BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

Fido2

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #540 on: 4 Jan 2013, 08:35 pm »
Awesome news! Congrats James and Bryston! My BHA-1 shipped Wednesday. Should have it next week! Hurry up UPS man!

OgOgilby

« Reply #541 on: 5 Jan 2013, 02:23 am »
They tell me SN 60 and up.

james

Huh? Now you know why I don't buy lottery tickets  :duh:

-Greg

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #542 on: 5 Jan 2013, 02:27 am »
Huh? Now you know why I don't buy lottery tickets  :duh:

-Greg

I am going to look into this more Greg.

James

OgOgilby

« Reply #543 on: 5 Jan 2013, 02:50 am »

James

Thanks James.

-Greg

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #544 on: 5 Jan 2013, 10:10 am »
I see on the Bryston website that a table of new specs has been added for the BHA-1.   But nothing listed for the output impedence of the headphone outputs.   I'd really like to see the output impedence listed as part of the specs, so that I know exactly what I'm working with before I buy.   

James Tanner

• Facilitator

muski

Turn off Rear Balanced Outputs?
« Reply #546 on: 12 Jan 2013, 08:58 pm »
Very excited about the BHA-1.  I am a long-time Brystonophile -- I have the BPA-26 (w/MPS-2) & 4BSST for my living room setup.  In my office I currently use a HeadRoom Max Balanced Headphone Amp which I use with balanced AKG-701s and also connected to a pair of Dynaudio BM6 MKII monitors for nearfield listening.  I have a Transporter for each setup (purchased in Bryston's pre-digital era).

The HeadRoom amp is really a wonderful piece of kit -- it's been on pretty much every day for the past six years.  Sadly, it's been discontinued and I'm delighted to see Bryston step up and fill this gap.  I think every music lover should have a high-end balanced amp like this.  Nothing beats it in terms of $ per audio quality/listening enjoyment.

I was really pleased to see that you added a pair of Balanced Outputs to the back of the BHA-1.  However, I noticed that there isn't a switch to turn the rear output on and off.  It's kind of nice to have this to switch to a headphone-only mode without having to reach around and turn off the monitors.  Just an idea for your next rev.

Anyway, congratulations on what looks to be a beautifully conceived & executed product. I can't wait to get my ears on one.

Best,
muski

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #547 on: 12 Jan 2013, 09:22 pm »

Hi :  I know it's been asked before in this thread but I don't think there were any responses so I'm just putting it out there again: Any thoughts from anyone who has tried the BHA-1 with a pair of T-1's?

D.D.

mkaiser

« Reply #548 on: 13 Jan 2013, 12:36 am »
Hi all,

So, has anyone tried the BHA as a preamp? Impressions? I cannot try it till next week when my new speakers are finished being built. May sell my BP26 to fund the BDA2 if BHA compares or exceeds the BP26 performance.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

mkaiser

Re: Turn off Rear Balanced Outputs?
« Reply #549 on: 13 Jan 2013, 12:42 am »
Very excited about the BHA-1.  I am a long-time Brystonophile -- I have the BPA-26 (w/MPS-2) & 4BSST for my living room setup.  In my office I currently use a HeadRoom Max Balanced Headphone Amp which I use with balanced AKG-701s and also connected to a pair of Dynaudio BM6 MKII monitors for nearfield listening.  I have a Transporter for each setup (purchased in Bryston's pre-digital era).

The HeadRoom amp is really a wonderful piece of kit -- it's been on pretty much every day for the past six years.  Sadly, it's been discontinued and I'm delighted to see Bryston step up and fill this gap.  I think every music lover should have a high-end balanced amp like this.  Nothing beats it in terms of $ per audio quality/listening enjoyment.

I was really pleased to see that you added a pair of Balanced Outputs to the back of the BHA-1.  However, I noticed that there isn't a switch to turn the rear output on and off.  It's kind of nice to have this to switch to a headphone-only mode without having to reach around and turn off the monitors.  Just an idea for your next rev.

