BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

rob80b

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #720 on: 28 Nov 2013, 02:00 pm »
Another perspective, I’ll give a detail comparison later.
The short of it though, the BHA-1 has little to fear but the .4 pre with the 2BLP pro does have it’s merits and the BHA-1 standalone or controlling the 2BLP pro are IMHO tied with inefficient phones.

schugh

« Reply #721 on: 29 Nov 2013, 11:33 pm »
I just ordered mine in silver. Can't wait until it comes here.
I've been using the WooAudio WA7 which is also a very nice amp.
I saw the Fosgate Signature amp at a local dealer and was caught the fever to try something new.  :)
I went and listened to it today but over the week since I saw the Fosgate and today when I listened to it
some sanity was creeping in slowly.
So I decided I really should try the Bryston. So I first stopped off at another local dealer and plugged in my Audeze LCD-3.

Honestly, I am not the most discerning of listeners and most of the time I have a hard time identifying differences in equipment unless they are big differences and easy to hear. Well, this was one of those cases. The experience was really like hearing my Audeze headphones for the first time. It's as if I had not heard them to their full capability before. I tried several CDs and each time the experience was really good.

Still I thought I should listen to the Fosgate and so I went to the other dealer and listened. They were very good. But it didn't take me long to conclude that I couldn't identify what if anything made them more special then my Woo WA7. There was a similarity to the sound. The Bryston on the other hand though made me really feel I am in the high end of things listening to headphones. And I've been listening to headphones since the early days of Head-Fi for 15 years or more.

Can't wait till they come. Now to find a buyer for the WooAudio WA7 which I still do like and it really is very nice looking, but I need the money to pay for the Bryston.  :D

-- Sanjay

R. Daneel

« Reply #722 on: 30 Nov 2013, 06:05 pm »
Hello!

So the BHA-1 is a good preamplifier in your opinion?

I am considering of buying an amplifier but now I wonder if perhaps I should buy a power amplifier instead of an integrated one because perhaps the BHA-1 could be used as a preamplifier.

How is the gain like? Do you have to turn the BHA-1 all the way up or is it too loud even at 9 o'clock?

Cheers!
Antun

rob80b

« Reply #723 on: 30 Nov 2013, 08:16 pm »
Hi Antun

Technically IMHO it is very very good and perfect for a minimalist setup.
The amount of gain will be dependent on the source, headphone/speaker efficiency and also if you are going balanced or unbalanced.
So yes depending on ones set-up, 9 o’clock maybe loud and with another combination one may find that the volume control will be maxed out, the later I would believe being applicable to headphones only.
A separate pre and amp offers the most flexibility, not necessarily always the best sound but more often than not, yes.

Robert

R. Daneel

« Reply #724 on: 1 Dec 2013, 10:46 am »
Hi Antun

Technically IMHO it is very very good and perfect for a minimalist setup.
The amount of gain will be dependent on the source, headphone/speaker efficiency and also if you are going balanced or unbalanced.
So yes depending on ones set-up, 9 o’clock maybe loud and with another combination one may find that the volume control will be maxed out, the later I would believe being applicable to headphones only.
A separate pre and amp offers the most flexibility, not necessarily always the best sound but more often than not, yes.

Robert

That's great Robert, thanks!

The one thing I think might be a problem is the lack of MUTE button on the BHA-1.. In other words, if I want to listen only to the speakers, I have to unplug the headphones. I am still not sure whether I want to do that

rob80b

« Reply #725 on: 1 Dec 2013, 03:10 pm »
That's great Robert, thanks!

The one thing I think might be a problem is the lack of MUTE button on the BHA-1.. In other words, if I want to listen only to the speakers, I have to unplug the headphones. I am still not sure whether I want to do that

Yes problematic  :scratch:,  although most systems do mute the speaker output when headphones are engaged, and if you want to listen to the headphones you've to turn off the amp to the speakers, less problematic.
Just remember the BHA-1 was designed as a Head-amp first, the pre outs came as an extra after the initial production.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #726 on: 1 Dec 2013, 08:56 pm »
hi, Rob!

do you miss a remote for your BHA-1? would you say that this is a necessary part??

thanks,

al.

rob80b

« Reply #727 on: 1 Dec 2013, 09:42 pm »
hi, Rob!

do you miss a remote for your BHA-1? would you say that this is a necessary part??

thanks,

al.

