation.

It would be exceedingly difficult to find a suitable replacement in a closed pair of headphones. Out of the cheaper alternatives, AKG K550 are really very good but then, they are not in this class.

Ditto

rob80b

« Reply #746 on: 14 Dec 2013, 02:06 pm »

Hi Zolty

Personally I haven’t noticed a radical difference one way or the other, but all my phones, AKG701(balanced) /K501s, Senn HD580/600 (balanced) and GradonSR325is are now almost all considered old school, like my ears  :( but each one has improved with the BHA-1. :)
Have a pair of Sennheiser HD700s on route, although it may be a while before I get them balanced but if and when I rewire them I’m curious if I’ll notice more of a difference.

But overall it’s been a month now since acquiring the BHA-1, each phone coming across distinctly different from any previous head-amp I’ve had, my appreciation just seems to get better and better with each listen.

rob80b

« Reply #747 on: 14 Dec 2013, 07:10 pm »
Hello!

I have a question for you guys on the gain switch. I have a Sennheiser HD800 and I have notices some differences in terms of tonal qualities between the low and high gain settings. ............
Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

Did some more extensive listening, if you go from high gain to low gain and adjust the volume, psychoacoustically the change appears less.  I'm now more convinced there is no difference, it's just that the volume control of the BHA-1 acts slightly different from what we are normally used to and needs more travel when adjusting for unity gain.
As I mentioned, a few dBs can make a huge perceptible difference.

Robert

Zolty

« Reply #748 on: 14 Dec 2013, 10:20 pm »
>rob80b: Thanks for the information - I'll continue reading/searching through head-fi.

Regarding the difference between hi/low gain - well, I am not an experienced listener, most probably half-deaf (due to age and noisy work environment), but I my impressions are same as R.Daneel's:

On high gain, even with voulume turned down to more-or-less match low gain levels HD800 sound more dynamic, agressive, even harsh. Too dynamic, too harsh for my taste. Thats still with non-balanced connections as mentioned earlier.
It does not happen with low gain - even at max volume level, it is much calmer, smoother sound. Perfect match for me.
More like class A amp sound.
Well - maybe that's the case: not sure if BHA-1 goes class A all the way to max, or maybe it switches to A/B above certain levels (high gain)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #749 on: 14 Dec 2013, 10:49 pm »
>rob80b: Thanks for the information - I'll continue reading/searching through head-fi.

Regarding the difference between hi/low gain - well, I am not an experienced listener, most probably half-deaf (due to age and noisy work environment), but I my impressions are same as R.Daneel's:

On high gain, even with voulume turned down to more-or-less match low gain levels HD800 sound more dynamic, agressive, even harsh. Too dynamic, too harsh for my taste. Thats still with non-balanced connections as mentioned earlier.
It does not happen with low gain - even at max volume level, it is much calmer, smoother sound. Perfect match for me.
More like class A amp sound.
Well - maybe that's the case: not sure if BHA-1 goes class A all the way to max, or maybe it switches to A/B above certain levels (high gain)?

Hi

Class A fully discrete throughout.

james

rob80b

« Reply #750 on: 14 Dec 2013, 11:40 pm »
Hi

Class A fully discrete throughout.

james

Of that we've had no doubt!  :D

rob80b

« Reply #751 on: 14 Dec 2013, 11:57 pm »

On high gain, even with voulume turned down to more-or-less match low gain levels HD800 sound more dynamic, agressive, even harsh. Too dynamic, too harsh for my taste. ..............

Have to double check the schematics to see where the the attenuation takes place, but there is the possibility in some cases where the source signal may be fairly hot causing earlier distortion on high gain at the pre or amp section of a setup. The only reason I say this is that I also use a 2BLP off the balance pre-ouputs a to power some phones and when I originally got the BHA-1 I sort of put it through a small torture test, I could get the headphone outs on the BHA-1 to distort before the 2BLP headphone output when set at unity gain, mind you that was way above safe listening with inefficient phones. All the same it may be perceptible in some cases and using the low gain keeps things within acceptable limits.

R. Daneel

« Reply #752 on: 15 Dec 2013, 05:26 pm »
Thanks for your comments fellas!

One thing about me you need to know is that I never do A-B test. Unless it was a huge difference, I could rarely discern the subtleties in music while A-B testing so all my tests are done with long listening sessions. I usually listen at very comfortable levels and these levels are more or less always the same. I can say with certainty that there is a slight difference between the two gain stages.

It is possible this happens only in interaction with HD800 for example, I really don't know. But the difference isn't drastic at all.

I will have to say that BHA-1 has slightly too much volume with an HD800. At low gain, I rarely listen to music with the volume control turned above 10 o'clock. As you guys know, the volume has a rather steep volume increase from minimum to 9 o'clock and then a very mild increase in between 9 and 15 o'clock which allows for fine adjustment. With HD800 I would consider 10 o'clock at low gain setting to be loud enough with average recordings and HD800 isn't the most sensitive of headphones to begin with so perhaps a little less gain would be welcome in order to utilize the wide middle range of the volume control more fully. It is just an opinion.

See? These forums are a bad idea. Everyone has a right to an opinion and that includes me! :green:

rob80b

« Reply #753 on: 15 Dec 2013, 05:28 pm »

Hi Zolty

That's quite possible and not your imagination.
Just to give an example, I have a pre-amp on hand that I’ve incorporated in my HT setup for bass management but the output of the BCD-1 is too high causing a similar situation. The use of a pair of 12dB in-line attenuators worked wonders where I can now increase the loudness way past the non-attenuated configuration,  "even at max volume level, it is much calmer, smoother sound" .

rob80b

« Reply #754 on: 15 Dec 2013, 06:13 pm »
Hi Zolty

One more thing, you can reduce the output of the BCD-1 by 3dBs by programming it with code 253, which may help a bit.
http://www.bryston.com/PDF/Manuals/300014%5BBCD1%5D.pdf  page 3

I'm assuming you're now going fully balanced?
Well, my first post on this forum - although I've been reading this thread for a while.

A few weeks ago I bought BHA-1 and paired it with HD-800. Sound was so nice (although not yet perfect - working on cables), that I jumped head forward and bought second-hand BCD-1. I am sold to Bryston sound, and will be more when I switch cabling from RCA to balanced on both ends of BHA-1.

Just two things bother me - after reading how powerful BHA-1 is, I am finding myself listening with volume at 4-5 o'clock (un-balanced connections and with low gain setting). Am I deaf (might be the case ;) ), or is there something wrong with my BHA-1, or maybe that's how it is?
I know that high gain would help, but... unfortunately I can hear the SQ difference between high and low gain settings.

BTW Brystons are great sounding equipment, I wish I had suitable room to use pre+power amps+ some decent (ATC?) speakers.

I also recall when I first setup the BHA-1 I commented on the low gain with single ended inputs, I also remember that if I did turn the volume to max not only did the volume increase disproportionately but also distortion. :scratch:, so there may be something to my theory about overloading the amp section.
When using balanced inputs and because of the increased overall gain I assume most are using the low gain setting which obviously is not problematic.

rob80b

« Reply #755 on: 15 Dec 2013, 06:28 pm »
Hi Antun

Did some more extensive listening, if you go from high gain to low gain and adjust the volume, psychoacoustically the change appears less.  I'm now more convinced there is no difference, it's just that the volume control of the BHA-1 acts slightly different from what we are normally used to and needs more travel when adjusting for unity gain.
As I mentioned, a few dBs can make a huge perceptible difference.

Robert

I may have contradicted myself saying I heard a difference and now no difference with the gain setting on the BHA-1, but I've been trying different combination since acquiring the BHA-1 so I may indeed have the BCD-1's "-3dB " option currently engaged ', I'll check later.

Zolty

« Reply #756 on: 15 Dec 2013, 10:35 pm »
rob80b: great idea about reducing BCD output and comparing. I played with the "253 code", but never really compared if the hi/low gain issue changes with reduced output. In fact coming from the theory that attenuator may impact BCD sound quality I left it at code "250".

Regarding increasing volume to max - I can hear slight "click" in sound when knob is about 5 degrees from max position, and at that moment voulume "jumps up" a bit. No like a gradual change, seems like attenuator contacts might have gotten dirty.

Anyway - I'll be home mid-January, by that time my balanced Silver Widow Toxic Cable will have arrived, so I'll test the issue a bit more.

mkaiser

« Reply #757 on: 16 Dec 2013, 03:48 pm »

Actually, the HD800's use the largest drivers than all other headphones and that is probably the notice of more sound.  :thumb:

Vipers

« Reply #758 on: 27 Dec 2013, 09:54 am »
Hi Guy's,

I was just wondering if anyone had tried the new Audeze LCD-X and XC headphones on the BHA-1 yet?

I've got quite high hopes as the LCD-2's and 3's sound amazing on the BHA-1, I would say the perfect partners, and I have just got my LCD-X's and XC's for demo but unfortunately I have just sold my BHA-1 from demo so am waiting for a new one to come over, bad timing or what, they certainly look the part though -

The Full Audeze Range!

I blame the growth of this room on the BHA-1 as it was this amp that got me captivated by headphones, damn you Bryston :wink:

Zolty

« Reply #759 on: 27 Dec 2013, 09:12 pm »
Quoting Tom Hulce as W.A.Mozart in M.Forman's movie "Amadeus" - "I wish I had three heads" ;)
Nice collection - I am interested in BHA-1/LCD-XC combination as well: looking for closed type HP.