Anyway, congratulations on what looks to be a beautifully conceived & executed product. I can't wait to get my ears on one.

Best,
muski

I agree on the Headroom amps, I use to own the BUDA. Sold it because I was stupid at the time.... then along can the Bryston and all is well.

Mark

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #550 on: 13 Jan 2013, 04:23 am »
Hi all,

So, has anyone tried the BHA as a preamp? Impressions? I cannot try it till next week when my new speakers are finished being built. May sell my BP26 to fund the BDA2 if BHA compares or exceeds the BP26 performance.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

...Mark, i believe the BHA-1 doesn't include a remote?!?! this could be a disadvantage compared to the 26 :scratch:

al.

mkaiser

« Reply #551 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:30 am »

...Mark, i believe the BHA-1 doesn't include a remote?!?! this could be a disadvantage compared to the 26 :scratch:

al.

Correct, no remote.

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #552 on: 13 Jan 2013, 08:50 am »
Having no remote with volume control is one of my annoyances with the vast majority of headphone amps.  Maybe there's others, but the only ones I know of that do offer remote option is Grace m903 and Benchmark HDR.   I hope Bryston adds it in the future. 

veloceleste

« Reply #553 on: 13 Jan 2013, 04:59 pm »
Hi James,
I'm considering consolidating a B60 I now only use for headphones and a CJ PV5 preamp from a seperate system. I'm considering a BHA-1 for use as a preamp and headphone amp because I'm listening to headphones much more and won't need the CJ because I am getting out of vinyl. My amplifier has unbalanced inputs.  Can I use xlr to phono adapters on the BHA-1 rear outputs and also does the gain switch on the BHA-1 effect the rear outputs?  Since the BHA-1 seems to be being built to order, can a BHA-1 be ordered with unbalanced rear outputs? Thanks.

werd

« Reply #554 on: 13 Jan 2013, 10:37 pm »
Hello James

Is it possible to get a BHA 1 with a mono switch like on a bp25 or 26?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #555 on: 14 Jan 2013, 03:13 pm »

Hi James,

Can I use xlr to phono adapters on the BHA-1 rear outputs

No problem with adapters

and also does the gain switch on the BHA-1 effect the rear outputs?

Yes it does

Since the BHA-1 seems to be being built to order, can a BHA-1 be ordered with unbalanced rear outputs? Thanks.

No sorry that would require a different chassis.

veloceleste

« Reply #556 on: 14 Jan 2013, 08:08 pm »
Thank you, James!

Fido2

« Reply #557 on: 14 Jan 2013, 11:46 pm »
Well Ive had my BHA-1 for about a week now and I must say this amp is Fee-freakin- nominal :). I am running balanced from source to preamp to BHA-1 and I'm running the LCD-2 headphones with a balanced cable as well. This combination is a match made in heaven to my ears. Perfect tonal balance, super deep taut controlled bass, detailed fleshy midrange and smooth treble. I can hear every nuance and texture in voices, strings, synthesizers, drums or any instrument. The emotional content of the music just seizes you because of this. PRAT? You better believe it! Such a relaxed, natural, rythmic flow to the music....Its so intimate, so real and vivid..... just sublime. This is by far the best headphone/amp combo I've ever owned. The LCD-2s sounded great out of my McIntosh C50's preamp headphone jack but they're in another dimension now. I have the Denon AH-D7000 headphones as well but they're out having the crapp headband swivel repaired. I'll report back on how they sound. My little Grado SR80s sounded terrific and were pumpin the bass...lol. Anyway nothing but praises for the BHA-1 !! If you want a stellar combo pick up the Audeze LCD-2s to go with the BHA-1.

lycia

« Reply #558 on: 19 Jan 2013, 12:09 am »

James

What was the result of this investigation, please.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #559 on: 19 Jan 2013, 12:48 am »
What was the result of this investigation, please.

It appears that units up to SN 100 could be either version depending on the chassis.

james