Hi Alex

My headphone set-up is right behind me, so no; but I would if I had to get up  if it was across the room, how we've gotten spoiled. Next we'll be seeing all our music digitally stored so one never needs to get up to change a disc/record, mark my word. :lol:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #728 on: 1 Dec 2013, 09:57 pm »
...will do, Rob :thumb:

al.

rob80b

« Reply #729 on: 2 Dec 2013, 02:29 pm »
For those who may feel the BHA-1 has limited inputs, especially for those who do not have balanced sources, I just wanted to point out that the balanced input will accommodate an SE source with a properly configured RCA to XLR cable/adapter.

Obviously this will not be a fully balanced system if you are using phones from the XLR outputs but the BHA-1 still sounds great either way IMO.

« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2013, 09:48 pm by rob80b »

rob80b

« Reply #730 on: 2 Dec 2013, 02:50 pm »
BHA-1 config to an unbalanced power amp?

deleted until word from Bryston
« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2013, 03:30 am by rob80b »

mkaiser

« Reply #731 on: 2 Dec 2013, 06:20 pm »

Hi Alex

My headphone set-up is right behind me, so no; but I would if I had to get up  if it was across the room, how we've gotten spoiled. Next we'll be seeing all our music digitally stored so one never needs to get up to change a disc/record, mark my word. :lol:

It's already been done. Mac and their little remote controller.  :thumb:

Jozsef

« Reply #732 on: 3 Dec 2013, 02:02 am »
And if one wishes you can continue on to an unbalanced power amp from the BHA-1’s XLR pre-outs with one of these. (well 2 actually) :thumb:

I seem to recall from somewhere that using the BHA-1 as an unbalanced preamp, for example with a 2B-LP non-Pro, would entail connecting an XLR ground from pin1 and hot from pin 2 to an RCA plug while leaving pin 3 unconnected, in contrast with the typical practice of grounding pin3. Am I correct? I prefer to be sure before I try it.

rob80b

« Reply #733 on: 3 Dec 2013, 03:29 am »
I seem to recall from somewhere that using the BHA-1 as an unbalanced preamp, for example with a 2B-LP non-Pro, would entail connecting an XLR ground from pin1 and hot from pin 2 to an RCA plug while leaving pin 3 unconnected, in contrast with the typical practice of grounding pin3. Am I correct? I prefer to be sure before I try it.

Hi Jozsef

You may be correct on that one as the pre-outs are similar to the balanced headphone outs so ignore my suggestion about using the above config to an unbalanced amp, I'll delete the post until further word, maybe Mike at Bryston can clarify it.
I know it works with no problem using unbalanced signal to the the XLR inputs with the config I've shown above, as I've tried it.

Robert

R. Daneel

« Reply #734 on: 3 Dec 2013, 04:22 pm »
Hi Robert!

Yes, I remember that BHA-1 was available only as a headphone amplifier in the beginning but they tell me only the first 100 units were manufactured this way.

It is an interesting story because I was looking for a headphone amplifier just when the BHA-1 was announced. I was interested even though I had no experience with Bryston and frankly, almost never heard of the brand. A good friend reassured me that Bryston was a no-compromise company. I contacted them and they told me I would have to place an order soon because the price was going to be increased by rougly 7%. I didn't even know whether I wanted the preamplifier functionality or not but they told me it would be good to have them because it would give me additional options of connection. They also made it possible for me to have the new version for the old price which was really remarkable. They actually suggested it! I placed an order and waited 6 weeks before it arrived at the dealer's. They called me and I drove 250 km to get it. I then discovered why it took them so long. The amplifier was made 3 weeks after the order was placed!! I suspect the demand was pretty high at that time and I remember James saying they can make 6 units a week. It may look industrial but it feels rather personal, just like their customer support.

