BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

audiokiep

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 With low impedance headphones
« Reply #640 on: 19 May 2013, 01:50 am »
I am using BHa with low impedance headphones, Shure 1440 which are 37 ohms
I like transparency of the combination except the bass which is rather shy.

I have to say that iPhone 4S is able to handle them better. Reviewing specs I noticed that iPhones out impedance is below 1ohm.

Will modding my headphones with balanced connectivity improve the low end? Or should just look for headphones with higher Z?

zydeco

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #641 on: 19 May 2013, 04:46 am »
I’m considering a BDA-2 / BHA-1 combination to sit beside my HD-800 headphones. My set-up, however, also includes a turntable with a balanced phono-amp. The hope was to have a fully balanced, end-to-end, system but the BHA-1 just has a single pair of balanced inputs. I’m not keen on an external switch box (space, cables) and swapping out inputs to the single balanced input is a hassle. Is it correct that the balanced input to BHA-1 is the best option? (Or, put another way, is there a difference is going from BDA-2 to BHA-1 via RCA and XLR?) And is there a recommended work-around or a long-term solution on the horizon?

Zydeco

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #642 on: 19 May 2013, 07:43 am »
I'm speaking out of turn, because I haven't connected with XLR yet. I can say that my BDA-1 and BHA-1 sounded great together via RCA. I *did* use XLR on my headphones, which certainly increased the available volume. I would argue it also cleared up the music. With a nice set of RCA analog cables, I would argue you can make the system work just fine for your purposes.

budcook

« Reply #643 on: 19 May 2013, 01:29 pm »
I’m considering a BDA-2 / BHA-1 combination to sit beside my HD-800 headphones. My set-up, however, also includes a turntable with a balanced phono-amp. The hope was to have a fully balanced, end-to-end, system but the BHA-1 just has a single pair of balanced inputs. I’m not keen on an external switch box (space, cables) and swapping out inputs to the single balanced input is a hassle. Is it correct that the balanced input to BHA-1 is the best option? (Or, put another way, is there a difference is going from BDA-2 to BHA-1 via RCA and XLR?) And is there a recommended work-around or a long-term solution on the horizon?

Zydeco
I've done some experimenting with this.  I've compared balanced Cardas Quadlink cables vs single-ended Cardas Clear Light cables from the BDA-2 to the headphone amp. In order to match the difference in loudness between balanced and single-ended, I switched the gain on the BHA-1 back and forth depending on the cable.  Frankly, I preferred the single-ended Clear Light cables whether using balanced or single-ended output to my Sennheiser HD-650's.  It wasn't an apples to apples comparison because the Clear Light cables cost more than twice what the Quadlink cables cost.

In another comparison, I listened to the BHA-1 driven by the balanced Quadlink cables vs. the headphone output from my BP-17 driven by the Clear Light cables.  Listening to a wide variety of music from a BDP-2, I couldn't make a clear decision about the results because of the big difference in gain but I'd say that I was leaning towards the BP-17. 

So what have I proven?  Probably not much because I haven't done an apples to apples comparison.  I do believe that the quality of the cables is more important than balanced vs. single-ended.

I should add that with short cables (.5 meters in my case), I don't think there is any advantage to balanced cables. 

Marius

« Reply #644 on: 19 May 2013, 09:51 pm »
my impressions:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104028.msg1203066#msg1203066

read the posts in this thread for more...

Cheers,
Marius

Zydeco

zydeco

« Reply #645 on: 22 May 2013, 06:33 pm »
Thanks for the information - Zydeco

budcook

« Reply #646 on: 24 May 2013, 06:50 am »
So, in the end, it finally happened, I got to test the Fully balanced system, from source (BDA1) to HD800.

It happens to be the most influencial change made to my audio setup since the introduction of the 28B's in it. Was the unbalanced BHA a revelation, the Balanced cable to the hd800 a volume solution, the balanced connection from BHA1 to BDA1 is a uncomparable full system upgrade.

I just can not believe the change this makes, it 'degrades' the really wonderful setup before sound like a mere nice stereo headphone. In balanced operation, it is a completely different soundstage. Changing the rca to balanced makes you hear the two channels mix to the desired soundstage, and changing back is a no-go. Things really fall in place, thers one big picutre in your head finally. I now understand the raves.

I must say, I'm astonished about the world of difference. It is so compelling, the balanced connection to my BP26 is gone now. Took it out without any doubt. No brainer. Which in itself is too bad really, because right now I don't use the balanced setup my bp26 gives, and was the sole reason I chose the BP26 in the first place..

I really wish for a second balanced out on the BDA2 or 3 or some kind of other Bryston solution to let me play the BDA1 balanced to my headphone and the BP26 at the same time....

James, didn't you say before you'd be able to modify the bp26 rca outputs into an extra balanced set of outputs? I accidentally tried those today, and noticed neither the volume nor the input selector had any influence on the output, only the source-selctor on the BDA1 changed that  :scratch: :scratch: Please explain what happened: I've connected the BDA unbalanced out to the Bp26 rca outs (can you believe it  :duh: :duh: :duh:) No real problems occurred, it played fine over the speakers.

Marius
After discovering a cabling error in my system I now agree completely with Marius.  Even using balanced Cardas Quadlink vs single ended Cardas Clear Light to my BHA-1, the balanced connection is clearly better.  If I hadn't gone to a BP-17 preamp which has no balanced inputs, I would also be frustrated by the lack of multiple balanced outputs on the BDA-2.

zeiter

« Reply #647 on: 26 May 2013, 10:13 pm »
Is it Ok to connect one balanced pair and one unbalanced pair of headphones at the same time to the BHA-1? Manual says that connecting more than one unbalanced pair while using the balanced outputs will damage the BHA-1. But in my case, one pair is balanced, and one pair is unbalanced, and they will be  connected accordingly. I don't want to take any chance .

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #648 on: 26 May 2013, 11:54 pm »
Is it Ok to connect one balanced pair and one unbalanced pair of headphones at the same time to the BHA-1? Manual says that connecting more than one unbalanced pair while using the balanced outputs will damage the BHA-1. But in my case, one pair is balanced, and one pair is unbalanced, and they will be  connected accordingly. I don't want to take any chance .

No problem - yes OK.

James

Jim Hamley

« Reply #649 on: 28 May 2013, 05:11 pm »
Hi James,
I just ordered a BHA-1 and am now searching for the best headphones. I've read through your posts and, at one point, you named the Audeze LCD 3's as your reference.
Can you comment on the LCD 3's and other units you've tried such as:
Grado PS1000
Sennheiser HD800
HiFiMan HE600,
others?
Thanks, ...Jim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #650 on: 28 May 2013, 05:48 pm »
Hi James,
I just ordered a BHA-1 and am now searching for the best headphones. I've read through your posts and, at one point, you named the Audeze LCD 3's as your reference.
Can you comment on the LCD 3's and other units you've tried such as:
Grado PS1000
Sennheiser HD800
HiFiMan HE600,
others?
Thanks, ...Jim

Hi Jim,

So far I like the LCD 2's best (still have the 3's as well) then the Grados and then the Senn's and then the HE500 in my setup.

james

budcook

« Reply #651 on: 28 May 2013, 08:53 pm »
Hi Jim,

So far I like the LCD 2's best (still have the 3's as well) then the Grados and then the Senn's and then the HE500 in my setup.

james
Now you tell me!  I just ordered HD-800's to replace HD-650's.  I'm also upgrading my headphone cable from Cardas Cross to Clear.  I have 30 days to return the Senns but I don't think I will.

Bud

s4s4s4

« Reply #652 on: 29 May 2013, 12:03 am »
I clearly prefer the HD800's and have listened to all 5 on the BHA. Not only do they sound more like my speakers than the other four they absolutely murder them in the comfort department.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #653 on: 29 May 2013, 01:19 am »
Short version: I like the Audeze LCD-2's (my budget stopped at $1000-ish). I listen mostly to music between Diana Krall and Mumford & Sons (jazz to pop/rock), though i'm finding the nicer my equipment, the more varied my tastes are becoming. Also, take advantage of the balanced headphone input the BHA-1 offers!

Reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-57-headphones-compared-update-ultimate-ears-uerm-added-4-14-13

Long version: I spent a long time reading, hoping to make the best purchase.  I loved this review because it was the same person listening to various headphones, so if I could identify with something we had in common or opposite, i could apply it to all his reviews.

Historically, I'm a long-time Sennheiser fan. They offer the best in comfort and I've loved their sound for over a decade. However, I never owned/listened to anything more expensive than their 500 series (595's were my last), and never with GOOD dedicated amplification. I now work nights AND have a baby on the way, so headphones have become my most frequent method of listening, both to music as well as movies & TV.

Grado RS-1
I started with a new Rega EAR amp (apparently, the new version is better than the original, but I have not basis for comparrison myself) and pair of Grado RS-1's. I found them to be too bright. As I wanted to turn music up, the bright/treble parts literally became somewhat painful due to their volume level. By comparison, i found other parts to be too quiet, especially the bass.

Sennheiser HD700
As a longterm fan of Sennheiser, I figured this was my golden spot. Unfortunately, I felt they also were too "bright", the treble being almost painful at louder levels, though the Sennheiser's were better overall than the Grado's, especailly having better bass.

Sennheiser HD650
I figured the old "gold standard" HD650's would do it, and they did. They had the Sennheiser sound I loved and were well balanced tonally for me, though I did find them a tad "dark"?

HiFiMan HE-500
At the same time I had the HD650's, I had HiFiMan's HE-500, my first planar magnetic headphones. The detail absolutely made short work of the Sennheiser HD650, though I had a real problem getting use to the lack of comfort compared to Sennheiser.

At this point, I got my hands on (and then purchased) a Bryston BHA-1. Such an amazing difference! The Bryston amp is far cleaner, and made me realize the Rega EAR sounded darker and had less detail.

I also noticed something interesting with the HE-500's: as I was listening to Michael Jackson's "Thriller", some of the sounds/effects in the music sounded odd. They had always been in the music, but now they stood out so much that they sounded "apart" from the music. They were absolutely NOT blended in. That made me concentrate more on those sounds, and it completely ruined the "toe-tapping" effect of listening to music in the first place. As i started to listen to other music, I noticed the same thing.

I wholeheartedly believe this is a byproduct of modern day sound studio mixing, and that it would not be present in any live recording or well-recorded music. While the HE-500's are detailed (and to me, "bright"), I didn't not notice this synthetic quality in anything from Diana Krall, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, etc.

Audeze LCD-2
The brightness turned me off though, and I read lots that the Audeze LCD-2's also had a "dark" sound. I got my hands on a pair and fell in love! They are darker without losing detail. Kinda impressive really. That being said, I really believe what the person who reviewed all the headphones in the link I included said over and over: which headphone you like will change depending on what music you are listening to. For me, the Audeze's are it.

Bryston BHA-1
You really should switch to a balanced headphone cable. Regular stereo plugs share the negative terminal of the left and right headphone. I don't know if that is what causes the difference, but the balanced input has more volume range and (to me) better sound stage and musicality.

I had an unfortunate instance where the tip of the stereo headphone jack broke off on two different (brand new) HiFiMan cables. HiFi Man sent me the second set free when the first broke. I had to open the Rega EAR and remove the tip. Ugh. Anyway, after the second set broke, I figured I'd just go to Radio Shack and buy a connector and solder it on. It was a Friday, and I didn't want to miss using my headphones all weekend.

Bryston is kind enough to include the wiring diagram for the balanced inputs in the owner's manual. So I figured why not try that too? I made one pair with a stereo plug and one with balanced plugs. I did some google-ing about soldering and bought some cheap wire and plugs to do a practice run on. I picked up Neutrik connectors at a nearby store and by Friday evening, I was A/B testing the two cables, the only difference being the connectors.

So, soldering the balanced connectors isn't very difficult, should you be so inclined. If you're not though, i highly recommend getting it done. It'll be worth the time and money to get the most out of your BHA-1.

zeiter

« Reply #654 on: 30 May 2013, 03:40 am »
Hi Jim,

james

Same order as James, except I prefer the 3 to the 2, and sold the other three and kept both Audezes

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #655 on: 30 May 2013, 02:36 pm »
The music you like makes a lot of difference.
For classical music IMOnothing touches the Senn Hd800!

Cheers,
Bob

mkaiser

« Reply #656 on: 30 May 2013, 05:55 pm »
I clearly prefer the HD800's and have listened to all 5 on the BHA. Not only do they sound more like my speakers than the other four they absolutely murder them in the comfort department.

The Sennheiser HD800 sound the most accurate and honest. Most audiophiles do not want this from all my observations as they prefer colourations. To each their own I guess.  :scratch:

You will appreciate the upgrade to the Cardas Clear cable with the HD800's. I also went Clear on balanced xlr cable between source and headamp as well. Enjoy the great sound.  :thumb:

budcook

« Reply #657 on: 30 May 2013, 06:14 pm »
The Sennheiser HD800 sound the most accurate and honest. Most audiophiles do not want this from all my observations as they prefer colourations. To each their own I guess.  :scratch:

You will appreciate the upgrade to the Cardas Clear cable with the HD800's. I also went Clear on balanced xlr cable between source and headamp as well. Enjoy the great sound.  :thumb:
I also upgraded the balanced cables to the headamp from Cardas Quadlink to Clear Light.  I was able to a/b the cables before ordering the Clear Light.  Maybe I should reconsider Cardas Clear in this application.

mkaiser

« Reply #658 on: 30 May 2013, 06:54 pm »
I also upgraded the balanced cables to the headamp from Cardas Quadlink to Clear Light.  I was able to a/b the cables before ordering the Clear Light.  Maybe I should reconsider Cardas Clear in this application.

The reason I went with the Clear was I wanted to preserve as much of the sound quality of the signal from the BCD and BHA. Clear cables did this and is certainly more expensive but I found it worth the expense. The better the recording, the better the Bryston/Clear sounds.

Vipers

« Reply #659 on: 30 May 2013, 07:14 pm »

It will certainly be interesting how the balanced Sennheiser cable sounds on the HD800's when launched next month, as I've yet to hear the HD800's balanced yet but many people have told me to hear them at their best they need to be balanced, that is definitely the case with the LCD-3's.

I have a had a couple of customers now that have bought both the HD800's and LCD-3's as they are both totally different but equally as good at different presentations, that is the real beauty of headphones, you can have more than one pair, which you wouldn't normally do with speakers, and it may seem a bit elaborate but for the combined price you would struggle to get a decent pair of speakers for that cost, in high end audio terms quality headphones are a bit of a bargain in my opinion.

Now I have the HDVD 800 on demo, it is really interesting as it definitely gives the HD800's an even more detailed presentation but also helps fill out the sound a little, saying that the BHA-1 is still my favoured head amp, and so far all the customers have agreed, it really shouldn't be underestimated just how good the BHA-1 is, many customers have bought their amps in to try and so far the BHA-1 has seen them all off :)

The BHA-1 really is quite special when it come to headphone amps.