I must say I noticed dramatic improvements when I connected the BDA-2 to the BHA-1 via balanced XLR cables. The difference in volume was obvious and I'd say at least 6dB because the gain switch on the BHA-1 compensates for the difference in volume quite precisely. I didn't do any A/B testing because that always fails so I just take my time and listen. I usually listen at very comfortable levels and sometimes for several hours. I can say with no doubt in my mind that balanced connection sounds more resolving. Instruments are more precisely panned and separated and the image sounds deeper and wider. No doubt about it, it sounds more realistic. However, the single-ended connection sounds a bit smoother in the mid-range which is a consequence of lower resolution because it doesn't detract as much from the composition. I am just saying this because I can see why someone would prefer it over a balanced connection.

I haven't tried a balanced cable yet and I don't know how big of a difference it will make, if any at all. I have the Sennheiser HD800 and was looking at the Sennheiser's own cable but the price is really very high. I was never much of a believer in cables and even with this improvement I have noticed, I still maintain it has much more to do with the type of connection / operating principle than with quality of the wire, though, no doubt, Bryston cables are very robust and nicely made.

Cheers!
Antun

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #735 on: 4 Dec 2013, 06:12 am »
I can tell you that I preferred the balanced headphone cable to the 1/4" phono plug cable. I'm not sure if the sound was actually better as much as it is louder (more gain, due to how balanced cables work) though. If you're feeling brave, you can cut the phono plug and re-wire your headphones with a $8 Neutrik XLR connector. :)

rob80b

« Reply #736 on: 5 Dec 2013, 03:36 pm »
What I found, and it took me awhile, was that with the system balanced from input to headphones the sound stage is more naturally laid out. One would think that sharing the ground that things would be more centered but I found the opposite to be true, unbalanced the imaging is pushed more to left and right, fully balanced I’m getting a 180 degrees or better sound stage and depth.
Also FWICT using the balanced input with unbalanced phones is slightly better than balanced phones with a single ended input, balanced throughout being best though.

rob80b

« Reply #737 on: 5 Dec 2013, 03:59 pm »
................. If you're feeling brave, you can cut the phono plug and re-wire your headphones with a $8 Neutrik XLR connector. :)
Give your self a foot before you cut and you can have your cake and eat it to! :thumb:

rob80b

« Reply #738 on: 9 Dec 2013, 01:58 pm »
To keep it the family, thought I'd also post this here.

"Phones imparting the least individual signature, read neutral sounding! "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob80b View Post http://www.head-fi.org/t/694313/phones-imparting-the-least-individual-signature-read-neutral-sounding

"Ok so I’ve had my Bryston BHA-1 all of 3 weeks and resurrected my life as a semi-serious head-fier after a hiatus of 5 years or so.

Spending hours with my past collection of phones; those being the AKG K501s, AKG701s (balanced), Senn HD 580s (600 grills w/ nylon mesh mod, balanced) and Grado SR325is, the BHA-1 bring out the best and the faults of each phone.

I like neutrality but find myself reaching more for the Senns, probably due to the encroaching winter months as they remind me more of cozy ear muffs :), but their rich (warm) mid-range and bass is currently more enticing than the others on hand.

The Grados and AKGs being more neutral sounding but still impart a signature, the AKGs have a more reticent, distant centre image with less bass, and the Grados falling behind the others but only because of the less expansive sound stage but IMO the better chameleon.

So here’s my gripe; with my speaker set-up running my Dynaudio Special 25s powered by a Bryston 4BSST and source Bryston BCD-1, each recording is distinctively different from tonality, sound stage, ambience etc, etc,

the Special 25s impart no overall signature of their own and make me feel I’ve been transported to a different venue or sound studio with each recording.

With each headphone I’m constantly reminded of their individual characteristics, not unpleasant but the illusion is not complete,

and without access or time to try all the current offerings I’d be interested to know which of the current offerings of headphones produce a similar disappearing act if possible.

Haven’t heard any of the planar models and my time with the HD800 was limited and not under optimum conditions, the new AKG K812s may be another contender or even the higher end Grados, so which ones should I focus on, I want it all though; staging/depth, ambience, focus and bass.

Keep in mind that a neutral system IMHO is anything but cold; a rich full bodied recording should be portrayed as just that but a Spartan, sterile performance ought to come across completely differently."

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #739 on: 9 Dec 2013, 03:26 pm »
  I have those same 701 AKG phones. So all I need to do is cut off the phone plug and wire a Nutric balanced connector to get the balanced performance from the phones?  :scratch: